• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 of 129 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 06:35 AM

We just posted some news for the third Golden Collection set, including all the shorts that will be included:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=3677

The box contains the following disclaimer: "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 3 Is Intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children."

Enjoy,
Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 129 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted July 13 2005 - 06:41 AM

I'm all over this one! In particular, I'm looking forward to seeing "Daffy and the Dinosaur" remastered. I've seen that on dozens of public domain VHS tapes over the years countless times. It'll be great to see how it looks all spiffed up! I have volume 1 but have yet to get the 2nd. I guess I'd better get my butt in gear. lol
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#3 of 129 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 06:49 AM

Um, is somethin' wrong with that link? Found it here!

Glad to see we'll finally get the final installment of the Bugs, Daffy, Elmer trilogy!

#4 of 129 RickER

RickER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted July 13 2005 - 06:57 AM

Gord must be Looney with excitment. He linked to the wrong show.

#5 of 129 ElijahS

ElijahS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 07:05 AM

I'm interested in the disclaimer. I wonder what caused that to be added in for this volume.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#6 of 129 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • LocationBlairsville, GA, USA

Posted July 13 2005 - 07:32 AM

There are some cartoons with scenes usually censored on TV, consisting of suicide and blackface gags. One of the cartoons actually features Eddie "Rochester" Anderson as a guest voice as his famous Jack Benny Show chracter.

Terrific assortment of cartoons... nice to see more B&W Porky, as well as finally a Beans cartoon (Hollywood Capers) and 2-strip Technicolor cartoon (I Haven't Got a Hat).

#7 of 129 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 08:39 AM

Grrr....sometimes my "copy" doesn't work and it had something I copied previously. Thanks for pointing it out.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 129 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 09:06 AM

Last October when they released the Tom & Jerry set, they also released Wacky Races. Has there been any word if any Hanna Barbera Classic Collection will be released on the same date?

Paul

#9 of 129 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 13 2005 - 09:15 AM

I like the cover! Good to see "Hillbilly Hair" as well.

Are the Bugs Bunny cartoons getting close to being done? 3 complete discs with a scattering on the others is alot of Bugs.

I'd love to see a "Warners At War!" disc on a future collection.

My guess is the "Hollywood Characatures" disc is the one to warrant a warning for. It would be nice if they had an optional subtitle track on these naming the stars/sources, as some can be obscure to some of us not fortunate to have being born 60+ years ago.
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#10 of 129 Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 09:25 AM

Another Speedy!!! Posted Image I want Slowpoke though. Posted Image
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#11 of 129 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 09:50 AM

Just as a guide to which cartoon is which, I've written up brief descriptions of each cartoon.

Excellent selection -- and unlike the second set, where the Road Runner and Tweety discs were hard to watch all the way through, there's not a disc here that couldn't be watched all the way through with pleasure (well, maybe the first half of disc 2 is a little heavy on '30s Hollywood caricatures).

It's been posted on another board that the "vault" cartoons will almost probably not be the "banned" cartoons -- I guess WB is not ready to take the plunge yet -- but their marketing of the set to adults, and the lack of a crappy bare-bones kids-only set on the same day, is a good sign.

#12 of 129 DaveK

DaveK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:01 AM

Jamie....
What was the off-color joke in An Itch In Time (1943)? I just know about the end scene

#13 of 129 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:12 AM

Quote:
What was the off-color joke in An Itch In Time (1943)? I just know about the end scene

The dog runs around the room, dragging his butt on the floor. In the middle of rubbing his butt against the floor, he turns to the audience and says: "Hey, I better cut this out -- I may get to like it." Then he goes back to running.

#14 of 129 george kaplan

george kaplan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 13,064 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:30 AM

The box contains the following disclaimer: "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 3 Is Intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children."
I got very excited when I saw that, thinking that maybe we'd get Coal Black. Unfortunate that it's not the case. Posted Image Still, I'll be all over this one. Glad to see at least one more Foghorn Leghorn and Ralph vs. Sam.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#15 of 129 PaulP

PaulP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:38 AM

We go through this every time, and I'm sorry to be a bastard, but this belongs in the main forum. Looney Tunes shorts ARE NOT in any way a TV show. It's just plain disrespectful to relegate these classic theatrical shorts to "TV episodes"...

#16 of 129 Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
We go through this every time, and I'm sorry to be a bastard, but this belongs in the main forum. Looney Tunes shorts ARE NOT in any way a TV show. It's just plain disrespectful to relegate these classic theatrical shorts to "TV episodes"...

My view on this is pretty simple: two years in a row now, Gord and Dave at TVShowsonDVD have scooped everybody else by posting the list of cartoons before anybody else does. As such, they can post the news wherever the heck they want. Thanks, guys.

#17 of 129 ElijahS

ElijahS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 11:00 AM

Besides, these shorts have aired on television for the many years, and most modern viewers have seen Looney Tunes almost exclusively on TV.
- Elijah

My TV DVD Collection

STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIPThe all-new drama from the creator of THE WEST WING and SPORTS NIGHTPremiering this fall on NBCThe last five minutes of St. Elsewhere is the only television show, ever. Everything else is a daydream.

#18 of 129 RoyM

RoyM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 11:14 AM

Nice summaries of the cartoons, Jaime...

I've been really thrilled to see the first three sets feature so many of the pre-1945 cartoons, which (IMHO) are much better than the later ones. I'm also quite surprised since I expected that most of the latter day cartoons (1950 through 1960's) would be put out first, since they often made up the bulk of the "Bugs Bunny and Friends" anthology show that the post baby boomers (including myself) and younger grew up with. I was certain that WB would cater to that audience first, rather than the real LT connoisseurs.

I really enjoy the old Hollywood star sendups, of which there were also a few on volume 2. I don't think I ever realized how many there were.

#19 of 129 PaulP

PaulP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Besides, these shorts have aired on television for the many years, and most modern viewers have seen Looney Tunes almost exclusively on TV.

I've seen most pre-1990s movies in my collection of TV only. Does that mean they're suitable for the TV forum?

#20 of 129 David Galindo

David Galindo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 12:29 PM

I think this should go in Film as well, but anyways...I really cant wait for this release. Dont like the cover art though...its just...weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow