What's new

outdoor speaker wire (1 Viewer)

DustinT

Agent
hey folks.

three of my surround speakers are mounted on walls that face the outdoors... i'd like to run speaker wire under my house, along the siding, and drill holes through the outdoor wall into the living room where these speakers are... thus eliminating the need for me to go into a horribly insulated attic and feeding wire between the walls.

I don't want to go any bigger than 14awg wire because of the needed size of hole i'd have to put in my wall...

BUT, what do you suggest for wire since these are going outdoors? am i going to spend far more than it's worth?

I recently discovered the value of quality cabling when hooking up my Onkyo sub to 14awg monster cable for the first time, so i finally understand how important this is...

thanks,
Dustin

PS:.... anyone use Toslink cables... notice a difference? i'm thinking about picking one up off eBay to try it out. i'm addicted to little upgrades now!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Direct burial wire, which is designed for outdoor use. Even if you aren't burying it, it will withstand the elements.

Wire will only make a noticable difference if you were using a wire that was too small to carry sufficient current for the speaker you were powering.

Toslink vs analog or optical vs coaxial? Don't bother with ebay for digital calbes, you can get them anywhere...

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’m with John: Buy local, especially if you think you’re saving a few bucks buying these off eBay. I picked up a cheap Toslink cable on eBay once and the fit was so loose sloopy I couldn’t even use it. You certainly don’t save any money when you have to buy twice.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DustinT

Agent
very good point-

thanks for the tip on the burial wire, I'll probably do my install this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks