-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

DVD-A: Not impressed with selection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,254 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 07:22 AM

I never had an interest in SACD or DVD-A.

I have always had a DVD player to play DVD-A,
but I rarely listen to anything but satellite
radio in my home.

Things have sort of changed...

Just bought a new 2005 Acura RL that features
a CD Player that plays DVD-A.

So I browse on-line through CD UNIVERSE and
AMAZON only to find a rather mediocre selection
of DVD-A titles.

Was really in the mood for THE EAGLES. Wouldn't
it be cool if they had some great LIVE DVD-A stuff
available? The only thing I could find was their
studio album, Hotel California.

Not much GREATEST HITS stuff out there, which is
mainly what I would be attracted to.

Has the selections been and will continue to
be this lackluster?

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks in advance!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 73 AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 07:56 AM

most of the hits compilations aren't that good of sound quality, or vary widely throughout the disc.

selection is poor.

fleetwood mac, steely dan, beck, porcupine tree, blue man group have some good albums, with well done audio. i think the eagles disc is good too, but i dont have it. some dual discs have dvd-audio on one side, but id caution you to putting them in your player. they are thicker than normal dvds, allegedly this can cause problems.

dts 5.1 cd's may also play in that player, im not positive?

#3 of 73 PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 09:09 AM

I picked up a combo DVD-Audio/SACD player a few months back and am enjoying revisiting some old classics in surround format.

Check out the list at Acoustic Sounds for maybe a better listing.

As for myself, I've recently picked up the Who's Tommy, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Alanis Morisette's Under Rug Swept, Metallica's Black Album, Eagles Hotel California, REM Best of, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, Foreigner 4, Deep Purple Machine Head, Al Green's Greatest Hits, and a few more I can't remember (or am too embarrassed to mention...*cough* Britney Spears *cough*).

#4 of 73 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,757 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted July 06 2005 - 09:28 AM

This site list includeds DualDiscs (which may or may not contain DVD-A and may not be good in a slot loading auto player) - http://www.geocities....l/dadsacd.html

#5 of 73 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted July 06 2005 - 09:37 AM

Congrats on the new ride, Ron.

Amazon is notoriously poor and disorganized with regards to their hi rez listings.

Try Music Direct (www.amusicdirect.com). (Use the "Product Category..." pull down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the home page to select either format.)

DVD Planet also breaks out DVD-A titles in a separate listing.

SA-CD.net is a strong SA-CD site.

Also, Universal Music Group is probably the biggest major label supporting the formats (at least before their recent foray into DualDisc support). Their "New Formats" Website is worth a browse.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Telarc classical label. Their SA-CD selection is absolutely worth your time and attention.

Finally, although not hi rez, I'm sure you're already aware of The Eagles' recent Live From Melbourne DVD.

-p

#6 of 73 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,254 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 10:02 AM

Thanks everyone for the links. I have
plenty to browse through.

Paul, I have that Eagles DVD. Wish there was
a DVD-A of it.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 73 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 10:26 AM

Do let us know if you discover some hi rez goodness you like, Ron--either here or in the still-going-strong-after-a-year "What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently?" thread (which may very well also be worth a scan to find out what other hi rezzers have been diggin'). I'm hoping you find the selection a little better than you may have thought. Posted Image

-p

#8 of 73 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 10:54 AM

I have the Marvin Gaye collection, it's a very nice tracklisting and a solid stereo mix, however the surround is pretty weak. I've heard the live Zeppelin is supposed to be great, could be what you're looking for. There's also a few HDAD (basically the same thing as DVD-A, correct me if I am wrong) discs that are supposed to be very nice, if I remember there's Coltrane's Blue Train, one from Cannonball Adderly, Pete Townshend, and a few from Alan Parsons Project. Don't dismiss the format yet, I personally am still working on plans for improving my HT system so I can take better advantage of DVD-A and also start incorporating SACD. Enjoy.

Edit: I should also add that the reason I got into DVD-A in the first place was because of my car. I drive a Subaru WRX and when I bought it I went ahead and replaced the stereo with a Panasonic head unit that supports DVD-A (along with new speakers all around, amps, etc.). The draw for me was that it did DVD and CD, because I was putting in a fold out screen, after realizing it also did DVD-A, I checked into the format and I picked up a few discs, they sound great in the car, a good sound system can really take advantage of the compactness of a car.

#9 of 73 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 10:56 AM

Gee Ron, I always thought Hotel California was a greatest hits albumPosted Image

Seriously, that was one of my first DVD-A's and the sonics are tops. Hearing the dueling guitar solos on the title track, but given some room to breath, is great fun.

If I were you, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

And if the music is to your tastes, I would grab ELP, Chicago, and both Big Phatt Band discs.....you may never leave the car again!

Brian

#10 of 73 KevinJ

KevinJ

Supporting Actor

• 558 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 11:37 AM

Also try to find the Grateful Dead Workingmans Dead and American Beauty dvd-a's as well as the Alice cooper dvd-a's[welcome to my nightmare and billion dollar babies]....you won't be disappointed.

#11 of 73 Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 01:44 PM

Mine as well through my list of favorites out there. INPO.
1.) Grover Washington, Jr. - Winelight
My first ever DVD-A and I was instantly hooked.
2.) Crowded House - Crowded House
I've always liked the songs on this album, but the hi-res mix on this recording had me enjoying these songs more than ever before. Truly one of the most under-rated, unmentioned DVD-A's out there.
3.)Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
One of the best Hi-Res mixes ever.
4.)Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
A must have. If you've never appreciated his backing vocals before, you will now.

As far as some slightly off the beaten path choices, I really like:
1.) Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Includes 3 bonus tracks Posted Image
2.) Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club
I'll be honest, I had never heard of these guys before and picked this one up on a whim. There is some great Cuban music on this one with some Ry Cooder on guitars as well. Great for a lazy Sunday with Mojito in hand.
3.) Steve Stevens - Flamenco A Go Go
You would never believe that the Ex-Billy Idol guitarist had such talent.

The selection of available titles is however, limited. Especially if you end really enjoying the format and get thirsty for more. I say enjoy what little is out there and pick up a title or two.

#12 of 73 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,995 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:43 PM

Ron: I couldn't agree with you more about how poor DVD-A selection is. Everytime I go to my local stores I take the time to check out their respective high-rez sections only to walk away empty handed.

If you like Diana Krall...her DVD-A selections are fantastic! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 73 Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,802 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:52 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more about how poor DVD-A selection is. Everytime I go to my local stores I take the time to check out their respective high-rez sections only to walk away empty handed.
Although I understand there is visceral appeal to being able to browse aisles and feel the goods, the time that brick & mortar was the best place to shop for hi rez (if there ever was one) has largely long since passed. It's really not quite fair to pass judgment on title availability based upon what you do and do not see at local stores, unless you're lucky enough to be browsing a hi rez savvy boutique. Online is where it's at.

-p

#14 of 73 FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 05:31 PM

Ought to be interesting to try out Flaming Lips' Yoshimi, especially since there's a track warning against listening in a car while driving (oh, I'm such a rebel)
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#15 of 73 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,254 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 07:55 PM

Dave,

You are right -- Hotel California is probably
the closest I could get to a Greatest Hits selection.

Also like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Ronald J Epstein

#16 of 73 Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 12:09 AM

If you have a Virgin Megastore near you, check them out, pricing is pretty reasonable and I know the one by me probably has somewhere between 60-80 titles. Evem if you don't pick out something, might get some ideas.

#17 of 73 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 02:05 AM

My favorite DVD-As:

OutKast: STANKONIA
Flaming Lips: YOSHIMI
Grateful Dead: AMERICAN BEAUTY, WORKINGMAN'S DEAD
Bjork: VESPERTINE (also available on SACD)
Beck: SEA CHANGE (I have the SACD, but I understand the DVD-A sounds as good/nearly as good)
Donald Fagen: THE NIGHTFLY
Neil Young: GREATEST, HARVEST (<-not a fan of the the multichannel on this latter title, but the stereo mix sounds warm and analog)
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#18 of 73 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 05:26 AM

Ron, your thread title pretty much says it all...

The recent REM DVD-A/CD releases are pretty damn good, but keep in mind it's only their Warner catalog, and not the earlier stuff. EMI does have a DVD-A of Document out, which is fantastic...

If you're into mellower stuff like the Eagles, definitely check out the Beck Sea Change disc and Ryan Adams' Gold, which is also out on DVD-A now...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#19 of 73 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 05:42 AM

Quote:
If you're into mellower stuff like the Eagles, definitely check out the Beck Sea Change disc and Ryan Adams' Gold, which is also out on DVD-A now...
And also the two Grateful Dead titles, which are some of the earliest examples of the country rock/americana thing and hence quite a bit like the Eagles (but without the icky "adult contemporary" undertaste).
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#20 of 73 RobBenton

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator

• 159 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 12:09 PM

I personally thought the surround mix on the Marvin Gay DVD-A collection to be a very good one and the sound quality is very good as well.

Forum Nav Content I Follow