What's new

OT- House building question (1 Viewer)

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are the best source I know of to ask this.
Are floor trusses worth the extra money? In my case they are only $2k more. I know they can span greater distances but that's all I know about them. Are they less likely to sag and cause squeeks above over time?
Ultimate goal is to have a HT in the basement. Can you attach things (projectors, ceilings) underneath them?
Thanks,
Rob
------------------
Rob Lloyd
Rob's Web Page

Howard_A

Stunt Coordinator
Are you talking about those cross pieces between the joists? Our builder used a few of those in areas where the load was expected to be greater than normal or during particularly long runs.
I also had them install mounting blocks between the joists in the area where I planned to hang the projector.

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I think he is refering to those engineered "I-beam" type trusses. Right?
I think they work just like any other floor joist, but they are lighter and stronger. I haven't actually performed any structural calculations on those, but I'm sure you can have longer spans. As to squeeking...that's caused by the floor boards coming up off of the joists and rubbing on the nails. That can be avoided by using screws and construction adhesive, regardless of the type of joist used.
Since they are lighter, they can be installed much faster. This would save some money on labor. But since the builder is charging $2000 more then it must be coming from the higher price of materials.
Personally, I'd go with the engineered trusses. They have been engineered to outperform standard 2x12 joists. There are probably other benifits I didn't mention here.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I think the builder was referring to engineered trusses. Like small bridges. I don't think he was referring to the I beam like joists.
Is it worth it if that's the cost? It's not much more money if it's signifiacatly stronger and I might not need any/far less supports in the basement.
I know one advantage is its easier to run wireing and plumbing since it's open.
Thanks for the help.
My projector is dying for a place to play in :)
(I had a deal I couldn't refuse so I bought it pre-maturely)

Charles R

Auditioning
My opinion is the builder should know what's needed to do it "right"
I'm building now and if my builder asked me "Do you want those six steel beams under the center of the main level floor?" I would think... how the heck do I know! That's his job. If you trust him to build the house he should be able to tell you if they are needed.
------------------
Visit my DVD Collection

Tim Brewers

Agent
Well as a builder myself, I think the builder is asking if he would like to upgrade to engineered trusses. The builder might normally used I beams or structural lumber, but was asking if the customer prefers the trusses. I would take this as a good gesture by the builder, by not trying to talk the home owner into doing what the builder wants. Now, IMHO it is worth the money to use the trusses. That is all we use, no squeaks, no sag, no bounce, and best of all, easily sheetrocked without having to build soffits around everything. Everything is run above the ceiling line.
Brew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks