What's new

Tom & Jerry: Spotlight Collection, Vol. 2 - 10/25 (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Awesome, awesome news. Weird that Whoopi Goldberg is in the disc set of Looney as well, but ah well.

Really looking forward to this release!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess the shorts from the first set that were edited won't be here?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Warner better make sure they use the right masters this time. I have a lot of doubt that this will be a big pre-order item since everyone will end up having to wait until it's confirmed all is uncut.

By the way, there's a way you can convert the interlaced cartoons into progressive with almost no artifacts... but it involves a certain program that I probably cannot mention here. PM me for instructions, if you want.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I hope someone gets a review copy and can check that it is not edited. I have not bought the first one and will not buy the second one until I am sure it is not edited.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
This is one I immediately put into my preorder list, but I won't actually order it until I hear the first reviews. The trust is gone, Warner!

Chris

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I assume these will be cut to ribbons. The first set had all the safer ones on it, with very little of the rampant stereotyping and Mammy Two Shoes. We'll see, I guess, but I'm not buying sight unseen.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I wonder if the Whoopi Goldberg intros will be used to present disclaimers for any non-PC material, a la the Leonard Maltin intros on the Disney Treasures, thereby enabling the films to be uncut. I can't think what the point of these intros might be otherwise.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Okay, I got a look at the set, and it's the most frustrating thing. Mammy's original voice is intact in most of the cartoons. At least two cartoons are complete with blackface gags: "Mouse in Manhattan" and "Safety Second." Warners seems to have made a genuine effort to go with uncut cartoons this time around. But.....

There is one cartoon on disc 1, "The Lonesome Mouse," and two cartoons on disc 2, "Saturday Evening Puss" and "Nit-Witty Kitty," where Mammy's voice is in a different acoustic from the rest of the cartoon, and her dialogue appears to have been re-recorded by someone imitating the original (but with perhaps a less exaggerated accent). Apparently these are the versions that were used on British T&J DVDs where all of Mammy's appearances were re-dubbed in this manner.

Conclusion: WB included uncut, uncensored prints for most of the cartoons, but nobody noticed that these three cartoons were redubbed. I can't think of any other reason for this than a mistake (Mammy's dialogue in these three cartoons is not something they'd need to replace if they're not afraid of including all her other appearances intact -- they've even included the one where she makes a joke about "Old Uncle Tom"). I would commend WB for gaining some backbone, but gaining backbone is of no use unless they gain some quality control.

Whether you want to buy it for the mostly uncensored cartoons, and skip over those three (there might be another in there; Mammy was intact in all the others I checked, but I might have missed one), is your call.

But I'll tell you one thing: I'll bet WB will get more complaints about Mammy's re-dubbed voice in those three cartoons than they will ever get about her uncensored voice in the other cartoons.

(It reminds me a bit of the situation with the MGM/UA Tex Avery laserdisc set, which included most "controversial" cartoons intact but accidentally used an edited print of one Droopy cartoon. And I bring that up just as an excuse to say: for Pete's Sake, Warners, now that you're willing to include cartoons with blackface gags, give us a complete Tex Avery collection already!)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Screw that Jaime, there's no reason that there should be a SINGLE flub on this set!

WB has manages to make a mess of just about every single one of their classic animated cartoon releases in one way or another and it's simply not acceptable. If it's not an encoding or interlacing error on a number of shorts making them very difficult to watch and enjoy, it's edited prints or redubbed soundtracks, or missing dialogue or missing cartoons altogether!

Enough is enough.

If Warner Bros. expects us to pay good money for their products, they better start putting a little effort into releasing them. It;s not very difficult to put together a collection of uncut cartoons with their original soundtracks. People on Ebay do it everyday, and they manage to do so with triple the number of cartoons because WB has for some stupid reason, opted to release them in this inconvenient non-chronologic format, splitting up all the shorts. No thanks.

Until a proper collection of Tom & Jerry films are released COMPLETELY uncut (including dialogue on ALL tracks) and in chronologic fashion, I see no reason to drop a dime on these lackluster careless releases.

I'll use the same analogy once again... would we let it fly if Warner Bros. re-edited or took alternate dialogue and music cues from The Wizard Of Oz soundtrack or Gone With The Wind?

It's not acceptable no matter how you loook at it. I don't care that 37 or 38 out of 40 cartoons are intact... That's the very least that should be expected, hell, it shouldn;t even be something to consider!! Of course the filoms we buy should be the original films!! They;ve screwed up once again. They have absolutely no quality control administration in their film animation department and until they start releasing content that meets our expectations, I have absolutely no intent to support their lack of oversight and sloppy productions.

Another pass on a personal favorite.

:thumbsdown:

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

I definitely agree with that. I think people will be coming along to explain this mistake or assume that WB must have known what it was doing -- but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It's not the kind of thing that should happen on a major DVD release.

I just wanted to add: the original soundtracks for those three cartoons are not lost or anything. So that wouldn't explain the presence of the three redubbed cartoons.

As we now know, there will be no replacement set. If WB wants to clean up its act, they can put all the fouled-up cartoons in their complete form on volume 3.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can attest to that not being the case Ken.

Those soundtracks are NOT lost, I personally know people who have access to these original audio tracks.

It's an issue of poor quality control and nothing more. That's the case exactly and it's what I've been saying all along.

If Warner Bros. film animation department cannot put in the effort and care to ensure that their classic film releases are properly mastered and recorded with the correct prints used in original form, than I see no reason why we should bother to lay out money and support yet again their sloppy ventures.

It's just a blatant disrespect to fans like us. They wouldn't dare let similar audio soundtrack issues pop-up on their upcoming Wizard Of Oz release... so why is it okay to screw around with these film classics?

Because they're only cartoons?

That really seems to be the attitude that I'm perceiving.

If so, thank anyway. I'll make sure my money goes to those that give a damn about the properties they put out.

And I hope they do get many complaints, moreso than last year's fiasco... because that's the only way they'll ever get it through their heads that this sorty of thing is unacceptable!

We as paying customers demand quality! Errors on soundtracks, film prints, etc. is simply atrocious and no other studio or classic live-action title would endure such, nor would anyone be content with it! Until WB administers some quality control in this department, I will not even consider opening up my wallet to support a single one of their releases.

I simply don't find this "slip-up" acceptable and what's even more frustrating and disrespectful to me, is the fact that WB is sure to ignore it once the collection streets and pretend as though the error doesn't exist. So much for customer feedback...

Again I'll ask, is it really so difficult to compile a collection of less than 40 uncut cartoons when kids on Ebay do it every other week?

The answer is no.

But when you don't even care enough to screen the content before mastering and shipping it off to distributors...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

wow, not too much of a blanket statement.

what are the "messes o the other animated sets?
such as the looney tunes.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

I think he was talking about the overuse of Digital Video Noise Reduction on some cartoons, plus the fact that some cartoons on the last Looney Tunes set were transferred with interlacing artifacts.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Why do I not find this surprising? WB's answer to last year's problem was to not involve Jerry Beck in this year's set. What a joke! :frowning:

I bought last years set on good faith, because WB was going to fix the problem, and as we all know that was a blatant lie. Fool me once your fault, fool me twice my fault! I'm no fool!

I'll hold on to my Laserdiscs, and I won't be pre-ordering LT Vol. 3 until a complete review by a qualified expert is available.

I'm with Marco in not supporting these lackluster efforts, and just because you like them is not an excuse to let them get away with this. Show some backbone people. I spent over $500 to buy these on LD about five years ago, and I would gladly spend the same again for a complete uncut release of these cartoons. I think that qualifies me as wanting these REAL REAL BAD, but I'm not going to cave in to this crap.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks