Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Leaving drywall outside (covered)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   derek

derek

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have 100 sheets of drywall sitting in my driveway from Home Depot. No way can I move all of that in till at least a week or two. If I cover it with tarp is it ok to keep outside for a bit? It may be a dumb question but I'm unsure if the summer heat/humidity could damage it? TIA.

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 11:22 AM

Heat and humidity are not a problem. Water is however, so make sure you cover it well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 01:58 PM

Is it on a skid or is it sitting right on the ground? If its not on a skid i would move it inside.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   David Noll

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 06:52 AM

Although drywall is more stable than other building materials, after you bring it inside, let it adjust to your room for a couple of days before hanging it.

David

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 06:55 AM

I'd second Jimi in making sure it wasn't directly on the ground. I don't know this to be a problem, but I'd be nervous about it.

Especially if we get anything from Dennis or Erin before you get it under cover. (I'm near Baltimore, and we got 3.5" from Cindy.)

Leo

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   MarkLaf

MarkLaf

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 11:00 AM

As long as it is on blocks or dunnage as they call it. It can sit there for months covered I would use some 4 mil poly and then a blue tarp over that seeing as I deliver it ever day of my life and you will have no problems!!

Mark

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 13 2005 - 10:59 PM

plus, Home Depots all around my area have it in big stacks under their 'covered contractor loading areas' up on the disposable 'sheetrock pallets' (essentially, what, stacks of 5"x4'x.5" sheetrock scraps?)

Leo