What's new

Stargate SG-1 New season (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
So what did everyone think of Browder joining the cast? I watched it for the first time since it was on Showtime. I thought it was decent. I'll admit I was pretty much lost but it was good. Claudia Black looked amazing as always. :D

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
It looks like we're getting a fresh start here in terms of some characters. The leather chick was a riot in the ep from last year (also one of Daniel's funniest lines - "Olo...Hans Olo."

I liked the whole Merlin/Avalon tie in, and can't wait to see what's going to happen.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Can't wait to watch. I taped Friday's show but I'm thinking about waiting until I have the first 3 episodes taped, so I won't have to wait a week between each part.

Did watch Atlantis, it was good.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm not quite sold on Cameron Mitchell yet. I love Ben Browder (hunka hunka) but his character on SG-1 is very much the eager beaver (ooh, be on my team!!) which I expect to fade in the following eps. It will be interesting to see the group dynamic once Sam is back after 9.5. Vala (Claudia Black) is so good they should keep her around as a full time recurring character. General Landry is kind of 'meh' at this point (would have been happier with Gen. Hammond). The best part of the episode was Merlin = Ancient.

Atlantis was 'WHAM' right out of the gate. Love the Daedalus and it's about time Atlantis had a functioning ZPM! The new characters were good, especially Novak & Hermiod. I'm curious to see how Ford's replacement fits in and how they handle 'the search for Ford' storyline this season.

RickGr

Second Unit
My only questions on both Stargates is will we get the full opening music/credits next week? I love both themes and on a home theater they sound really good.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I havent watched the show on a regular basis. Never thought it was good enough to watch week after week but I admit Ben and Claudia got me to watch this and they were both Great. I thought Ben did a great job and Claudia was good too. What is the history of her character? Was she on only last year?
I liked the line to Cameron Mitchell, "Youuuu, I Dont know".

Roger_R

Second Unit
Vala was in one episode last year, Prometheus Unbound. There's a full transcript here if you feel like reading. :)

Seems like the short openings are here to stay according to this. At least we'll get a full opening on the DVD releases (maybe).

Arild

Supporting Actor
Appearantly not. From what I understand, Sci-Fi demanded shorter opening sequences so that they get more air time for commercials. :thumbsdown:

I, for one, absolutely hated the short openings.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Her character appeared last year in the episode "Prometheus Unbound". It was also a good episode.

I really enjoyed the first episode. The chemistry between Black and the others was enjoyable to watch.

It would be kind of nice if Claudia Black was a regular (and not just because she looked smoking in the black leather) but I don't think that is going to happen.

Edit: I see Roger answered the question while I was away from the computer.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Thanks for the link for PROMETHEUS UNBOUND.

From what I have read, she will be a recurring character. That may keep me watching.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It's my understanding that Claudia Black is only signed for the first 5 episodes this season, to take up the load with Amanda Tapping out on maternity leave. Has she been signed for more episodes?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Well that's a bummer. I love the openings. I thought they just did it for the season openers so as not to give away who's i and who's out of the shows.

Anyway, as tired as I thought SG-1 was getting, this new blood might give it some much needed new life. Great to see Ben and Claudia again.

Ric

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Funny, I thought the Merlin tie in was the weakest part of the episode. Ben and Claudia were very good. Browder seems to be trying really really hard to not be his character from Farscape. I always thought his acting range was limited on that show. We shall see.

I absolutely loved the fact that they wrote a joke into the script about how Ben and Michael look alike. I swear I said this to my wife years ago when Farscape was still on. I know, it's obvious. :)

I cannot specify what bugged me about the Merlin as Ancient angle. I will wait until the two-parter is done to offer a full opinion.

I do look forward to next week.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I liked the Merlin tie-in. It's interesting to see various old Earth mythos tied-in to the Goa'uld and Ancients.

IMHO, Ben & Michael do not look that much alike, definitely would be able to easily tell them apart, even without the beard.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I was kind of hoping Claudia would say to Ben "Have we met?". I do like her talk about being pregnant and who the father might be with a wink at the camera.

I told my wife that Claudia probably went to the writers and said "Alright, which one of you geeks came up with this outfit?". You can see she had trouble breathing sometimes from the tightness of the corset. That and a wardrobe malfunction seemed imminent.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
She did say something to that effect right after she stepped out of the Stargate. Something like, "We haven't met. You I'd remember." Personally, I think these little nods just seemed forced. Except the pregnant one, that was kind of funny.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The only thing I've heard is that Battlestar set another new record rating (3 million viewers, IIRC), which made them the most watched basic cable program for key demographics. I'm really curious to see what Atlantis and SG-1 pulled down, especially with the revamping.

EDIT: I checked with Gateworld and they have posted the numbers:

"The season premieres of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis failed to attract big numbers on July 15, staying about even with last season's average viewership. But the shows did help make The SCI FI Channel the top-rated cable network for the night among viewers 18 to 49 and viewers 25 to 54.

SG-1 started off the night of premieres with "Avalon, Part 1," introducing new cast members Ben Browder ("Cameron Mitchell") and Beau Bridges ("Hank Landry"). The episode earned a 2.1 average household rating, or approximately 2,610,000 viewers.

This is a 5 percent improvement over the mid-season premiere in January, but down from the 2.4 rating earned by the Season Eight premiere one year ago. Season Eight averaged a 2.1 rating for new episodes.

Stargate Atlantis continued the night of premieres, with "The Siege, Part 3" earning a 2.2 household rating. As with its sister show, this is a slight improvement over the January premiere (which earned a 2.1, or +6 percent), but slightly down from last season's 2.3 average. About 2,783,000 viewers tuned in for the resolution of last March's cliffhanger."

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
What do you think of the rating numbers? Is BSG simply more popular or is it a combination of more hype, NBC replay and a better timeslot for a Friday? I like them all but if I could only pick one it is SG-1.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just wanted to pop in and say that I really liked both episodes. I thought Browder and Black were both great on SG-1, and I loved the Merlin tie-in. Atlantis was solid the whole time. I'm really interested to see the arc this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks