What's new

Where do you get your DVDs from? (1 Viewer)

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Alrite everyone

I was wondering, where do you get your region 1 DVDs from?

Any ideas besides play.com?

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever tried Amazon.com? I live in the USA and have purchased the majority of my R2 DVDs from Amazon.co.uk.

JoeJ

Agent
I have used...

enterprisesdvd.com
playusa.com

If you're an EBay addict, you could get some R1 DVDs on there, but be careful not to buy bootlegs!

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Since 1997, I use Digital Eyes. They have very good prices and if you're a regular customer, there's an extra reward of a 4% discount based on "loyal customer points".

Also, I find them reliable.
They became slightly more "commercial" when the founder, Mark Harrill, sold the business to a larger chain, but since he's still reasonably involved, it generally works out great.
Never had any major problems - or problems that weren't solved.

Cees

Roger_R

Second Unit
I know PlayUSA sells Canadian releases, but do the other webstores mentioned in this thread that too? I'm getting tired of seeing the English-only US cover on the site and when I get the DVD in the mail it's bilingual with an ugly French translation of the title plastered all over the front.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I, like Cees, use Digital Eyes when shopping online retail.

On occasion, Video Universe for pre-orders.

I would shop DVDSoon more often since they're prices are the most competetive, but apart from the fact that they stopped accepting Paypal over a year ago, they also distribute Canadian copies and I often worry about bilingual cover art so I've generally stopped making purchases through them.

Digital Eyes promotions can't be beat.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I live in the UK and buy almost all of my dvds online from the US.

I always use Amazon.com for Warner boxed sets as they are the best at packaging them for shipping. Other stores I've used put them in a box slightly larger than the set with some rudimentary padding; Amazon blister-wrap the set to a piece of card which holds it tight, then pad it with inflated plastic cushions inside a larger box. Their prices are somewhat higher than other stores (although their standard international shipping rates are quite reasonable), but as a lot of damage can occur over the Atlantic, I think it's worth it.

For Criterions, I use the aforementioned CDWow: cheapest I've ever seen.

Most other individual releases I get from DVDPacific.com a US store with fixed low prices and good customer service. One irritation: they charge additional shipping per disc, so multi-disc editions can be a cheaper option at Amazon.

Other stores I've used:

DVDPlanet: used to be cheapest for Criterions, but not any more, so I've stopped using them.

DVDSoon: until recently, lots of bargains and free shipping, but that seems to be changing now. I only bought Warner titles from them as other studios' releases could have alternative French-language covers. Plus there are a lot of irritations attached to this site: reorders are a slow, drawn out process; they often take ages to ship a disc; they take your money up front, and when you cancel a release, they keep your money and credit it against a future purchase – all far from good.

Deepdiscountdvd.com: seemed good initially, but after a nightmare pair of orders that went missing simultaneously and which I didn't receive until months later, I'll never use them again. The titles were limited edition, so waiting ages for them to arrive as other stores steadily sold out was a nail-biting experience. Others in the UK have had similar problems, although US users seem to have had good service.

Like anyone, I'll happily try a new store if they're offering a better deal on something.

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
I get mine online from The Lasersedge in the US. They have
a very comprehensive release and pre-release titles on
offer.Service wise :emoji_thumbsup:

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
I've buy most of mine from DVD Pacific. I might just be lucky, but I've never had to pay import tax on anything I've bought from them.

I'd not heard of Digital Eyes before, so many thanks for the "heads up"!

DieterW

Agent
I buy most of my titles from AxelMusic (www.axelmusic.com). I never have any luck with ordering DVDs from the Americas, since everything is stopped and taxed. AxelMusic is located within the EU. Their service is OK and they offer many titles.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Dave, do you have to pay a shipping fee on DVD Pacific? Also, do they always come in good condition? The packaging amazon.com uses seems work really well unlike playusa.com who's packaging is pretty flimsy. Also, are they American DVDs or Canadian?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I use playusa.com for individual titles, but I've been stung with customs charges on box sets -- since Royal Mail has been able to charge a handling fee they have consistently tagged every media delivery over £18 sent to me. That ends up being about £8 including customs charge. I only import titles I cannot get domestically, so it really ticks me off.

Box sets I always get through amazon.co.uk marketplace purchases and I highly recommend them. Specifically Caiman USA and dvdlegacyuk are the ones I've used the most. Both fill out the customs forms to avoid charges (without having to ask) and both offer pricing such that it's about the same as buying it in the States and having it posted by another retailer. They also have great selection and don't seem to use Canadian releases (if you care about that sort of thing -- I don't). The only drawback is that R1 stuff doesn't seem to get listed in amazon.co.uk until after the street date, so no pre-orders, but I've gotten more patient about these sorts of things, so no big deal.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah Sean those customs charges are a pain in the arse, I've had to pay one for the first time just a couple of days ago (this thread must have jinxed me ;) ). I've ordered tons of boxsets from R1 in the past & never had to pay a charge before, I guess I've just been lucky.

I'm going to try out DVD Pacific with my next purchase. I'll definately look into those marketplace sellers, do the boxsets come in condition? Is there decent packaging to support them?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Dale,

I've had no issues with the marketplace sellers I indicated (caiman USA are also great for CDs). Sets are new/shrinkwrapped and in bubble-envelopes.

If your credit card company charges for currency conversion, then the fact that pricing is in £ is an added bonus for ordering from amazon.co.uk marketplace sellers.

I've noted that amazon.co.uk itself seems to offer R1 DVDs now as well, although they don't offer multiple copies...possibly they've re-located to the Channel Islands?

Christina-K

Agent
Usually I get mine from play.com blahdvd.com for the UK. I have used atlanticdvd.com.au and devoteddvd.com.au in Australia.

Christina-K

Agent
Thanks for the tip about marketplace at Amazon! I never thought about looking there before although I do search ebay from time to time for DVD's but I wouldn't know if one was a bootleg or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks