Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

outdoor speaker wire

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   DustinT

DustinT

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 04:32 AM

hey folks.

three of my surround speakers are mounted on walls that face the outdoors... i'd like to run speaker wire under my house, along the siding, and drill holes through the outdoor wall into the living room where these speakers are... thus eliminating the need for me to go into a horribly insulated attic and feeding wire between the walls.

I don't want to go any bigger than 14awg wire because of the needed size of hole i'd have to put in my wall...

BUT, what do you suggest for wire since these are going outdoors? am i going to spend far more than it's worth?

I recently discovered the value of quality cabling when hooking up my Onkyo sub to 14awg monster cable for the first time, so i finally understand how important this is...

thanks,
Dustin

PS:.... anyone use Toslink cables... notice a difference? i'm thinking about picking one up off eBay to try it out. i'm addicted to little upgrades now!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted July 21 2005 - 05:18 AM

Direct burial wire, which is designed for outdoor use. Even if you aren't burying it, it will withstand the elements.

Wire will only make a noticable difference if you were using a wire that was too small to carry sufficient current for the speaker you were powering.

Toslink vs analog or optical vs coaxial? Don't bother with ebay for digital calbes, you can get them anywhere...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 10:44 AM

Quote:
Direct burial wire, which is designed for outdoor use.
Yup. More specifically, low voltage lighting cable. It looks like black lamp cord and readily available at most hardware stores, reasonably priced in 16-,14-, and 12-ga. sizes. Any direct burial wire is also suitable for sunlight exposure, so basically it’s good for anyway you want to us it outside.
Quote:
i'm thinking about picking one up off eBay to try it out. i'm addicted to little upgrades now!
I’m with John: Buy local, especially if you think you’re saving a few bucks buying these off eBay. I picked up a cheap Toslink cable on eBay once and the fit was so loose sloopy I couldn’t even use it. You certainly don’t save any money when you have to buy twice.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   DustinT

DustinT

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 03:14 AM

very good point-

thanks for the tip on the burial wire, I'll probably do my install this weekend.

Forum Nav Content I Follow