• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted July 20 2005 - 11:45 AM

I was sure by now that HTF would have posted the Constantine review.

I've noticed that not only on this site, but others as well, DVD reviews aren't posted like they were a couple of years ago. DVD-Basen is having less and less reviews of popular movies, more importantly, movies that you want to see a DVD review on. (ie special effects, audio etc)

Just wondering if this is preparing for the HD-DVD reviews that will be hitting shortly.

I dunno, kinda makes me sad...Posted Image

#2 of 23 Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted July 20 2005 - 12:47 PM

If you are wondering whether to buy/rent it, I'd be saying yes. The film looks pretty damned good and the sound quality rocks. I wasn't too keen on the movie... a little disappointed... but the features are exhaustive on the Deluxe Edition, and the price difference is nominal. If you liked the movie, get it.

#3 of 23 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted July 20 2005 - 01:47 PM

I liked it because I hardly ever see this sort of subject matter (Hell, demons, etc.) given the big budget treatment. Worth the price, if only for some nice demonic eye candy...
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#4 of 23 SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted July 20 2005 - 03:13 PM

Technically this was a great movie to look at. Unfortuantely everything else about it is terrible, I found myself bored and looking at my watch to see when it would end.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#5 of 23 Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 01:09 AM

I don't know, I've watched the first 30 minutes and so far I think it's great! I had to turn it off due to my newborn crying. Priorities right?

So it looks and sounds great so far!

Can't wait to watch the rest this weekend. Posted Image

#6 of 23 Dave>h

Dave>h

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 02:27 AM

HI,

I finished watching this last night and have to say that bothe audio and video qulaity were excellent.

I have a 61" Samsung DLP, which is not always very forgiving of poor transfers and this film looked great!

On the audio side, their were lots of excellent panning effects and some very deep bass which will give your sub a work out. Regretably, there is no DTS soundtrack but the DD track is excellent. Overall, I found the soundtrack to be very natural sounding, given the subject matter.

Not a lot of room for subtlety on this sound track, it is very in your face, but personally, I found it to be excellent. One of the best recordings I have heard thus far this year.

Regards,

Dave

PS, I am a Hellblazer fan and while Keanu isn;t who I would have picked to play Constantine, I think he did a really great job and the movie held up very well through out. I was not bored in the least.

#7 of 23 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 21 2005 - 05:35 AM

re: lack of reviews

Different studios have different policies -- some of them are very strict about sending out pre-release copies of certain films. Also, sometimes screeners just don't get sent out on time for whatever reason. There is also the chance that the reviewer who would handle a particular release is unable to write it up for personal reasons (could be away that week, or have job commitments, etc.).

I would recommend that if there's a film that you're *really* keen to see reviewed, then post something here or PM the reviewer who handles that studio a few weeks in advance. Our time is limited, and if there's a title that members are anxious to see written up, especially if it's something obscure (which this one isn't), it's helpful to know in advance so we can plan ahead.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#8 of 23 Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 06:23 AM

See it specifically for Stormare and Swinton. Those two roles were head and shoulders the best things about the movie for me.

I debated picking it up myself, but while the film as a whole was nicely refreshing in giving us a special effects laden view of demons and hell, the Matrix-esque cramming of holy shotguns just ruined it for me. Reeves is okay, but man wouldn't it have been fun if the same story were wrapped around Harry D'Amour from Clive Barker's books an Lord of Illusions movie?

#9 of 23 Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted July 21 2005 - 07:14 AM

I watched this last night from Netflix and I think I'll buy it. I thought the picture and sound were great, but I had to crank up my center channel because the dialogue seemed really soft, especially Keanu, compared to everything else. I read through the discussion thread and there were some comments to that effect in there as well so I think that's just how the film was mixed and it's not a DVD problem. There is a scene in the film where a bunch of different phones are ringing that makes for a great directional effects demo.

I have read a couple of Hellblazer comics but not enough to taint my enjoyment of the film. Peter Stormare is freakin' awesome in this as someone mentioned above. This is a rocking movie that I definitely recommend.

#10 of 23 Grant H

Grant H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 06:40 AM

Mine 2-discer came today from Overstock; I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend. This is one I would have liked to have seen a second time at the theater.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#11 of 23 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted July 22 2005 - 02:57 PM

Great visuals of demons and hell. Poor story and not one character to hang your hat on.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#12 of 23 StephenP

StephenP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 03:04 AM

This is one film I actually regret not buying the 2 disc. I liked it much more than I thought I would.

#13 of 23 SteveJKo

SteveJKo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 03:44 AM

Great visuals of demons and hell. Poor story and not one character to hang your hat on.

Well, at least I'm not alone.
You're In The Show With Todd-AO!

#14 of 23 Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 03:48 AM

in the same boat as most folks --

visuals were great, story sucked as did Keanu Reeves, who mumbled his way through the movie playing the same character that he did in the Matrix movies. I can't believe this guy is picking up $20 million checks for his movies.

Imagine if Keanu Reeves and Viggo Mortensen were to make a buddy cop movie.

#15 of 23 DavidPla

DavidPla

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 05:01 AM

I thought Keanu Reeves was actually one of the high points of the movie and I'm usually not a fan of his other than the first "Matrix" and "Bill & Ted".

#16 of 23 StephenP

StephenP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted July 25 2005 - 06:04 AM

Anyone familiar with the comic: what is the deal with his arm tattoos? What was he trying to do when Gabriel stopped him?

#17 of 23 Will_B

Will_B

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,733 posts

Posted July 31 2005 - 05:18 PM

Quote:
had to crank up my center channel because the dialogue seemed really soft, especially Keanu, compared to everything else. I read through the discussion thread and there were some comments to that effect in there as well

I had to watch it with subtitles on! I thought it was because Keanu's character was meant to be the kind of person who mutters.

Quote:
Anyone familiar with the comic: what is the deal with his arm tattoos? What was he trying to do when Gabriel stopped him?

I'm not familiar with the comic, but in the deleted scenes you can see that when he puts his arms together like that and says some mumbo jumbo, any demons that have their cloaking sheilds up or are being invisible or whatnot come into view.

Gabriel didn't wait for the spell to force him/her to reveal her/himself, he/she just decloaked on his/her own.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#18 of 23 Manus

Manus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 04:07 AM

Review up at dvdtimes now. Available here

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=57972

M
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#19 of 23 craig_curtis

craig_curtis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationGlen Ridge, NJ

Posted August 01 2005 - 07:15 AM

I enjoyed the movie as well. some pretty creepy stuff, which is fun. I did notice the low audio mix. It was clear, but I had to turn it up more than I usually do.

So what were some of you guys expecting? movies like this are more or less used to sell popcorn. I don't read too much into watching them, other than to feed my imagination, and just enjoy the movie. Occasionally there are exceptions that make a movie even better, but sometimes its nice to just watch a movie, and not overanylize it!
Signature? What signature?!

#20 of 23 Ron-P

Ron-P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,283 posts

Posted August 01 2005 - 11:15 AM

Rented and watched this the other night. Enjoyable one time see with some great PQ and SQ. Not something with a high rewatch factor though.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow