Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Any Death Becomes Her news?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,563 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 11:55 AM

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new about a new release of this. A special edition would be great (with all the deleted scenes, if possible), but I'd settle for just a nice anamorphic transfer. The old disc is at Wal-Mart for $8.44, and it is tempting, but it's MAR, of course. Posted Image

Anyone know anything? Something like DBH would have great potential for a cross-promotion with Universal's upcoming Hammer set. And while they're at it, so would Matinee and several others whose titles escape me right now.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted July 08 2005 - 12:25 PM

A SE is needed. The current edition is an Awful transfer. There are probably good supplements that could be added including the deleted scenes with Bruce Willis and Tracey Ullman. Ditto for MATINEE. I never bought the Image edition.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor

• 883 posts

Posted July 10 2005 - 01:38 AM

Thank goodness the Death Becomes Her laserdisc was widescreen. Everytime I want to see the film un-butchered I pop that in and get my fix. A Special Edition is waaay overdue. I just gotta see the whole Tracey Ullman subplot including the alternate ending!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 07:49 AM

Posted Image

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted January 15 2007 - 07:54 AM

I made my own NTSC anamorphic upconversion of the 1.85:1 non-anamorphic Australian PAL release and slowed the image and sound down to the proper 24 fps. I also put in a tiny color correction to make the fleshtones more natural and less reddish.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit

• 373 posts

Posted June 15 2007 - 12:49 PM

It really is WAY beyond time for a Special Edition of this super fun flick! C'mon Universal, it's a camp cult fav now (well it was deliberately camp to begin with but you know what I mean) and an oscar winner to boot! This film needs a full-on SE. Just think how many would sell if they included the (hopefully not lost forever) large amounts of cut footage too! It's a film that imho gets funnier with age (I really didn't like it first time back in '92 for some reason but it's really really grown on me over the years)! It's also immensely quotable too! So WHEN will this get the release it deserves?

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,920 posts

Posted June 16 2007 - 08:59 AM

Bring on all of the Tracey Ullman scenes! A Director's Cut is needed!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,795 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 16 2007 - 03:44 PM

Hard to believe the way Universal double-, triple-, quadruple-dips on so many titles (such as "The Mummy" and "American Pie"), that they seem to keep ignoring this great title that desperately needs an upgrade. Is there some legal reason holding this back?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Mathieu Lalonde

Mathieu Lalonde

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 10:24 AM

I'm making mine as we speak... also throwing in some grain reduction since the old transfer looks REALLY bad; I guess they took the old laserdisc transfers to make the dvds... You know the worst part? They're the type of company that probably uses slow sales of bad non-anamorphic/pan&scan dvds to justify NOT doing another release... And the same goes for "The Game" and "The Shadow" just to name a few. C'mon Universal, it's 2008! These were cheap quality dvds back in 1997!

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 11:38 AM

So maybe we should all start buying the substandard versions in an effort to encourage a proper release! Posted Image

Heck, if they would just release "Death Becomes Her" with a new, anamorphic transfer, I would buy it. If they made it a special edition, I would happily buy it and, if they made it a GOOD special edition, I would make it my wife. Posted Image

Sorry, went a bit too far there... Posted Image

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 11:45 AM

Don't feel bad...I had sex with my BLADE RUNNER last month: http://www.hometheat....-post2544.html Posted Image
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 589 posts

Posted January 19 2008 - 01:21 PM

Perhaps, instead of calling it the "Ultimate Collector's Edition," they should have called it the "Basic Pleasure-Model Edition?"Posted Image

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 20 2008 - 12:57 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Nice!!! Posted Image
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Mathieu Lalonde

Mathieu Lalonde

Agent

• 31 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 03:24 AM

Oh, i forgot... Here's another one: Universal's "Conan the Destroyer" - still non-anamorphic (even though MGM has it in Region 4!)

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted February 05 2008 - 12:11 PM

I'd like to have this on HD DVD.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Rich_McCracken

Rich_McCracken

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted February 13 2008 - 04:39 AM

Me too, Bradley. Last night, a friend linked me to the YouTube clip of Helen Sharp in the psych ward and I couldn't stop laughing. I noticed that the clip has thirty thousand views - not a bad number... there must be a market out there for this over-looked jem. And 50M in box office receipts should warrant a new release with better treatment. Got the letterboxed LD out this morning and hooked up my LD player, but the disc looked like crap when projected. I guess DVD anamorphic and hi-def has spoiled me. Anybody notice how many "in one" shots there are in this film? Zemekis' use of mirrors to extend those long in one shots and the irony of that: the film is about the power of vanity! I forgot how great the direction is. Can anyone tell me how the 1:33 Dvd looks? I read somewhere that the OAR is still there, just unmasked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users