What's new

So what's the best game system, PS2 or... (1 Viewer)

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of getting a PS2. But what's this Nintendo cube thing? Or that Xbox? What's the differences among them? How bout games? DOes one have alot more software available than the others?
-Erik

Michael*K

Screenwriter
PS2 has been out a year, so it already has hundreds of titles. The Nintendo Game Cube has about 20 games coming out in the first month. I've seen a demo of the new Star Wars game for the Game Cube and the graphics and gameplay left my jaw on the floor.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its all about the games IMHO...
PS2 has a wide variety of games already coz its been out for awhile now... Lots of big titles in action and sports... Upcoming hits include Max Payne (multi platform), SoulReaver2, and Metal Gear solid 2...
Xbox has its HALO, and Project Gotham racing, dont expect to see any real Kiddy games here...
Gamecube is much more youth-oriented... from the features to the size to the games, its all for kids... except for the Resident Evil series... it looks awesome, look: http://www.egmmag.com/Res/shot01.html
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Atari 7800. With its full back-compatibility with the 2600, it's got the largest library of time-tested games.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
from the features to the size to the games, its all for kids
This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you honestly believe this, you have obviously not been paying attention to what games are coming to Gamecube.
Gamecube will have a healthy mix of mature-style games and games for people of all ages.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If its all about the games, then you should know that its more the gameplay than the visual style. Yes, the GCN (GameCube) has more games that look less adult, but they are still fun.
If I had to reccommend one console to go with, it would the PS2. It has a bunch of good games coming out this month, plus a bunch that have come out in the last year. It also has online games already.
The X-Box has better graphics than the GameCube which has better graphics than the PS2. But then again, in the hands of the right developers, a game could be on the Dreamcast and look like it was on the X-Box.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I don't believe there is any definitive BEST console. That said, there is a console that is BEST for your tastes. Head to IGN or some such game site, look at what the PS2, Gamecube and X-Box each offer and see which one best reflects your interests.
Dan (UK)

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Dan I couldn't agree more, The best advice for you is to wait 3 weeks. Once all of the systems are out, have a look at what everyone is offering. You can take the easy route and grab a PS2 now but there is a very good chance that youll be kicking yourself later for not waiting a bit longer.
Dean

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Saying what's best is impossible since it all depends on the games you like to play. I split my decision between an XBox and PS2. They're both excellent systems. I'm itching to hear my games in real-time Dolby Digital with the XBox which persuaded me to preorder multi-platform titles for the XBox. I don't like the lineup of the Gamecube. There's nothing there that appeals to me except Rogue Leader. I'll wait for the GameCube to drop in price before I consider buying it just for one title. The Resident Evil titles are now a GameCube exclusive, but I don't think that's going to change Nintendo's reputation as a "kiddie" machine.
So, look at the titles, see what you like, and decide for yourself.
Mike

John Beavers

Second Unit
I am also looking to get a game system this year. I almost sprung for a PS2 this weekend. However, what I need to know is, is PS2 backwards compatible with PS1 games? I'm a big fan of Strategy Roleplaying games and there a few in the PS1 format I'd love to get my hands on. Especially now that the pricing is below $20 a pop.
As for best gaming system...I'd list the following as the 10 most important criteria in choosing a game system:
1. Games
2. Games
3. Processing Power
4. Video quality
5. Audio quality
6. Games
7. Games
8. Financial stability of the company making the gaming system.
9. Games
10. do you care, if in the future, all gaming systems are "Microsoft"? :)
[Edited last by John Beavers on November 05, 2001 at 01:55 PM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
PS1 games will play on PS2, but you need a PS1 memory card to save PS1 games. You can transfer data from PS1 memory cards to PS2 memory cards, but you need a memory card for each type of game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks