What's new

MONSTER HOUSE (also to be in 3-D) (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
First CHICKEN LITTLE...and now MONSTER HOUSE.

According to today's Hollywood Reporter, the film will be released in polarized, clear glasses 3-D on minimum 100 screens via digital projection in July 2006. (CHICKEN LITTLE gets the same treatment this November.)

This is the way to do it; a wide flat release and good quality 3-D in selected theatres in major markets. As the digital projectors get cheaper and more common, of course the number of 3-D screens will increase greatly. Hopefully we'll be up to 1000 or so by the time BATTLE ANGEL is ready for release...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Our house was plain and simple.
It was safe and normal.
It was nice and sweet.

But we all agreed we could use a change,
And then something happened that was very strange.

'Cause a van showed up.
All our stuff went flyin',
And my mom was cryin' till the job was done.
Now it's a monster house.
It's a monster house.
It's a monster house.
And we all just love it it's a monster house.

I just hope they go back and show a few past projects to get people up to speed. I want to see the Viking dragon breathing fire in 3D.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure you guys are kidding, but if not, we're talking about a Robert Zemeckis' produced CGI film here! It's using the same motion capture technology that POLAR EXPRESS did.

I'd see a 3-D monster truck film anytime though!

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, could you possibly explain how the left-right 3-D images for CGI animated films such as THE POLAR EXPRESS and MONSTER HOUSE are actually created? I'm assuming they're crafted as separate streams via computer technology (like separate reels of film), to be merged into the finished release print(s)? I've looked all over the Net for an explanation of this, and come up empty-handed. I'm assuming that most upcoming live-action 3-D films will employ either dual-camera acquisition or In-Three's Dimensionalization process - either way, they can easily be converted to the frame-sequential/digital presentation format which will characterize the New Wave of 3-D movies.

But animated movies are a different kettle of fish: For example, I thought the Real-D 3-D process was an actual bona fide 3-D production format (like Natural Vision or Spacevision, etc.), but it turns out to be no more than a projection technology. As such, I thought I'd ask for some kind of clarification regarding the way in which some of the upcoming digital movies are actually being filmed, as opposed to the way in which they will eventually be projected.

All help gratefully received. :D

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I would think that making a 3D version of a computer animated movie is fairly straightforward, especially when considering the initial cost and resources in making the movie. For each scene, the location of the virtual camera would just need to be split into two seperate cameras, and the movie rendered twice, once for each eye/camera, and the appropriate polarization or red/blue tinting applied when recombining.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Bite your tongue! No red/blue tinting allowed! Clear polarized glasses only!

From my understanding you are correct in how they are created though.

Meanwhile, THE ANT BULLY, another CGI project, will also be released in IMAX 3-D on the same day as the 2-D release in Aug 2006.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's just me, but to be honest, I'm not terribly enthused about the movies which have so far been announced for 3-D release in the coming year. Aside from BATTLE ANGEL, they're mostly kids' movies. Not that there's anything wrong with movies for little'uns, but as an adult, I'd like something to get my teeth into, thanks very much. Sadly, BATTLE ANGEL doesn't fill me with any degree of expectation, either (I'm not a fan of FX-dominated sci-fi). FINAL DESTINATION 3 had been touted as a possible 3-D movie, and that woulda been something to look forward to, but the last time I looked, it was being produced as a regular 'flat' movie after all.

Ah well, it's early days yet. I'm assuming the roll-call of upcoming 3-D movies will grow exponentially in due course, and there's bound to be more than a few enticing nuggets thereabouts. We shall see...

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
From the trailer, it seems that this will be a deeper 3-D experience than CHICKEN LITTLE.

Most of the shots look like they are well staged for depth and there were even some gimmick shots in there! (The kids will expect a few of those.) It should look awesome in polarized digital 3-D.

I'm looking forward to this one more than the other 3-D family films in production.

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Will any of these films get 3-D DVD releases? I don't see why not. I love 3D whenever I see it but its used so little in cinema for crap like Spy Kids while so many great movies are stuck in two dimensions.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I doubt you'll see 3-D home versions for some time.

Besides the technical issues and special equipment required for *quality* 3-D at home , the incentive is to get people to come back to the theaters to see something they can't at home, even on their HDTVs.

For example, while THE POLAR EXPRESS DVD is now out, the IMAX 3-D version is coming back to theatres.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I've noticed the Digital 3-D version is being played up in the advertising more for this one than they did with CHICKEN LITTLE. I guess since they've got more screens set up this time? I've seen several commericals on TV mentioning the 3-D version recently.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the 3-D is incredible in the film and the movie is the best I've seen this year as well. goodtimes all around.

Adam

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
That's good to hear...I'll check it out this weekend.

It now appears that at least 215 screens will be running the Digital 3-D version starting Friday. (That's quite a jump from the 85 than ran CHICKEN LITTLE in 3-D.)

I just read a review in Variety that stated the pic was obviously designed for maximum effectiveness in 3-D; the trailer seemed to indicate this also. I'm glad my area has a Real D equipped theatre so I don't have to settle for the flat version!

In related news, the Real D site has a press release dated to day that Carmike Cinemas has signed on for an additional 150 screens to be adapted this year. The DLP 2-D/3-D rollout is finally starting to happen it seems.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I saw this on Friday...Simply AWESOME. For me this flick is on par with stuff like The Goonies, The Burbs and other great '80's films. I LOVED this flick and though this to be THE movie of the summer. It's great not only for the a whole family, but even if you're just some dude. Great flick! Very funny! And awesome animation. This is on par with most stuff that Pixar has put out. It has that much heart.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Woo! The theater just down the road from our house is showing this in 3D. This went from 'might-see' to 'gonna-see-it-this-weekend' status. I think seeing Superman in IMAX 3D got me in that mood; reminds me of the 'good old days' when Jaws 3D and Friday the 13th 3D came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks