What's new

*** Official THE WEDDING CRASHERS Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "The Wedding Crashers". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an Official Discussion Thread.

Crawdaddy

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was a good old fashioned R-rated comedy filled with adult sitautions and the use of swear words that adults would use in such situations to express themselves. Loved the chemistry between Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. There were quite a few moments of nervous laughing from build-up of the characters interacting with one another that had me in stitches, I think I even slapped my knee a few times as well. Also, the screenplay sprinkles in quieter scenes to let the audience catch their breath, and allowed for a nice flow to the film.

If the concept of wedding crashing intrigues you, check out this film, it's got plenty of laughs for you if you relax and just go along for the ride.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wedding Crashers
7 of 10

The strength of the film is the chemistry between Wilson and Vaughn when they get put into the right situation, and that situation is a weekend with the family of a senator they meet at a wedding. That wedding and the subsequent time with the family will remind you a bit of Meet the Parents and is by far when the film is at its best. In some scenes Vaughn and Wilson go at it almost as good as Lemmon and Curtis in Some Like It Hot.

Unfortunately the film has 2 very poor parts, the beginning and the end. :)

This hilarious weekend is sandwiched between a very slow start in which there are very few good jokes mined out of what should be a quite funny premise (them sneaking into weddings) and a mostly dragging post-weekend that feels like about 3 endings too long.

There are a couple of laughs in these sections but not nearly enough to be considered great comedy. Thankfully that core middle section contains enough to make the whole film a pretty good, though not great, time at the movies.

PS - no post credit gags in this film

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it had a good start, but become a pathetically predictable flufly love-story afterwards. The end could easily have been 30 minutes shorter and was a eyes-roll fest.

Some funny moments, though.

5.5 / 10

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was disappointing in that it had the right combination to be truly great but opted to play it safe and ended up as only average.

The beginning montage of slideshow weddings was bad. It appeared like a trailer gone mad. I tried to forgive this beginning and probably would if the rest of the movie went off like a bang but it didn’t so I will complain. I liked Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson as the two crashers but they could have been a little more relaxed around each other instead of appearing as if each was trying to out due the other.

My main problem is that it was like a bad roller coaster, it had its good moments then slowed down to boredom, then it picked up and appeared to be on a role then it slowed down and became boring again. It never rode the wave of laughter and instead became identity confused between a flat out comedy and a drama.

The house scenes were the best and this should have been milked for every creative thing imaginable but instead it just showed a flash of potential and slowed again. This movie seemed afraid of loosing control and hit the brakes whenever the comedic speed starting gaining momentum.

My favorite parts are with the family and the crazy daughter. They did a good job with her and Vaughn but should have added more with the Artistic Son and much more with the mother. Walken was comatose and should have had tons of funny things that he could react to or have some funny secrets that we could enjoy.

If there is a sequel, I hope they have the guts to go full steam funny and leave that other stuff for the lifetime channel.

This movie is unable to cash in on its potential. Still worth seeing but man, it could have been great. Maybe it will be a homerun next time.

C

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i really didn't even want to see this, but wifey made me go ... and i'm glad i did.

i laughed out loud at many parts. there were even a couple of 'something about mary' type moments that had me going "i can't believe what i'm seeing".

vince vaughn was a riot in this ... i think he took every scene he was in. owen was still great though, but vince was my fave.

i agree that there were some lulls, but they weren't so bad that they took me out of the film. some stuff like the crazy family angle could have been left out ... i didn't really buy the mom, son, or grandma bits -- but i guess they had to develop the backstory and highlight those characters since they were staying at the home. i was telling wifey i felt they could have chopped about 20 minutes and cleaned up the story a tad.

i actually kinda like it that walken played it straight in this. in every movie he is "expected" to have that bizarre monologue, so i'm glad i didn't have to deal with it this time.

patrick mentioned the good ol' r-rated comedy ... that's a good description. anyone remember porkys? ;)

i give this a B.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Too Long? Yes.
Disjointed at times? Yes
Rough start and overly sappy ending? Yes.

One of the funniest movies I've seen in years? Without a doubt.

I enjoyed Dodgeball, Something about Mary and Anchorman. This is in the same type of slapstick genre, but "Wedding Crashers" is the only one of the lot that I will pick up on DVD street release date.

I think you have to like Vaughn and Wilson to get the most out of this movie. I'm a huge VV fan, so this was right up my alley. I was still chuckling hours after the film ended.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The audience, and I, were laughing so loud that we couldnt hear dialogue after some jokes. That hasn't happened in a long time. Ah comedy, where have you been?

This movie was way funnier than Cinderella Man. Don't let anyone tell you different.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Without a doubt the funniest movie in years. To be quite honest Scary Movie comes to mind as the last movie that had me lauging like this.

I went to see it last night with about 8 of my late 20 something friends and we all agreed to the level of hilarity it provoked.

Two things for me:
The dinner scene with the handjob...I could not catch my breath

and

The cameo by Will Ferrel. We had applause at my theater and this was for a late night cheap night viewing.

Vince Vaughn was at the top of his game and everything that came out of his mouth was funny...but not only that his facial expressions killed me two.

9/10 for a little bit of a lull before the ending.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
Even though I agree the ending was a predictable sappy copout (smacks of studio cookery), I thought this was the best comedy since BAD SANTA. I Take it back. TEAM AMERICA is the best comedy since BAD SANTA. WEDDING CRASHERS is the best comedy with stringless actors since BAD SANTA.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
watched it last night...

the acting was great.. most people say vince vaughn stole the show, but i think him, wilson and mcadams did very well... (it might help that mcadams was soooo damn cute).

ive always loved vince vaughn, since swingers (actually after watching 'crashers' me and my friends popped in SWINGERS).

though it was kinda lovey-dovey, i felt scenes wtih wilson and mcadams were very 'natural', especially like the scene on the beach.

i went in with very high expectations, unfortunately it didnt meet up to them, although it was still very good. it dragged on a bit at the end, and i felt the laughs weren't as huge as i was looking forward to.. but overall, a solid comedy.

B+

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I loved it. I laughed my butt off actually. Very, very funny and great character development - more than Spielberg lately in fact.

Highly recommended 9 of 10. Future comedy classic. :)

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Loved it. You know a movie was worthwhile seeing when you try to remember all the humorous parts and lines as you're leaving the theater. Lots of laughter at the showing that my wife and I attended. Vince Vaughn was hysterical in this one. I'm with Ryan...I can't remember laughing this much watching a comedy in the theater since Scary Movie.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this tonight.

One of the funniest movies, of any rating to come along in quite some time. I am a big fan of both Wilson and Voughn and they both delivered in this film. It may have been a bit too long, but it is hardly the first film to have that problem.

9/10.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I caught Wedding Crashers yesterday. I thought it was a terribly uneven film, but a good one none the less. I agree that it could have easily been trimmed down by 20-30 minutes and been a better movie for it. Vince Vaughn was absolutely hilarious and really hit his stride in this role. Owen Wilson? Well, Owen Wilson was Owen Wilson. I'm not sold on him as an actor. He's just a strange guy, and seems to play himself or some variation of the same quirky character in every film I've seen him in. Christopher Walken was great, as usual, in his supporting role as Secretary of Treasury Cleary. And then there's Rachael McAdams. She absolutely commanded the screen every time she was in a scene in my opinion. She has an incredible presence, the camera just loves her, and I think she's a great actor. I'd love to see more of her.

All in all Wedding Crashers was a funny little diversion with occasional outbursts of comedic brilliance.

7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks