-

Photo
- - - - -

London got the Olympics in 2012!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 01:36 AM

Sorry that New York didn't get it (we honestly wouldn't have minded losing to you guys).

As for the reaction of the French (booing every mention of London in the run-up to the result and then booing when they lost) all I can say is: Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 of 33 Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter

• 1,210 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 01:53 AM

Is this the first for the UK? Which part of London will it be held?
"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." Muhammed Ali, (Cassius Clay)

#3 of 33 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 01:55 AM

Not the first for them. London hosted in 1908 and in 1948.

Here's a complete list, on a world map, of all the summer games host cities over the years.

#4 of 33 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:00 AM

Quote:
Sorry that New York didn't get it
Don't be sorry. Notwithstanding the efforts of the Mayor (who has a Bermuda home to which he can escape) and Mrs. Clinton (who doesn't live in the city), I suspect the majority of New Yorkers are thrilled not to be hosting the Olympics. I know I am. (Where's the smiley for wiping your brow with relief?)

I'm sure the Olympics would have brought in a lot of money, but it would have been a nightmare for those of us who actually live and work here. (We got a taste of that with last summer's political convention.)

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 33 Abby_B

Abby_B

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:09 AM

I'm happy for London...I think the city will do a great job. Very interesting that all the contenders were such large cities! I think it was a no-lose decision...

#6 of 33 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:10 AM

Michael, I got that same sense from watching ESPN recently. On their Mike and Mike in the Morning show today, they were talking about how most New Yorkers' feelings about hosting in 2012 probably ranged somewhere between apathy and outright opposition.

#7 of 33 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:30 AM

Bah. Would have been nice to have the Olympics 2 hours away. But then again, who the hell knows where I will be residing in 7 years.

Paris would have been nice, I got friends and relatives there. I got relatives in London too but haven't spoken to them in years, I got 7 years to rekindle the love Posted Image.

--
H

#8 of 33 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:36 AM

After NY...London was my 2nd choice. So Andrew for the appreciation.

Anyone have any theories why Paris lost it again? My theory is that the Olympic committee thought the French Unions might cause a problem. I know they are very quick to strike. And with the tight budgets and schedules the Olympics poses. They might have been afraid of a work stoppage or slowdown. Although, I could be wrong. I know the Unions in NY signed a pledge that they would not strike at any Union construction project.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#9 of 33 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 02:43 AM

Congrats to London for landing the 2012 Summer Games.

Now only 4 more years until they announce the 2016 Games (2 more until the 2014 Winter Games). I wouldn't be surprised if either of those Games went to a city in Africa, South America, or the Middle East. None of those regions has hosted a Games yet (Winter or Summer!).

#10 of 33 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:04 AM

It seems that most of the NY'ers I've talked too are glad that it isn't hosting the olympics.. I don't know where Bloomberg gets all his numbers from. Look what happened to traffic from the Rep. National Convention...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#11 of 33 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,536 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:15 AM

Sorry that New York didn't get it (we honestly wouldn't have minded losing to you guys).

I just visited home about 2 weeks ago and just about every person I talked to about the Olympics weren't thrill with hosting them. They feel it is too much of a headache for little return to the city. Good luck and may the Olympic games stay in other countries.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 33 John Spencer

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:42 AM

Here's to Winter Olympics 2014 in Riyadh!
Never heard of this. I'm a honky.

#13 of 33 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 03:55 AM

Quote:
Anyone have any theories why Paris lost it again?

Well, this isn't the first time the UK has put in a bid - we've had more than our share of disappointment in the past.

Various theories are circulating:

(1) French-backed opposition to the Spanish bid meant that the Spanish (who might have normally transferred their vote to their neighbour) backed the UK bid.

(2) Tony Blair went on an incredibly intensive charm offensive, having meetings with individual members of the committee. The French effort on the personal front was seen as too little too late. Plus, the Brits sent over every famous Olympian they could think of in their delegation (it's worth remembering that per capita the UK has more or less the same number of Olympic medalists as the USA).

(3) The UK in recent years has put a lot of money into sport (I'm no fan of the current government, but credit where it's due) and their commitment is seen as serious.

(4) The proposals will *genuinely* revitalise a very run-down part of London.

(5) God was on our side and it was a reward for thinking up Live8. Alternatively, God was showing what He thinks of the French for making nasty remarks about us.

Naturally I think it's (5) but I suspect reasons 1-4 are more likely. Incidentally, the French are already accusing the Brits of underhand practices. But that's cheese-loving surrender monkeys for you. Posted Image

#14 of 33 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 04:20 AM

I guess Chirac's comments about British and Finnish food didn't help. 2 Fins are on the selection committee.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#15 of 33 Chris Derby

Chris Derby

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 04:27 AM

sweet! we can all stay at andrew's house!
-derby

#16 of 33 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
sweet! we can all stay at andrew's house!

Nice try. Posted Image It's two and half hours from my house to London by train (longer by car and far hairier; you only drive in the centre of London if you have a death wish) - and that's just to the centre, and then you'd have to travel out to wherever the games are (they are likely to be scattered all over the place).

FWIW, I've spoken to a couple of London-based friends this afternoon who'd already received calls from relatives wondering if they could come to visit some time during the summer in 2012.

I think I might go to see the horse dressage events (seriously!) and the three day eventing which are likely to be held near to my in-laws. Not sure I fancy the congestion of London - not my favourite city at the best of times.

#17 of 33 John Spencer

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 05:31 AM

Apparently, the British bid had the best scholarship plan for the committee's children. Posted Image
Never heard of this. I'm a honky.

#18 of 33 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted July 06 2005 - 05:36 AM

Andrew,

According to M. Chirac, you Brits have such awful food that the Olympic committee felt that the atheletes would be less likely to eat too much if the event were held in the UK.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#19 of 33 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 05:58 AM

If I lived in a place where such a big event occured, I would move out to a friend's, rent out the place for the month for an outrageous sum, tell my friend I rented it for half as much, and split the cash.

--
H

#20 of 33 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,453 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 06 2005 - 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think I might go to see the horse dressage events

I didn't know that dressing up as a horse was now an Olympic event! Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow