What's new

Universal's Legacy Series (1 Viewer)

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
With the upcoming new Legacy Series of The Deer Hunter, The Sting and To Kill a Mockingbird, what do you think will be the next in Universal's New Legacy Series Line?

The ones I'm looking for are:

Double Indemnity
Touch of Evil
All Quiet on the Western Front

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Columbia owns THE LAST PICTURE SHOW

No doubt an impressive group of three films (only two of which Universal made,DEER HUNTER was an acquisition and is owned by others elsewhere.) Actually, if Universal really wants to salute their "legacy" , it would be cool to see them liberate all those terrific films they own from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, which sadly will likely never see the light of day. Universal was always a semi-B studio until Ross Hunter and Spielberg enriched its fortunes. I'll be amused to find out what's next in their legacy line....perhaps a 4th reissue of ANIMAL HOUSE
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Maybe SOMEWHERE IN TIME with have a 25th Aniv. Re-issue with a "Improved" Anamorphic transfer.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
It had better be Double Indemnity. This is by far the most deserving unreleased title in their catalog, and with the recent surge in film noir interest I can't even begin to understand why they haven't released it yet. This new series would be a perfect way to do so, though so far it's just a double dipping series.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
You know, I knew someone would bring that up. But in my opinion, if someone really likes the film, then the price of the Criterion shouldn't be that big a factor.

And as far as the presentation and content goes (which is all that really matters, anyway), the Criterion is top-notch, and is well down the list of films deserving a re-release. Probably wouldn't even register on such a list, actually.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have recently become somewhat optimstic that, with Universal finally beginning to kick some ass with a fairly heavy (for them) catalog release schedule, we will actually see the science-fiction classics emerge, perhaps in one large or two smaller multi-disc sets (how about including anamorphic widescreen transfers of COLOSSUS and ICEMAN!!!???). And maybe they'll go back to PARENTHOOD, which is my favorite Ron Howard film to date, and do that correctly. DOUBLE INDEMNITY might indeed be brought out at last. Another Bob Hope set including CAT AND THE CANARY. There must have been a change of the guard (or certainly a change of the attitude) at the studio.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Personally, I would like them to give the deluxe "Legacy Edition" treatment to "Day of the Jackal". It would also be nice to see them do something with "Mirage". I could go on and on...

Regards,

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Since they played up the Academy Award® angle in the first news release, my suspicion is that the 'Legacy Series' may be for award winners only. This would eliminate DOUBLE INDEMNITY for consideration, right? We shall see...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Well, with seven Oscar nominations and a listing on the National Film Registry, I think they should bend the "rules" a little. :)

Regards,

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
I second the "The Incredible Shrinking Man". That existential monologue Grant Williams gives at the end still gets' me all misty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks