Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Voltron TV series - Will it ever be released in R1?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
160 replies to this topic

#1 of 161 Carlo S

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted July 05 2005 - 11:49 PM

Does anyone here have any latest news on this?

#2 of 161 Joe:C

Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 06 2005 - 10:40 AM

No news unfortunately. Posted Image

#3 of 161 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted July 06 2005 - 07:34 PM

I wish this was on it's way, I was obsessed with this show back in the 80's! I had the massive die cast lions that formed Voltron and used to be able to do a really cool 'Pidge' impression. :b

"Form feet and legs!

Form arms and torso!

And i'll form...the head!"
-Kieth

He was the coolest looking robot around! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#4 of 161 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 11:21 PM

Update (or lack thereof) Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#5 of 161 Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 01:20 AM

Looks like there may be an update coming. Voltron.com is counting down to "V-Day" on 3/30/06.

#6 of 161 Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 05:45 AM

The big news is here!! The first set will be released in September by Media Blasters.

Voltron: Defender of the Universe has been planned for 8 DVD releases, each one containing three discs, approximately 15 episodes, and as many extras as we can squeeze in. We're preparing premium special edition packaging, an aggressive video restoration process, and remixed 5.1 audio. The goal is to make Voltron look better than it has ever looked before. We'll keep posting updates here about our restoration work, so check back often!
Voltron: Defender of the Universe DVD vol. 1 hits the street Fall 2006
UPCOMING RELEASES
In addition to Voltron: Defender of the Universe, we are planning to release Hundred Beast King GoLion and Armored Squadron Dairugger XV on DVD starting next year. These releases will be completely uncut and in their original Japanese with English Subtitles. Warning: While Voltron is suitable for all ages, GoLion and Dairugger contain violence and other scenes that may be too intense for younger viewers. Please use discretion. Release dates for GoLion and Dairugger are not yet available, but they will be posted here as soon as possible.

So not only will we see Voltron, but the original Japanese series as well. Here's the links to the Media Blasters page and the story posted at tvshowsondvd.com.

#7 of 161 MattSav

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 06:33 AM

Aggressive video restoration process...

Hopefully Media Blasters mean a real video restoration process and not using cleaned up (and sped up!) PAL masters. Yes, I'm looking at you, BCI Eclipse.

#8 of 161 Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 08:48 AM

I trust Media Blasters to do a fine job with this. They've had issues in the past with some releases, but lately, they've really turned around and put out many high quality releases.

#9 of 161 Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 03:48 AM

I just hope that they actually get around to airing the resolution of the "lion voltron" series on DVD. When I was a kid, I missed the last few episodes and was suddenly thrust into vehicle voltron.

#10 of 161 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 07:37 AM

My brother told me that someone who is working on the DVD posted in the discussion form on Anime News Network.

Whenever I click on the "discuss this in the forum" link, all I get is an error message.

One of the things my brother said was mentioned was that they were uncertain if they were going to be able to release the movie (which was produced for the American market) where the two Voltrons met each other (which I didn't even know existed).

#11 of 161 Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 08:26 AM

Wasn't the movie supposed to be the ending to the American version? From what I've gathered episode 52 was the true ending to the "Lion Force" series. The 20 episodes that came after that were made specifically for the American version. The "Fleet of Doom" special was supposed to tie up both series (vehicle and lion).

#12 of 161 seanOhara

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 11:40 AM

Quote:
From what I've gathered episode 52 was the true ending to the "Lion Force" series. The 20 episodes that came after that were made specifically for the American version.

So that's 72 episodes. But the press release says:

Quote:
Voltron: Defender of the Universe has been planned for 8 DVD releases, each one containing three discs, approximately 15 episodes, and as many extras as we can squeeze in.

That's 120 episodes or so. Unless "approximately 15" actually means "about 9" there's something off here. The only thing I can think of is they're going to include the CG Voltron series from the '90s.
My Blog
Les Miserables Volume 1 with my reading of "Four and Four"
Librivox Short Story Collection 34 with my reading of Jack London's "War"

#13 of 161 Joe:C

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 01:27 PM

I'm assuming they're also counting the vehicle Voltron series in that number. If you count the special the final number is 125.

"Lion" Voltron- 72 epsiodes
"Vehicle" Voltron- 52 epsiodes
"Fleet of Doom" Special

#14 of 161 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,910 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted May 07 2006 - 11:39 AM

It's going to include the complete Lion Force series (72 episodes), and the complete Vehicle Force series (52 episodes), with the 3-D series from 1998 on the fence, depending upon how well the two originals sell.

Also, the "Fleet of Doom" special is virtually a lock for inclusion in the eight "waves," but it hasn't been announced in which, yet. The first five DVD sets will be the Lion Force portion of the series, with the Vehicle Team comprising the back three sets.

One of the other things they're discussing at the moment is the inclusion of the commercial-break "bumpers" between the acts, similar to the Robotech DVDs (and which, in my opinion, are part of the whole "Voltron experience").

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#15 of 161 MattQuack

MattQuack

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted June 27 2006 - 11:21 PM

Here's the latest information from TVShowsondvd.com

http://tvshowsondvd....cfm?NewsID=5925

Packaging looks pretty sick.

#16 of 161 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,910 posts

Posted June 28 2006 - 06:17 AM

This bit:

Quote:
Original Pilot: "The Voltron Trilogy"
...has my jaw on the floor.

At last, it appears we'll finally be able to see that legendary Albegas pilot that World Events commissioned as a "third" Voltron series ("Voltron of the Middle Universe"), which test-aired in like Hawaii, and -- if rumors are correct -- San Francisco, but which ultimately got scrapped after Vehicle Voltron underperformed.

I was rather on the spot (but not 100%) with my predictions concerning how the discs would be laid out, in terms of episodes and supplements -- six eps on the first two DVDs, three on the third, along with bonus features. Didn't know if they were going to be using the Harmony Gold Robotech DVD model (two discs with six episodes apiece, plus a third disc of nothing but extras), or if they were going to spread things out a bit more.

Something else I just realized:

Wave 1 is called "The Blue Lion." It's been officially announced that they'll be releasing five Lion Force and three Vehicle Force sets. Thus, we'll probably be seeing "Air Team," "Land Team," and "Sea Team" sets for the 52 Vehicle Voltron episodes.

Hot damn. This baby has my money, come September 26.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#17 of 161 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,910 posts

Posted August 07 2006 - 07:04 AM

Major update on the Voltron DVDs:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6210

The second "wave" -- the "Yellow Lion" set, containing episodes 16-30 of the Lion Force series -- is due out on November 21, coincidentally the exact same day that the Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles movie hits. Also, in a move that has me cheering, Media Blasters have announced that each episode will feature the original "We now return to Voltron: Defender of the Universe" commercial act-break bumpers between acts, recreating the classic viewing experience of the 1980s.

The Fleet of Doom special? Still under discussion at the moment, vis-à-vis its placement within the DVD sets, or as a separate release. Also, no closed-captioning on the discs, for those wondering. The DVD episode release pattern is also given for the five Lion Force sets -- 15 episodes ("Blue Lion"), 15 episodes ("Yellow Lion"), 14 episodes ("Red Lion"), 14 episodes ("Green Lion"), and the final 14 episodes ("Black Lion").

One more thing:

Apparently Media Blasters are only going to be producing the DVD "collector's tins" for a limited time before reverting to the slightly more "traditional" digipak-type packaging...not only that, but when the Voltron DVDs eventually shift to this latter form, ALL of the special features will be removed from the discs, to maintain a high level of value for the true fan who bought his/her sets early, so they don't feel cheated if the exact same configuration comes out at a cheaper price at Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

Moral of the story:

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

#18 of 161 Demis G

Demis G

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted August 19 2006 - 02:38 AM

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are pleased to report that the price of the following item has decreased.

Franklin Cofod (Director), et al "Voltron, Vol. 1: Defender of the
Universe" [DVD]
OLD PRICENEW PRICE
$27.99$24.99

#19 of 161 Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,096 posts

Posted September 10 2006 - 06:45 PM

apparently the Big Blue retailer with the bright yellow tags will be selling this on Tuesday, a couple of weeks early!

#20 of 161 Patrick.C

Patrick.C

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted September 11 2006 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_S
apparently the Big Blue retailer with the bright yellow tags will be selling this on Tuesday, a couple of weeks early!

Yes - and Wal-Mart will as well.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow