Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Turntable questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   John Besse

John Besse

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts
  • LocationTrinity, FL

Posted July 05 2005 - 03:32 PM

I listen to a lot of Porcupine Tree and European prog-rock bands that release limited edition vinyls, and over the past two or three years I've been picking up a whole bunch of albums for no apparent reason. I don't have a turntable and was wondering if it is worth buying one, or selling off the albums... So, what I'm looking for is some advice on how to purchase a turntable as I know nothing about them.

After doing some research, I realize that the phono cartridge makes the most difference in sound quality. Is it smart to buy a cheap player like an Audio Technica AT-PL50 for like $75 and purchase something like the Goldring Elektra MM Phono Cartridge to mount onto a cheaper turntable? I was looking at the Music Hall MMF 2.1, but really don't want to spend about $300 on a player that I probably won't use too much.

Really what I'm looking to find out is... What is the difference between purchasing a cheaper player and adding a good cartridge Vs. spending more money on better name?
"Empire had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. That's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets."

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted July 05 2005 - 04:20 PM

While the cartridge is very important, it's not the only factor. You also have to consider things such as quality of the tonearm, ability to adjust settings such as VTA, isolation properties of the table, potential for vibration from the motor, etc. While a good cartridge will make any turntable better, they are other factors that are also very important when considering a turntable.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
After doing some research, I realize that the phono cartridge makes the most difference in sound quality.
I think a lot of vinyl enthusiasts would not agree with that generalization.
Quote:
Is it smart to buy a cheap player like an Audio Technica AT-PL50 for like $75 and purchase something like the Goldring Elektra MM Phono Cartridge to mount onto a cheaper turntable?
IMO, no.
Quote:
was looking at the Music Hall MMF 2.1, but really don't want to spend about $300 on a player that I probably won't use too much.
A new entry level Technics turntable should be perfectly adequate for your needs unless you consider yourself an "audiophile".
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor

• 689 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 05:20 AM

Just sell me the PT LP's and be done with the turntable madness! Posted Image

Short of doing that, I'll second the Technics. You are still going to spend $200 with a decent p-mount cartridge for either the bd20 or bd22 model table (or more).

You could buy used. I see some bd20's on ebay for $25 refurbished. Add the $25 shipping and a good p-mount Audio Technica and you should be good to go.
Charles

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 11:28 AM

My experience with turntables is limited, since I only bought two and still have one of them. Both were budget models, but I can tell you it made an audible improvement moving up from a $40 Shure cartridge to their then-top-of-the-line V15 Type V-MR. So don’t skimp on the cartridge, even if you do get a budget turn table.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow