Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What happened to this forum?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 12:52 PM

I seem to have missed the cause for the apparent mass exodus from the DIY forum, and where everyone ran off to. What happened?

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Julian Schroeder

Julian Schroeder

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 08:57 PM

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, used to be you'd see a bunch of interesting discussions/projects in this forum everyday... Now it seem's to have died down really quick

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:32 AM

Don't know why, but the hard-core DIY'ers seem to have migrated over to the htguide forum. If there was a single reason, I missed it as well. JP

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Darren_T

Darren_T

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:40 AM

Yup, I was wondering that myself. Very few of the regulars remain and the topics are few and far between. I really used to enjoy reading and viewing peoples work.

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 05:40 AM

I was sort of wondering the same, but I'm also guilty of not being around much anymore. I've reverted back to occasional lurking since a few months after I finished my sub. Now when I get the urge to look at some cool HT projects there's not much new floating around.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 06:15 AM

Cycles. Ying yang. I got sick of some of the attitudes, too, so now all projects are private.
You call that a knife?

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 06:55 AM

It's summer... hopefully everyone is out working on projects. Posted Image

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,210 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted July 22 2005 - 10:27 AM

It's summer and the entire area is under a heat advisory. It will be 100F with a heat index of around 110F in the shade tomorrow. Couple that with the high humidity and I'll be inside enjoying the A/C. -Robert

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 01:09 PM

I ran outta time, so I went the commercial route. My last project was my IB.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg

Screenwriter

• 2,573 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 04:08 AM

I've been consumed/drained at work - was given another division last July - too much work for the time available. I'm working on changing some things so the other guy can handle it by himself and I can get back to devoting full time to my original division. Meanwhile, no energy for new projects. My last project was my GRR A/V-3's which I did in rosewood veneer and they turned out beatiful. I have a prospective customer for a pair of towers, maybe Jon's design, but that's prbably months away. Also, my daughter just got engaged and she and her fiance want me to do two towers and a center for their wedding present, but that's for next July, so it'll be a Winter/early Spring project. Lack of speaker customers keeps me out of the shop. I do have a case of drivers for BozeBusters, and may get motivated to build some more samples. My 18-year son plays guitar, so he's picked out a couple of Eminence 12" drivers, I designed a cabinet, got the parts from P.E. and will cut the wood this weekend. Not a reproducer, but a producer of music - quite a bit of difference and a different level (lower) of drivers. Very specific sound qualities built into the drivers, and guitar players pick drivers depending on their main style of music. Fairly interesting, but NOT the same as hi-fi. I do spend a little time on Jon and Thomas' HT Guide DIY area. Those guys unselfishly share an incredible depth of knowledge.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Orlando

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 08:57 AM

I too have been extremely busy. Trying to keep my IT job in this outsource culture has been trying at best. I have been doing some projects of my own. But for a change not too many questions. Bought a new sub, (sounds great and just two days ago calibrated) had Gregg L. Calibrate my projector and TV with amazing results and building my first Pronto config. (Very time consuming trial and error, but worth it.) First time I've been able to get here is June 16th.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Brad E

Brad E

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 06:28 PM

Everyone must be enjoying their newly built stuff.

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted July 24 2005 - 03:08 AM

I've built both a set of kit61's and Kit41's for a potential customer that flipped flopped and changed his mind after accepting my quote(never even heard them). Getting married in a month and did a sub for a friend. Still got about 4 subs on the floor waiting for boxes but with school/work/wedding no time. Oh and I am slowly starting up my own business....phewwPosted Image

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Justin Ward

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted July 24 2005 - 12:40 PM

I've been doing some DIY but it's mostly smaller electronics. Headphone amp, 24V regulated Power supply and currently a USB to S/PDIF convertor. I do alot of cables myself too. I have some Adire HE 10.1s now, but I feel kind of dirty to admit I bought them pre-built. But in all fairness I did paint them myself.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 07:50 AM

Maybe some of us have realized that DIY, is another name for "never ending quest for perfection..."

So we decided to settle with our current projects and start actually watching movies on them and listening to music. Posted Image

My next project was going to be an 18" tumult, but now that I think about it... Two Tempests is more than enough.

This forum used to be quite the "crackin" place to be. Posted Image

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 12:06 PM

There's only one way to get it hopping again and thats to post our projects, questions, etc so those that may not be as familiar with DIY can get interested.

Oh, and that summer thing does tend to make DIY a bit harder Posted Image
Kyle Richardson
Acoustic Visions

AOL Instant Messenger Name: kyler70
MSN IM: acousticvisions@hotmail.com

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Seth_L

Seth_L

Screenwriter

• 1,553 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 02:20 PM

Interesting answers guys... My version of the dual Adire Extremis 2 way speakers that I was working on are sitting and waiting at my parents house. For some odd reason I just can't seem to get excited or motivated to do anything with 'em.

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Ben Ch

Ben Ch

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 04:23 PM

OK. here's a DIY question I built a version of ThomasW's Ariel Accoustics Klone, the AS-15, 'cept I used a BP-1503 driver and an Adire ADA 1200 subwoofer plate amp. The performance was breathtaking, to say the least - at least until I over-excurded the BP-1503 and it makes a bit of mechanical noise now when in full travel. It still functions at about 80% of it's ability though - so it can still put a Paradigm PW-2200 into fits, and make change while doing it. Now I'm thinking already of my next DIP (I mean DIY) project, how would a vertical column of say 4 mid excursion 12"ers sound in a sealed (and L-T'd, if necessary) enclosure of about 8 ft^3 work? What type of drivers X 4 would best utilize the 1200 watts that the ADA can provide?

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   ThomasW

ThomasW

Screenwriter

• 2,282 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 02:57 AM

I'd buy the reconing kit from Kylke and have someone locally fix the driver. Why do you want 12"s?

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Ben Ch

Ben Ch

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted July 26 2005 - 03:26 AM

I'd gladly re-cone the BP 1503, but there is no material to be found at Kyle's place, and RE hasn't replied to either him, nor me about stock availability. I haven't pursued outsourcing the materials yet, but I'm considering it. I'd think the form factor (WAF) would be better for 12's as opposed to 15's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users