What's new

Carlito's Way Ultimate Edition 09/20/05 (1 Viewer)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
This is not a joke. Universal are releasing Carlito's Way yet again:

Taken from DVDTimes:

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Carlito's Way Ultimate Edition for 20th September 2005 priced at $22.98 SRP. Al Pacino and Sean Penn star in this crime thriller from director Brian De Palma.

Issued on a DVD10 features include:

* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround
* French DD5.1 Surround
* Spanish DD2.0 Mono
* English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
* Brian De Palma on Carlito's Way
* Deleted Scenes
* The Making of Carlito's Way
* Photo & Poster Gallery
* Original Promotional Featurette
* Original Theatrical Trailer

---
I'm sure they mean DVD-18.

I sure am glad Universal revisits that one again, because I'd much rather have another edition of this than an anamorphic version of Death becomes her. :angry:

Wanna bet that the additional stuff was already filmed when they made the last DVD version?

Chris

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, this double, triple, quadruple, etc. dipping
for greed by the studios has become more than
ridiculous. Now it's up to us to put our foot down
on this nonsense and stop handing our money over. :thumbsdown:

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
You took the words right out of my mouth, Jeff. Of course there will be those who'll say: "the studios aren't putting a gun to your head and forcing you to keep buying these new re-releases" --- but we all know that when it comes to a movie we really like and wish to own, we want the best and most extra-packed. And the best with the most extras should be offered the first time, not the third.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Unbelievable considering they just released the "COLLECTORS" edition just last fall. Could they be any more blatant about trying to milk us?

Here's an idea Universal. How about spending that time and energy fixing those non-OAR screwups from last year - Charley Varrick, Colossus, etc.

Or how about spending the time and energy on an SE of Double Indemnity.

Or how about continuing on the the "Noir" line.

and the unreleased classic sci-fi/horror titles, etc, etc.

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
If they had any kind of conscience at all, studios that triple-dip would include a rebate offer for buyers of previous editions. Upgrading from a bare-bones release I can understand, but this is ridiculous (and if you ask me, borderline criminal, in an ethical sense).

And no, they won't be getting my money for this movie a THIRD time.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Absolutely pathetic. They aren't getting my cash again for this one! It's bad enough the UK version of the 9/2/03 re-release has a dts track and the R1 does not, and now comes another R1 edition!

Give it a rest Universal. Keep going like this and people are gonna stay away from HD-DVD because they'll be fearful that a new edition may be mere months away! It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Universal's first batch of HD-DVD releases are bare-bones...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Well, it might not be a joke, but I'm laughing anyway.

Seriously, thank you Universal and the rest of the studios out there that have made it so hard to 'keep up with the Joneses' in terms of the best DVD edition of insert movie here that I no longer care whether mine is the 'latest and greatest'.

It feels good to be cured of upgrade-itis.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I already have the Collector's Edition. I love this movie, but there's no way in hell I'm buying it a third time for existing DVD's.

The next time I buy this movie will be when HD-DVD or Blu-Ray settles out and I'm board with that.

This double, triple, and even more that- dipping is really getting ridiculous.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Frank@N

Screenwriter

That's what the folks who recently bought '12 Monkeys' and 'Jaws' are asking.

Seriously, U is on a roll with weak reissues.

But then, this is the company that released 'Conan' three times on DVD and it's still in mono.

I figure they'll add a stereo score mix in 2-3 reissues.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
JAWS was worth upgrading for the FULL documentary. I wish Universal would upgrade SCENT OF A WOMAN if they are going to re-release an Al Pacino film. I'll probably buy CARLITO'S WAY since I have never purchased it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm yet to get Carlito's way, but I think I'll skip this. I have no problem skipping greedy cash grabs.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

I couldn't agree more. I've been holding off on this one forever waiting for the eventual re-release. How's the current release? I can't find any reviews on it.

Dan_V

Agent
I love this movie and I bought the CE when it came out. There isn't a chance in hell I would "upgrade" for the extras that are listed. If they expect people to double or triple dip they need to do better than that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that they do expect that. I think that by re-releasing it, they get space in ads, more copies in stores and sell copies to people who don't already have the movie as opposed to selling it to the people who already have it. Not that Universal wouldn't be happy if you bought and rebought (and rebought again) the same movie:)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
How about the teaser trailer to the film that's been left off the other 2 releases with all the Pacino titles, the pulling down of the sunglasses....brilliant teaser, obvious omission

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Why so sure? On paper, those extras don't sound nearly lengthy enough to warrant a double-layered side of its own (the 'Making of' is only 35 minutes). A DVD-18 would be possible, but sounds like a waste of space. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a DVD-14, though, given the length of the feature itself.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks