What's new

Swans pro speaker looks very interesting: (1 Viewer)

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
They're more than your wife wants you to pay. I found the ribbon tweeters at parts express and they're 90 bucks each. I'm not sure how much the woofers are.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Pro speakers!

Actually, if they can really produce 35 Hz., I would be very impressed!

More about the sheer power output - then hand it off to a subwoofer.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I don't understand the logic of handing off the lower frequencies to a subwoofer that has a smaller driver???

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes, 35 Hz is pretty amazing for a pro speaker with a 100 dB efficiency rating! I wonder if you can actually buy these anywhere. I’d be kinda leery about getting a sound reinforcement speaker from a hi-fi company, though. It doesn’t matter how good it sounds if this thing can’t stand the punishment pro speakers typically get.

That’s easy: Cabinet design. Many pro audio subs use huge horn-loaded cabinets that maximum low frequency output in a way that a standard three-way cabinet can’t.

But why do you assume a smaller driver? It’s no problem finding pro subs with 18” drivers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
tweeter-$56 x 8= $448. midrange-$28 x 8= $224. woofer- $ 93.22 x 8= $568. That's $1,240 in parts alone plus a crossover and a lot more cash for having swan build them. I'd easily say they're over 2-3 thousand dollars.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
In my mains I have 15" pro woofers and I get good 40hz response - not much below that. But it's easy to forget how deep 40hz really is. The lowest bass note on an electric guitar is 42hz. Pro audio is optimized for high output, low distortion, and ruggedness. Optimize a sub cabinet for LFE and you're set.

My LFE is a typical 90L DIY, 12" and I have zero complaints. The Who's DVD's I've seen so far will literally blow you out of the room, and it's clean, clean, clean. No wonder Townsend has hearing issues.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I think I'm -10 at 33, near as my meter can tell. So long as it's clean.

I remember JBL's tech sheet showing a sine wave of 35Hz being reproduced by the L100/4311 at a good power level, it was perfect.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Remember pro-speakers have to sound good from very long distances. Household speakers tend to loose much power after a few yards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks