What's new

Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Weird Science Triple Dip? (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Actually SIXTEEN CANDLES and WEIRD SCIENCE were released originally through IMAGE. Universal re-issued about a year and a half ago and negotiated back music rights that were previously missing from Laserdisc and the Image DVD releases. It sounds like these are re-packaging of the latest Universal re-issues.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
This does look like another in the long line of
double-dips for greed by the studios. The line-
"extra features to be determined" could mean that
there will be a bonus disc of supplements included
with the 3 movies packaged together. Or maybe the
line "new anamorphic transfer" means that these are
new versions of each film with seperate supplements.
No matter the outcome, I'll just keep my "old" DVDs
and stay away from this double-dip.:thumbsdown:

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I was gonna get Weird Science now I'll wait and see what this release is like.

Haden

Supporting Actor
I still dream of someday seeing the 3-hour Breakfast Club cut that Hughes supposedly has hidden away from us fans, but I know it'll probably never happen. It would be nice to at least get the extra scenes that have appeared in TV airings before (as mentioned on IMDB).

On a related note, where's that Ferris Bueller:SE that's been rumored for the last 2 years now?

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I have both the DTS and older version (For original mono tracks and coverart)

But still no bonus features to speak of. How bout a 4th disc that encompasses all 3 movies?

John*P

Second Unit
Hughes has said semi-recently that he still loves talking about the teen movies he did in the 80s, so if Universal asked him to do audio commentaries on these films, I'm sure he would. When and if this will happen, I have no idea...

I have the two available versions of Breakfast Club on DVD, along with the "High School Reunion" editions of Sixteen Candles and Weird Science. I will only double-dip if there are commentaries and/or deleted scenes on the new discs.

Antony James: Which missing dialog are you talking about? Deleted scenes that are shown on television airings, or something else?

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
In my opinion, the "Breakfast Club" 5.1 (music specifically) was horrible. They just took the mono music stems for the songs and spread them across the front 3 channels. :rolleyes:lame...

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe these three classic teen movies haven't got the Special Edition treatment. It's pretty shocking. I would without a doubt buy these again.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
I'm surprised that no other website has reported this.

The 'Brat Back Collection" is a bad name IMHO - they should either call it "The Anthony Michael Hall Collection" or "The John Hughes Collection".

A Breakfast Club release with the theatrical cut, the longer cut, a director and cast video commentary, a two hour documentary and the original trailers would be my personal holy grail of DVDs.

But the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I was annoyed when the fist Breakfast Club disc came out with no extras. Unlike most releases, this movie begs to have insight included. Not only is it a defining movie of the 80s (even more so than any other brat pack/hughes film) but had some interesting footage and stories - at least from what I remember from an excellent Premier article a few years back.

When the second release came out, I couldn't believe, it had nothing additional, just a different package.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
John*P...

When Gary and Wyatt are designing Lisa, the subtitles list the dialog, "Nice. Hey, easy there...I know female stats, and anything more than a handful and you risk a sprained tongue." (or words to that effect.)

Hall mouths the word, "Nice." but no sound issues forth. Then the shot is from behind him, and no words are heard until, "...Anything more than a handful and you risk a sprained tongue."

It is the same on the 5.1 and DTS tracks.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Re: Extras

I wouldn't mind having the E! True Hollywood story for Sixteen Candles on there, it's pretty dang good!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't know guys, they're great movies that defined a generation but 80's comedies really don't scream for extensive special edition treatment. I wouldve also liked to see a featurette or documentary or two on the making-of or probably more significantly, a cast commentary. But really with these type of popcorn flicks, I don't let it bother me. As long as we have a good quality transfer of the film to watch in a nice looking package to line-up on the shelf, than that's what's most important to me. I rarely delve too deep into the extra features on light movies like these. Not to take anything away from them because I grew up watching these movies and still enjoy them a ton but they just aren't prime candidates for extensive bonus features in my opinion..

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
Anchor bay would put them right. These deserve special treatment surely. Some of the films that have been given special editions and countless re-issues with just a bonus ticket for the next film is stupid. How about putting some time into making these movies into special editions?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

How do you know that's missing dialogue? Subtitles vary from the dialogue all the time -- they get written from the script, and don't always match changes that are ad-libbed or made on the set or in editing.

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
There was a big debate about it when the DVD came out until someone posted a soundfile from the VHS version where the dialogue was intact - but I'm not sure whether it was posted here or on another board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks