What's new

NHL 2005-2006 Season Game On! Discussion (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Well, I took my own advice and set up a new thread. Time to jump into the shower and wash off that nasty lockout smell. This short offseason is going to be the wildest and craziest offseason ever followed by a potentially unreal regular season. Breakaways, shootouts, Crosby, oh my! I can't wait. October 5th can't get here soon enough when all 30 teams take the ice for the regular season.

Anyhoo, the first rumor I've heard is Ozzie is back in D-town.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The next couple of months should be pretty busy, that's for sure. With new owners and a new GM, my Canucks, who only have 4 players signed, may not be all that recognisable with all the free agents this year. Here's the list from the old thread as to who is available. It will be nice to see the talent spread around a lot more.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
So with the new rules changes, many designed to promote scoring, what do you think will be the point total for the scoring champ this year? 100? 150? More? Are shootout goals counted in the total?

Obviously the NHL was/is in a desperate situation and needed drastic measures, but I hate to see so many fundamental rule changes. It's like baseball changing the distance between bases from 90 to 85 feet, or the NFL making it 9 yards for a first down. So many of the statistics that are the foundation for the game's history become meaningless.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
So who is everybody hoping will end up on their team when the dust settles? I'm hoping our defence stays pretty much as is, but goalies are another matter.

I wouldn't mind Kiprusoff on the Canucks. Modano, Nieuwendyk and Niedermayer wouldn't be bad additions either. Forsberg or Kariya perhaps...

It'll be interesting to see who Detroit, Toronto and NYR dump to get in line with the cap, these teams have a lot of big ticket players, although many of them are well past their prime. What will Chelios do if he can't be clutching and grabbing? I think they mixed up his last name with Kris Draper. :)

I see LeClair and Amonte are the first casualties of the buyouts. I don't think I'd want to be an expensive player right about now.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I probably shouldn't respond to this thread because
my opinion will look like a threadcrap, but as a
former casual hockey fan, I think the shootout idea
S-U-C-K-S. The team element of the game is taken
away with this nonsense. I know the NHL is trying
and will keep trying to get any fans talking about
the game again, but the shootout thing is too radical
a change and a stupid idea.

It will be amazing to see who goes where though. Will
LeClair and Amonte be picked up by anyone? Will Lindros
get any interest from any team? A very hectic and chaotic
time for a sport that is in huge trouble.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't like the shootout either, but hopefully that won't be much of a factor in the majority of games. Are they still handing out a point for an overtime loss? If not, there is more incentive to win the game.

I am very sceptical about the reduced clutching mission, I've heard that every season, and by January it's out the window.

The next week should be pretty interesting, we'll at least see where the RFAs stand, and who is being bought out. Looking at Toronto, Detroit and NYR, there will be more name players in the pool, although they will be signing for a lot less than they would have last year if they want to fit under the tight cap.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I never liked the idea of giving a point for an OT loss. It created the scenario (however unlikely) that a team could lose every single game but still make it to the playoffs with 82 points.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The drug enforcement is certainly a positive move, as long as the tests are accurate - there are many legal substances that can result in false positives. Let's hope few need to learn by example.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The 1 point for an overtime/shootout loss business is stupid. I thought they'd do away with it this year...:frowning:

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The schedule is being released Wednesday at 9am, although Phoenix' schedule has already been leaked. Looks like Ottawa will remain pretty much intact, Vancouver GM Nonis isn't saying much other than they are working on deals, but they haven't presented Naslund with an offer yet. Bertuzzi's return to play situation isn't decided yet, but he is staying in Vancouver despite rumours to the contrary.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
detroit places hatcher, mccarty, and whitney on waivers. hatcher was no surprise, whitney was a good little player, but i'm sad to see mccarty being put on waivers. he is the guy you love to have on your team, but hate to play against.

CJ

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lots of back to back games against the same team in Vancouver's schedule, should make for some heated rematches. No broadcast schedule yet though.

Vancouver has yet to make any announcements of signings or other trade activity, although there is speculation Burke's shopping of the 2nd pick is bait for a Jovo trade. Other rumors include Forsberg coming, both Neidermeyers, Bulin... although most of these are fan wishes, though I wouldn't complain if some were true.

Fans are getting anxious! :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait until Dish Network starts their NHL Center Ice preorder. Man, 15 games on October 5... what to watch?! :D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

John, what league did you watch? The NHL was off so I assume you were watching AHL, college or something else. The reason I ask is although the NHL is the cream of the crop, some of the minor or even junior level hockey is quite entertaining and sometimes more "brutal" than the NHL. College is another game entirely, but still sometimes entertaining on a skills level. I encourage people to go to AHL, college or junior games (my nephew played junior last year, I saw every game I could go to). It's a cheap night out and worth much more than you pay.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Whoohooo!!! Now if we can just get Bettman to go back to ruining basketball, the league can be on it's way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks