What's new

soundproofing (1 Viewer)

Jan asa

Auditioning
Hi: Hope I'm doing this right and following the rules.
I'm building a new media room and wonder about different sound proofing options:
1. acoustiblok on all walls and ceiling?(16.1 oz.material which I believe is the lighter weight stuff)
2 using rockwool in all the walls possibly in addition to acoustiblok?
3 Using a new product called QuietRock instead of acoustiblok? (its a sheetrock that has the built in soundproofing already and goes up just like sheetrock.Supposed to have an stc of about 52 just like acoustiblok)

Any knowledge about above products or suggestions for effective sound proofing really will help this pilgrim.
BTW, door into room will be solid corewith insulated jam and sweep.Window will be covered by drapery/added proofing and blackout. Jan asa

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The key to effective soundproofing is isolation and mass. The further you move from either, the less effectiveness you can expect. Keep that in mind when choosing your products.

Even with the products you mentioned, a good way to enhance their effectiveness is to use double 5/8” sheetrock on both sides of the wall(s).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thomas_A

Second Unit
hehe... My media room is really close too done. Contractor was putting in base boards and such. Echos like a sib. Feel like I'm in an ampitheater! Wall treatments should take care of the trick. Pics will be posted....

Good luck with the media room! Its a fun experience.

Jan asa

Auditioning
Steve: green glue sounds incredible. Really appreciate the info. Will keep you posted as to the progress... and final choices. thanx;) :) :) Jan asa

Jan asa

Auditioning
thanx Tom and Wayne. Mass sounds right to me and the internet has provided a lotta theory and alternatives.Tom, I don't have the nerve to wait till built out to add panels.What if sound still blows into surrounding rooms? Double rock is recommended with acoustical mat between (heavy labor intensive and expensive, of course. I'm intrigued by Steve's find on green glue but most intrigued by the QuiteRock which is a 5/8 rock with a layer of steel and poly vinyl embedded.It is installed just like sheetrock with STC of about 52.I'm getting pumped. thanx to all.I'll be seeking everyone's help in final equipment selections also. Jan asa

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Hey Jan,

Where are you finding this Quietrock? Are you ordering it online, or is someone carrying it in stock?

Gods Love
chris

Thomas_A

Second Unit
Jan...the main wall...that shares with my new Master Bedroom is a double wall...double insulated. 2 walls are outside walls and the last wall is into the den wich will require the most treatments! Add the fact i'm doing wood floors!!! hehe. fun fun fun...

Kevin Magee

Agent
I have both Green Glue and Acoustiblok in my room walls. The Green Glue works as advertised. QuiteRock is very expensive, multiples of the same performance wall contructed with Green Glue. I believe the wall with the highest ever tested STC is one constructed with Green Glue.

movie fanatic

Auditioning
Real Name
Erin Smith
We have an older house and are trying to cheaply convert one of the rooms into our theatre room. Is the dark, heavy soundproofing curtains enough, or do I need to tear the walls apart and add more to the construction of the room? I am not thinking that would be a fun project, so I hope the curtains are enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks