Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Bride & Prejudice... Very Recommended...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 11:34 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Shane Burton

Shane Burton

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 03:12 AM

This is a great, very detailed review. But the lavender and yellow scorches my eyes out, and is hard to read. Other than that, great job!

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hi Dave, The picture looked fine on our 185" screen. Dear Frankie looked worse. As far as bollywood-esque movies go, it was true to form, corny (replete with inconsistent film stock), with the best performances coming from the supporting players. The only time Rai looked good was in a t-shirt (western look). Her co-star who played JAYA was way better looking NEXT to her in full sari regalia. ps. Navin and Indra (who played the sister and brother) played lovers in KAMA SUTRA. She's since been whitened up. They are both British by the way. The only Americans were quite pale and ghastly looking, lol. My fave character was Koli, who sounded worst with an American accent.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 10:43 AM

Thanks to your review, I bumped this up to Number 1 in my Netflix queue.
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 01:24 PM

I have never seen this, but like to watch Bollywood films from time to time. Thanks for the review. I will have to at least rent this and perhaps purchase.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted July 11 2005 - 10:34 PM

I really enjoyed this in the theater. I got the album (both English and Hindi versions) and was looking forward to seeing the deleted number "Arrogance, Pride and Vanity." The song is on the album, and the scene is listed on the UK DVD as a bouns feature, but it's not on the American DVD I bought. I wish I had looked more closely. I don't think we get anything that the British disc didn't have. How annoying.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 846 posts

Posted July 17 2005 - 04:08 PM

I watched it tonight and throughly enjoyed it. The first dance number was great! Aishwarya Rai is stunningly beautiful.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted July 18 2005 - 03:20 AM

Did not like this movie at all. Sorry.
M.J.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 18 2005 - 04:35 AM

I'm a big Bollywood fan, and wasn't really a fan of this film. It wasn't quite as over the top as Bollywood films usually are. And frankly, it was kind of dull at times. As for the transfer, while I didn't see it theatrically, even on the 27 inch screen I watched it on I have to say the DVD really suffered from the whole Miramax look, the soft colors etc. Not a good transfer. Which also hurt the film as Bollywood films normally use extremely bright colors. It is a good introduction to Bollywood, but not one I would recommend or watch more than once.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 18 2005 - 05:24 AM

Had I not seen this film theatrically, I would have said almost the exact same thing.

Having seen the 35mm projection...I can tell you that the "look" of the image is, in fact, due to the film itself and not a signature of poor DVD mastering.

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users