What's new

THE WIZARD OF OZ: 2 and 3-Disc on October 25th, 2005 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
'Wizard of Oz' DVDs set to blow into stores By Thomas K. Arnold
2 hours, 47 minutes ago

Fans of "The Wizard of Oz" should be over the rainbow when the classic 1939 film is reissued on DVD on Oct. 25.

"Oz" will be available both as two- and three-disc sets, the latter boasting a new documentary about "Oz" author L. Frank Baum, Warner Home Video said Wednesday. They will be priced at $26.99 and $39.92, respectively. The film was originally released on DVD in October 1999 as a single disc.

Both versions of the upcoming "Oz" DVDs will include a new digital transfer of the original movie using Warner's proprietary "Ultra-Resolution" technology. The soundtrack has been remastered as well. Special features include a new commentary from historian John Fricke; four documentaries, including one on the restoration process; outtakes and deleted scenes; home movies made on the "Oz" set by composer Harold Arlen; and an "Oz Jukebox" of recording session materials, radio shows and promo spots.

The three-disc edition also includes four hours devoted to Baum; five pre-1939 "Oz" movies, the earliest of which dates to 1910; and reproductions of the invitation and program for the film's premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

Reuters/VNU

--

Count me in for the 3-disc set! This is my favourite movie of all time, and I can't wait!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in for the 3-discer.

The John Fricke commentary on the LD set is one of the best commentary tracks of all-time (IMHO). I wonder why they're having him record a new one? I sure hope that he covers all of the same information as the original one, and throws in a few new items. My favorite story was how they picked the coat out for professor Marvel from wardrobe, and on the inside was written "L. Frank Baum". Apparently the coat had belonged to Baum previously, and was selected for the movie entirely on accident.:D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

:emoji_thumbsup:

This will make a lot of people from the previous thread very happy. That 1910 version is a real trip since the cute little dog is played by a cow in this version.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Wow, I can't wait. I already have the big deluxe box set that came out with the last release (at a steal for just about 25 bucks, and which I'll gladly keep, BTW) and this one will look great next to it. I'm especially looking forward to the classic Oz films.

Off to the imdb now...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I really would like to commend Warner Bros. This is what a re-issue is all about, and when a triple dip is well worth it. Just when you think they couldn't improve on the previous edition (with the exception of the missing Fricke commentary), they blow our socks off with this and we don't even have the full specs yet!

Andy

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
One of my faves too. In my top 10 easy. One of the rare old movies that has retained it's charm and effectiveness for me and my family. I've owned the vhs version, MGM THX Laserdisc, the original MGM dvd, and the current Warner SE dvd which is pretty good.

So I'm ALL over this. The 3 disc set for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
i am Oz!!!...we did the show of this a couple of years ago...but the movie is better....my favorite of all time..Very much looking forward to this release.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is a press release, remember, and "new" may be marketing-speak for "new to DVD". Either way, I will be happy with this new edition.

Regards,

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
October - amazing!!!!

I expect we should probably see early cover shots in the next couple of weeks/ This sounds incredible, I can't wait to grab that 3-disc set!!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Good point, but if that's true it's a poor choice of words to include "NEW" in front of "John Fricke commentary":D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I don't think I'm going too much out on the limb about this, but for most people that will buy this dvd set it is probably new to them.;)

Crawdaddy

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Wowsers!! Warners has done it again! I'm liking their approach on this and Ben Hur with including previous versions of the movies!
Plus it sounds like they are keeping all the previous content from the single release, so we can pretty safely pawn those away, right?

Eric Larsen

Agent
That's great news!

Now that Criterion is making their commentaries available, it would be great if the Ron Haver commentary were included as well. I haven't heard either of the Oz commentaries or any LD only ones for that matter but would love to have that included as well. From what I can find on the IMDB, Haver also did ones for Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, King Kong (which is listed as the first one on LD). Citizen Kane's LD had a commentary, but it isn't listed who did it. Would love it if Warner included these in the future.

Can't wait to check out all these extras and glad that there is a third disc!

Kate*H

Agent
Is it nerdy that Oct 25th is my 21st birthday, and I'm more excited that my favorite movie of all time is coming out that day rather than the fact that I can legally drink alcohol?!
It's the three disc set for me!:D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Andrew, thanks for the heads up!!

A huge thank you to Warners for including the pre-1939 versions. Although (in my opinion) they're more museum pieces than entertaining, it is still a fascinating look into movie making in days gone by.

The 1910 version looks incredible for its age. Too bad part of the reel is missing. I rented the 1925 version once primarily to see Oliver Hardy and it was a challenge not to compare it to the 1939 version. I haven't seen the 1914,1921,1932, or 1938 versions to comment on them and the press release doesn't say which of these are included.

The reproduction program also scores a big thumbs up from me as well.

Steve

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Wow, this is insane! The 3-disc for me, obviously. Why do they even bother with the 2-discer. Cannot wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks