What's new

Live 8 DVD? (1 Viewer)

RossHy

Agent
Has anyone heard if a DVD of today's Live 8 concerts will be released? If so, please post with any info. Thanks!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I thought I read something about a future CD/DVD release online this past week. I post a link if I remember where I read it!

Ray-M

Agent
EMI to Release Live 8 on DVD

Live 8has just announced it's teaming up with music giant EMI for a worldwide deal for the Live 8 performances happening on July 2. According to the agreement, EMI will provide a large financial contribution to the Live 8 organization in exchange for the worldwide DVD rights to its concerts in the UK, Canada, US, France, Germany and Italy.

"We are very grateful to EMI for their financial contribution which helped to make the July 2nd concerts happen everywhere on the planet and thus nudge the world a little closer towards our shared aim," said Bob Geldof. "I hope this will be the biggest selling DVD of all time. It deserves to be."

Geldof isn't the only one excited. EMI Music Canada President Deane Cameron is just as keen. "On its own, the Toronto area show already boasts an astonishing line-up of artists," he said.

No date as of yet.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The Billboard article says the DVD will come out in November and will tailor the content to each country.

That blows.

Personally, just like with Live Aid, the US acts were uninteresting. It's the UK acts I enjoy. So I will have to import a version. Hopefully the Scottish acts will be incorporated into the UK disc as well otherwise there's two imports I'll have to buy.

:angry:

-paul

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Anything to avoid the idiots on MTV who broke in halfway through Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb." The Pink Floyd reunion is the biggest draw of the whole bloody thing and they have some smug twentysomething jackasses bust in to give their opnion and don't even finish the song. I Tivo'd the ABC "highlights" show and not only did they only play one Pink Floyd song, but cut THAT one out as well.

UGH.

(I agree that the UK acts were better than the US ones; hell, the bands in Johannesburg were likely better than the US ones)

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Mark, the Pink Floyd reunion is the biggest
and best story of all of the shows around the world.
I missed the coverage yesterday- what songs did
Pink Floyd play?

WillardK

Second Unit

That's a bit of an insulting swipe at the likes of Orchestre Baobab, the Mahotella Queens, Lucky Dube and others who all have a more respectable reputation than you might imagine.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I was wondering about this as well (given MTV's terrible, shameful, unforgivable coverage) and am pleasantly surprised (given the purpose of the event) that something (what is yet to be seen, of course) will be released on DVD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Breathe, Money, Wish You Were Here, and Comfortably Numb-- unless you were watching MTV / VH1 in which case it was Comfortably Nu .

- Steve

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
So let me get this straight. In Canada, only the Barrie show will be available on DVD? In the States, it'll be the Philadelphia show and England, the Hyde Park show??

What a disappointment. I watched the coverage all day yesterday and have to say that London got the best of the bunch. I was very disappointed in the Barrie show. The bands I was looking forward to sounded horrible for the most part. As for the Philadelphia show, I got to see very little of that.

I think they should release it as they did with the original 'Live Aid' set. Make it a mixed bag, perhaps extend it to a 6-disc set. I don't know. I was looking forward to sitting this on my shelf with the original concert. But if the Canada show is all I'm getting, I'll pass. What a rip.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I find it hard to believe that they won't try to make as much money as possible (especially since it's for a charity) by releasing the concerts worldwide. Maybe they'll do multiple sets like Live 8: Philadelphia, Live 8: London, etc. and then you could choose which one you wanted to buy.

I mean it's not like there aren't Pink Floyd or Paul McCartney fans in America:)

Eric Larsen

Agent
Considering the fact that the article was written before the concerts happened, adding that the quoted statistic I read this morning was that five million people watched over the internet, I strongly hope that EMI will reconsider and sell DVDs of the other Live 8 concerts from the other countries. It will add great aid to the cause as there was a great cross-pollination of artists at each show that many are interested in seeing and having DVDs of the performances.

Knowing the good that can be done, I'd even be likely to purchase a show that I was less likely to be interested in (musically speaking).

But as for now, it's Sunday afternoon and I'm still enjoying watching online the concerts from around the globe that didn't get covered on TV!

Last, but not but least, we didn't have to wait twenty years this time. They'll get released. With Green Day, Brian Wilson, and Crosby, Stills and Nash (I think) in Berlin, The Cure in Paris, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and Duran Duran in Rome, Neil Young and Barenaked Ladies in Canada, and oh yeah the phenomenal London concert, people will pay to support the cause and have the DVDs. It's pretty great that Stevie Wonder concert footage will finally be on DVD too.

And if you haven't signed the list yet...

Even if they do release different DVDs for different countries, just as long as they don't cut too much stuff like the LiveAid DVD, and leave The Who, Pink Floyd and Macca's ending (especially Helter Skelter) intact, I'll be very happy.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the article meant that.

"AOL Music will carry all six of the worldwide Live 8 concerts live and EMI has inked a deal to release the event on DVD in November. The company will tailor the content of the releases to each worldwide market."

This might mean just cutting out announcements in languages that other regions won't understand.

Right now, I'd really like to see a boxset of the whole thing. Oh, that would be so nice!

They'd have to be stupid not to show the rest. If they did that, the next one might have groups from all over the world converging to one place, just so it would all get on the DVD's.

Glenn

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I want all countries coverage.
I want the GLOBE set, coverage of all of the performances good or bad!!!

It's important to record history and not highlight history and this is one way we can see no matter how dull or how exciting the day went in each country, all of it was recorded and all of it can be available..Go one up on the current Live Aid set!!!

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
I can't believe they wouldn't sell the whole thing at once. (If I had to choose, I'm getting the London concert, but this just screams out for a massive, massive box set.)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I taped (but did not yet watch) the first six hours of MTV's coverage. Did they show, or does anyone know what was played at the Pet Shop Boys portion from Moscow? Or anything on Queen/Paul Rodgers? By far, the UK show had the best acts...

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The article didn't mean just the Canadian show will be sold in Canada, more like specific acts won't be on all discs. Pet Shop Boys might only be on the Moscow and UK discs, but not the US/Canada discs. Snoop Dog or someone might only be on the US disc and not the UK. You can be sure McCartney, Pink Floyd, Madonna will be global.

Eric, check your PM. As far as PSB are concerned:
Suburbia
Domino Dancing
New York City Boy
Always On My Mind
Where The Streets Have No Name
West End Girls
Left To My Own Devices
Go West

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks