Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buying a Wine Refrigerator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 06:17 AM

This is a gift for my mate. Is it possible to get an adequate wine fridge for $200.00?
Something from Sam's or Best Buy?
I live in Texas...we don't have basements....it was 103 the other day.

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 09:33 AM

http://www.bestbuy.c....=1091102024284

Are you absoloutly positive your mate wouldnt prefer the beer dispenser?

http://www.bestbuy.c....=1077624868180
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 10:43 AM

Jimi,
She'd like both I'm sure...it's just that having seen coolers that cost a LOT more, I don't want to purchase a piece of crap.
Have you used one of these?

Henry

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   ShelbyB

ShelbyB

Stunt Coordinator

• 153 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 01:33 PM

Do you have a Costco in your area? Check them out there.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 02:58 PM

Do you have a basement? Wine is supposed to be served at "room" temp, but that was decided before climate control, so assume around 65 - 70 degrees fahrenheit, or the temp of your average cellar.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 03:08 PM

Quote:
...we don't have basements..

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 09:16 AM

i dunno how much they cost, but from what i've seen, the "better" fridges have two separate climate zones.

something about white wine and red wine need to be kept at different temps.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   ScottHH

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 10:04 AM

You can spend tons of money on a wine cooler. But as you noted, it's really just a refrigerator that is set at about 55 degrees or so.

Anything is going to be way better than 103 on the wine. If you spend more, you can get a nicer outside finish, or a two zone cooling system. A better unit may keep the temperature within a more narrow range. I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with one like Jimi suggested.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Jon Bell

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 10:15 AM

Check out Lowes and Home Depot. You'd be surprised at their selection and prices-- much better prices than what I found online.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone!
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 02:44 AM

Quote:
it's really just a refrigerator that is set at about 55 degrees or so.
But the 'racks' are what make the difference.

Depending on how many bottles, you may want to look at a 'counter-type' version. I saw a bunch at Home Depot that looked neat.

For some reason, the Home Depot links wouldn't work, but if you go to Home Depot's site and navigate to Browse and Buy Products > Appliances > Wine Coolers there's a 6 and 16 bottle 'counter' version for $99.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   TedE

TedE

Stunt Coordinator

• 119 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 08:11 AM

You essentially get the same thing with these cheaper fridges. Mostly what higher end fridges will get you is more storage; there's nothing "cheap" above 30 bottles or so. As expected you'll also be paying for style, fit and finish, slide out cedar shelves, etc. I have a 30 bottle Haier from Best Buy and it's just fine for my purposes.

Quote:
i dunno how much they cost, but from what i've seen, the "better" fridges have two separate climate zones.

You can get acceptable results using a cheap-o model, too. I set mine for 55 and get ~59 on the top shelf and ~52 on the bottom. So, reds towards the top, whites (and beers for aging Posted Image ) at the bottom.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 10:24 AM

I own one made by U-Line. They are considered to be one of the "higher end" manufacturers. I can't really attest as to whether or not they are any better functionally than the ones made by Haier at Best Buy or Home Depot though.

The U-Line ones certainly look better though (they have a sturdier and sleeker feel imho), have three climate zones, and very nice sliding oak racks. The racks can be stained different colors if you want and the door can be mounted either with a left-side or right-side swivel depending upon your install space.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted July 12 2005 - 03:42 PM

I saw one of the U-Line models at Conn's this afternoon. Conn's was certainly the most entertaining retail experience I had today. A 60ish salesman approached and I asked him to educate me regarding the half dozen wine fridges on display. He spent most of the time explaining that one had the wrong price on it. When asked about the smallish $729.00 U-Line (an open invitation to SELL) he offered that he had no idea why it was so expensive.
The capper however was his certainty that the cooler air was in the upper portion of the fridge. I'm so stupid I actually tried to convince him this could not be true. But he explained that he had read it in the manual....so. Posted Image
Anyway, moving along to Sam's Club...we found a Danby Silhouette w/2 zones and wood shelves for $278.00.
It looks very elegant in the pantry with its little blue LED giving the temperature in each compartment.

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 10:48 AM

Cool! Oenophiles of the world unite!

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted July 14 2005 - 10:51 AM

I just started with the hobby. So far I know Dog House chardonnay tastes kinda like turpentine. Thats what I get for buying wine marked-down to $4.99 Posted Image

What should I try next: Merlot, Reisling, Pinot Noir?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   PatrickM

PatrickM

Screenwriter

• 1,140 posts

Posted July 15 2005 - 08:38 AM

It depends on what type of wines you like. If you want something with a bite the Australian Shiraz's are great. A very cheap one to try right of the bat would be the Yellow Tail.

If you want something smoother you can try the California Zinfandel's. For some reason most wineries beginning with "R" make good Zin's.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts

Posted July 16 2005 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
What should I try next: Merlot, Reisling, Pinot Noir?

"If they want to drink Merlot, we're drinking Merlot."
"No, if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any f*%king Merlot!"

Not really, I happen to like merlot. Personally I'm a big cab fan but there's plenty of great wines out there. South American wines are really getting quite good and are still a good value. The cab/malbec meritage from High Altitude is very nice and also quite affordable. Some other nice wineries (some affordable and others not quite so) include Sebastiani, Acacia, Rodney Strong, Heitz Cellars, Yalumba, Bodega Norton, Matanzas Creek, Kaiken...

Try everything! There is so much exploring to do.Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow