-

Photo

New editions of 4 Muppet movies coming soon! Widescreen confirmed.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
241 replies to this topic

#1 of 242 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 22 2005 - 01:14 PM

Per ultimatedisney.com:

Quote:
A sneak peek on the new catalogue discs reveals some other quite exciting news. Believe it or not, Kermit the Frog is turning 50 this year; his debut television appearance was on Jim Henson's black-and-white program "Sam and Friends" in 1955. In celebration of this golden anniversary, Disney will be rereleasing four of the Muppets' most popular films to Special Edition DVD: The Muppet Movie (1979), The Great Muppet Caper (1981), The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) and Muppet Treasure Island. The promo provides no new release date nor information on bonus features, but ensures the films are "completely restored and remastered." One assumes from the widescreen clips previewed that each will be presented in their original 1.85:1 theatrical aspect ratios, which was not the case when Disney first released Carol and Island to DVD in 2002. We'll have more details for you as soon as they come in!

Well, I'm looking forward. Here's hoping for better-quality versions of TMM and TGMC, plus OAR versions of Xmas Carol and Treasure Island.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#2 of 242 OFFLINE   DavidBC

DavidBC

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 01:59 PM

This is great news, especially if we finally get OAR versions of "Carol" and "Island". Too bad "Muppets Take Manhattan" (their second best movie after the original) isn't included, I'd like to see it get the special treatment as well, but I understand someone else owns this one.
I don't care for modern films. All crashing cars and close-ups of people's feet.
-Lillian Gish

#3 of 242 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 02:09 PM

That's great news. The video and audio quality of the current Muppet Movie DVD is lousy, to put it mildly. The 5.1 mix is particularly awful. Here's hoping it's done right this time.

#4 of 242 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:05 PM

Christmas Carol and Treasure Island in widescreen? Oh please, let it be so!

I believe Disney does own The Muppets Take Manhattan now. Not sure why it wouldn't be rereleased, too. At least the current DVD is OAR.

#5 of 242 OFFLINE   Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 04:00 PM

I had heard a rumor a while back at Ultimate Disney saying special editions of the Muppet movies were being worked on. It's good to hear they really are coming. Hopefully a special edition of Muppets Take Manhatten isn't far off (they have been playing that a lot on T.V. lately).

#6 of 242 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 22 2005 - 04:02 PM

I think the Muppets Take Manhattan is still a Sony-owned property. The old disc is still in print.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#7 of 242 OFFLINE   Colby

Colby

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted July 22 2005 - 04:23 PM

Nope, Disney acquired all the Muppet films when they bought them out. Check this out to see exactly who owns what:

http://forum.muppetc...ead.php?t=18187

EDIT: Upon further reading, it appears that Sony does still have some kind of rights to the film even though Disney owns it.

#8 of 242 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 04:51 PM

I would get them if they're done right.Posted Image

#9 of 242 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 07:07 AM

If these are indeed all OAR, I will buy all four. I haven't touched the current MAR versions of Christmas Carol and Treasure Island, and it looks like my stalwartness is about to pay off. I already own the current disc of The Muppet Movie, but would happily upgrade. I have The Great Muppet Caper only on VHS and have been intending to buy the DVD, but now it looks like I'll be waiting for the SE.

As for Muppets Take Manhattan, I think its absense in this news can be chalked up to popularity. Even though I usually tell people that I'm a fan of the Muppet stuff "made prior to Jim Henson's death", the secret truth is that I don't consider Muppets Take Manhattan particularly good, and I would even go as far as to say that I like it less than at least Muppet Christmas Carol.

But anyway, with these coming out soon, and the first season of The Muppet Show in a week and a half, I think I just might be in Muppet heaven.

#10 of 242 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,852 posts

Posted July 24 2005 - 11:24 PM

Anyone know anything about The Frog Prince? Has it ever been issued on DVD? Any chances we will see it alongside these reissues?

#11 of 242 OFFLINE   Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 03:36 AM

The fact that Disney has put together what looks to be an impressive DVD set for the first season of The Muppet Show is a very good sign for the movies. The studio seems to be listening to the fans on their Muppet releases, so I think we can hope for something really special.

#12 of 242 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 03:09 PM

Quote:
Anyone know anything about The Frog Prince? Has it ever been issued on DVD? Any chances we will see it alongside these reissues?
I don't know, but I would really like to see Hey Cinderella released on DVD.

#13 of 242 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,070 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted July 26 2005 - 01:45 AM

Quote:
The video and audio quality of the current Muppet Movie DVD is lousy, to put it mildly. The 5.1 mix is particularly awful. Here's hoping it's done right this time.
Amen. When the musical fidelity sounds better on the stereo foreign language tracks than it does on a remix of the original language track, you know someone could not (or did not even try to) find the best audio elements.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#14 of 242 OFFLINE   Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 02:08 AM

The original Muppet Movie was one of the first movies I ever saw at a theater so I've got pretty fond memories of it. Can't wait for that one.

And you just can't go wrong with Kermit! He rocks!

Posted Image for this release!

#15 of 242 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 06:14 AM

I'd like to take this opportunity to express my deep and everlasting fondness for the Muppets.

#16 of 242 OFFLINE   Brenton

Brenton

Screenwriter

• 1,169 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 09:37 AM

According to Ultimate Disney:
Quote:
A booklet inside The Muppets' Wizard of Oz reveals that Disney's remastered and restored reissues (which we mentioned last week) of The Muppet Movie and three other Muppet films will arrive in November.

#17 of 242 OFFLINE   Shad R

Shad R

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted July 27 2005 - 12:31 PM

Muppets take Manhattan is the only movie I bought! Cool, now I just need to wait for the rest. BTW, when did Disney get the rights back? I know Columbia had them for a while, then they went to Disney, then back to Columbia, but when did Disney regain the movie rights?

#18 of 242 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 27 2005 - 02:05 PM

When they bought the Muppets recently, it included the copyrights on the first 2 films.

#19 of 242 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 28 2005 - 09:41 AM

Quote:
I believe Disney does own The Muppets Take Manhattan now. Not sure why it wouldn't be rereleased, too. At least the current DVD is OAR.

I thought the current DVD was 4:3? (At least, I think the one I got for free in a cereal box is 4:3!)
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#20 of 242 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted July 28 2005 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
I thought the current DVD was 4:3?

I fished a widescreen copy out of the $5.50 bin at Wally World a few months back. First time I had ever seen the movie the way it was supposed to be seen! Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow