Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any Hope For These Recently Canceled Shows?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 08:24 AM

I've always thought that when a show is canceled (especially if it was one of the good ones) it should get a DVD, it just seems fair and a nice send-off for the fans. Below is a list of new shows from this past season 04-05 that were canceled that haven't had a DVD or any news on one. Sorry if I forget a few and please add others if you would like.

Eyes
Hawaii
LAX
Committed
Jonny Zero
Blind Justice
Jack & Bobby
Kevin Hill
Dr. Vegas
Clubhouse
Medical Investigations
The Mountain
Listen Up
Quintuplets
North Shore
Method & Red
Law & Order: Trial By Jury
Complete Savages
Life On A Stick

#2 of 40 ElijahS

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

• 751 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 08:31 AM

- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#3 of 40 Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 08:41 AM

ooh
I'd love to have North Shore, Eyes, and LAX on dvd.

#4 of 40 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 09:17 AM

Blind Justice was a great show damn ABC for cancelling it esp. since the east coast never even got to see the last episode becuase of the NBA playoffs Posted Image

I liked Clubhouse too.

#5 of 40 Rhoq

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 11:23 AM

I've only heard of 4, maybe 5 shows on that list. :b

#6 of 40 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,429 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 14 2005 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
I've only heard of 4, maybe 5 shows on that list.

And they were all on less than a year ago. Posted Image

#7 of 40 Johnny S

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 11:38 AM

Hawaii was a pretty good show that I would give consideration for buying.

Add Complete Savages and Life on a Stick to that list!
Favourite Series: Friends, Angel, The Simpsons, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, The King Of Queens, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Will & Grace and Brothers & Sisters.

#8 of 40 EricCr

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 02:28 PM

Would love to have life on a stick, they had I think 5 episodes that did not make it on the air. They are releasing point pleasant so at least some short lived shows from last season are coming out.

#9 of 40 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 02:30 PM

I personallly want Eyes the most. It was such an awesome show but because WB seems a little reluctant to release shows with 1 season we might not see it very soon. I mean if they can't take a hint that people want Brisco County Jr will they ever? They have so many of these types of shows it would be a shame if they never released them. I'm crossing my fingers though.

I loved Hawaii as well. It was a very cool cop show and I hope Universal releases it sometime. I want to see the rest of the episodes.

I'd love to check out Dr. Vegas, Clubhouse, Kevin Hill & Jack & Bobby. I missed them and they seemed like good shows. Perfect for a DVD release Posted Image

#10 of 40 RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 03:51 PM

Eyes - Sounds familiar
Hawaii - Never got a chance to watch a whole episode, but I liked the few minutes I saw - Part of the Hawaii'n Invasion with the North Shore
Committed - Great show with whole lot of potential!
Jonny Zero - Ditto - Fun cast that just needed a shot - Dredded Friday Night timeslot
Blind Justice - Watched the first episode - tolerable. Literally one of the stupidest ideas for a show. They give a blind man a gun. Posted Image
Medical Investigations - Good premise, generic name - never saw
Quintuplets - Half as funny as Controls the Universe but 100 times better than the average stuff on television
North Shore - Great sets. heh.
Complete Savages - Dan "Homer Simpson" Castellenta was awesome as a teacher in a Holloween episode I saw. Great idea for a show, only saw one ep - though. Best thing on the current TGIF
Life On A Stick - It had a some funny idea, the boss needing to shave his back was a bit funny although kind of racist.

Of all the shows -

Committed, Jonny Zero, Quintuplets, Complete Savages and possibly North Shore and Hawaii are the only ones I would buy on DVD.

#11 of 40 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:02 PM

I'd buy Eyes, though there weren't many shown. Hopefully there are unaired ones that could go into a dvd.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#12 of 40 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:50 PM

Except for SF/Fantasy/cult series that can find a home from time to time on The Sci-Fi Channel, there isn't a hell of a lot the studios can do with a series that lasts less than about 80 episodes, much less a single season or less. DVD, by creating a market for TV series on home video that never existed (in the U.S.) before the format's introduction, may be changing that.

Pros:

A DVD release is a way for the studio to make some of its money back on what would otherwise probably be a dead loss. (Since most primetime network series cost more to produce per episode than the network pays in license fees, and therefore don't turn a profit until and unless they are sold into syndication.)

A DVD can turn a profit with sales in the thousands. A TV show on the broadcast networks needs millions of viewers (and a basic cable show needs hundreds of thousands of viewers) to stay on the air. Flops on broadcast often 6 or even 10 times as many viewers as hits on basic cable.

Cons:

Even with few or no extras, and despite the relatively low replication costs, DVDs cost money to produce. There are certain fixed costs per hour of content in digitizing, compressing, programming, creating menus, etc., before the first disc is pressed. So it is never something a studio is going to do just to be nice to the fans. There has to be a business case for releasing the show - epecially since the TV set will consume resources that could go into feature films or shows that are still on the air.

Only a fraction of the fan base for any show is going to shell out big bucks to own it on DVD. A fraction of a tiny TV audience is a risky proposition.

So it is a decision that will be made on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes a later effort by the same actor(s) or creative team will make an old series seem like a better bet. I'm sure the success of Rescue Me is pretty much the sole reason that Denis Leary and Peter Tolan's earlier series, The Job, was released on DVD. Warner Bros. released the 13 completed episodes of the Babylon 5 sequel Crusade because the B5 DVDs themselves had sol unexpectedly well.

There are lots of cancelled shows I'd love to see. The good news is that DVD makes it possible that shows that once would never have been seen after their initial airings will have some kind of after-life. The bad news is that the studios probably won't have good enough reason to release all of them.

Regards,

Joe

#13 of 40 Drew Mertz

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 04:54 PM

I relly hope the 2003 FBI/Organized Crime show "Line of Fire" makes it to DVD. That was a great show.

#14 of 40 Alex Wagner

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:17 PM

I hope that since soapnet has picked up the episodes of Pasadena that it will prompt a DVD release.

#15 of 40 John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 05:35 PM

I'd like to see a complete series DVD set for Complete Savages

#16 of 40 Robert Cruz

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 08:26 PM

I'd definitely get Listen Up on DVD if that was to come out. Great show that just wasn't given much of a chance by CBS.

#17 of 40 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted July 15 2005 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
I relly hope the 2003 FBI/Organized Crime show "Line of Fire" makes it to DVD. That was a great show.
Line Of Fire was one of my favourite shows ever. It was really awesome and it sucked when it got canceled. But what sucked more is there was no DVD that came soon afterward. I'm still hoping though. Gord said last year when I asked him about it that he didn't think it would sell because it was so shortlived but he knew it was being shopped around. Hopefully that has changed, I'm also hoping that with Rod Lurie's other show Commander in Chief coming out soon with some of the same cast from LoF that the DVD might finally come.

Quote:
I hope that since soapnet has picked up the episodes of Pasadena that it will prompt a DVD release.

I never saw Pasadena but I found out that Mark Valley from Keen Eddie and Boston Legal was in it, so I would definitly want to check it out.

#18 of 40 TimTV

TimTV

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted July 15 2005 - 05:21 AM

I would get....
Eyes
LAX
Committed
Jack & Bobby
Complete Savages

and maybe dr. vegas

#19 of 40 Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S

Producer

• 4,372 posts

Posted July 15 2005 - 11:01 AM

Jack & Bobby would make a wonderful DVD set. Because cancellation was a big possibility, they were able to end the season with a sense of closure. I'm glad they got the chance, rather than get pulled abruptly like some shows. Haven't been this sad about a show's cancellation since EZ Streets. Posted Image

Eyes was a lot of fun and Dr. Vegas was very underrated. Just seeing Joey Pants, Rob Lowe and Tom Sizemore together was a treat.

#20 of 40 Katherine_K

Katherine_K

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted July 15 2005 - 11:06 AM

Of the list I think Law and Order: Trial By Jury would be the only one I'd buy. Blind Justice has to be one of the worst concepts I've seen in a very long time and I knew it wasn't long for life every time I sat through more than two minutes of it.

Forum Nav Content I Follow