What's new

Designing Women (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Or, at least, stop shelling out for "Georgia on My Mind" after the second season.

Normally I would be happy with this news, but remember who we're discussing here.

Alex Wagner

Stunt Coordinator
ha. yeah judging by your signature thing you really hate them.

its sad though cause they own alot of good shows

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Sony needs to fire whoever is in charge of their DVD department and bring in somebody who actually cares

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
After the Best of set, I thought we'd never see a S1 set of Designing Women. I'll see your Woot and raise you a Hallelujah! :cool:

I'm not too worried about SPHE screwing up Designing Women since they did a pretty good job with the Best of set. All episodes uncut is a good thing. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Actually Jay...

Sony just did a shuffle after they brought on MGM, and they went from a bunch of people being in charge of TV releases to a single manager, and a new position between the manager and the VP. The person handling the TV properties is VERY excited to just focus on the TV titles, and apparently they're looking at ALL the titles for possible release (even some that were previously written-off).

I think this is a really good thing, both for the company, and for the consumers. Of course it'll take awhile before we start seeing the results of the shuffle, but things are looking up.

Gord

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for those encouraging words, Gord. Hopefully this means I can soon change my signature.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
What I like is when they said that they 'inadvertantly' listed in the BEWITCHED set as coming. That would mean that someone seriously wasn't paying attention in the PR division when they divised the booklet to include in the box about their titles. WHATEVER...sure that it was done with the intend to start talk about the set.

Will gladly purchase this series up till the point when Delta and Jean left. After that...don't know about the Julie Duffy season. Judith Ivey and Jan Hooks though...yeah...I liked them

Too bad CHARLIE'S ANGELS Season Three was 'mistakenly' included in the booklet.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, the person who is now in charge of the TV releases didn't see the insert that went out in that set. It's probably a case of miscommunication, a bit like Fox had when a whole bunch of street dates were posted to the website for titles that hadn't been announced (and included incorrect dates).

Gord

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

that sounds good. Hopefully the new management will realize the goldmine they are sitting on, instead of just picking odd titles out (like That's My Mama and Ned And Stacey) while refusing to release titles that obviously would sell more copies (I mean, Mad About You season 3 or Who's The Boss season 2 would certainly turn a bigger profit over than Ned And Stacey I'd say). Not every show is going to be an out-of-the-ballpark smash, but I think Sony deserves to treat their shows better than they do. Granted, Seinfeld is the only "blockbuster", but that doesn't mean there aren't many people out there who love the other shows the same way.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Jay, I think it's hard to say that the next seasons of those shows would turn a greater profit than something else. We don't know what the back-end deals are with these shows; cast members could get home video residuals on one show, and members of another show don't get anything. There could be high music costs that come into play on one show, and not on others.

Just because something sells more copies doesn't mean it makes more money.

Gord

Katherine_K

Second Unit

Gord,

I've been rather curious, and this is slightly off topic, but do you have a sense of how much studeos do follow things like the HTF or your own site? Are there particular studeos that follow fan reaction closer than others.

Often on fandom boards (Stargate Fandom mostly recently) I find myself having to point out to forum posters that they aren't a representative sample of the viewing audience.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I think most of the studios keep track of online sites, especially when they're considering releasing a title.

Let me put it this way; there isn't a day that goes by that I don't speak to someone at a studio about a title; I'm asking them for info, or they're asking me for it. Warner, Fox and yes....Sony, are the best at keeping in contact with me. I've never had much luck with MGM (though that will change now that they're part of Sony...I hope).

However, all the positive stuff online can't outdo the solid proof of sales numbers (high or low).

Gord

Claude North

Second Unit
Good news about Designing Women, although I suspect the show could be a nightmare in terms of music clearances. The series contained a lot of pop songs and references to pop songs that were crucial to the plots. Hopefully, the episodes will be presented complete and uncut, but I am a bit nervous about it.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Did the Best Of release have all of the music included? That might or might not be a clue as to how Sony will approach this set.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

As far as I can tell, it did. The Best of set is light on music, though "When The Saints Go Marching In" is used in Killing All The Right People. I wonder if they had to pay Oprah for the DVD rights to use her show clip in Reservations For 8?

The majority of songs used in the show are old standards from the 30s and 40s: Gershwin's "How Long Has This Been Going On" (My fav of Dixie Carter's song choices), "I'll Be Seeing You", "As Time Goes By", "The White Cliffs of Dover", "Sweet Georgia Brown", etc. There are a few later 60s songs like Mickey & Sylvia's "Love is Strange" or Connie Francis' "Where the Boys Are," but the biggest problem will probably be the Supremes song used in The Rowdy Girls from S4.

They obviously have the rights to Doc Severinson's version of "Georgia On My Mind" since it was used in the Best of set. I wonder if Ray Charles' version used in S6 will cause them problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks