Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iPod Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 09:03 AM

Not sure if this is the right place to put it. Anywho, all the iPods are now in color with the exception of the mini's, but I expect that to change given the trend. I currently have the 30 GB Photo, which I simply adore.

Do you guys think they'll ever do video?

BTW, does anybody here have the shuffle? How does loading the songs work? Space isn't a question on my 30, but if I want only a few select songs on the shuffle, how does that work?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 01 2005 - 10:18 AM

I fully expect video to be somewhere on the horizon for the iPod. It's just a matter of providing DRM-contolled content, or putting the hooks into "open" applications like iMovie.

The Shuffle has options for you to manually manage a playlist (thus you would add the songs / albums / podcasts you want to hear). It also has an "autofill" option that will create a playlist for you, either at random, or based on the ratings you have given songs. You can autofill from your entire library, or from yet another playlist. Thus, if you have a playlist of your favorite Beatles songs, you could tell the Shuffle to pick a few until it fills to capacity.

Oh, and the 1 gig unit just dropped $20 in retail price...

- Steve

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 12:11 PM

I wouldnt want video, but I do know I'm upgrading my third gen iPod to a color 4th.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 01:50 PM

I'd think they'd at least add video file support so you could send them from your digital camera.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 01:40 AM

I remember reading in a Business 2.0 article that Apple is currently in research on a bunch of different variations of the iPod...video...cell phones...they're looking to milk this baby. You won't catch me with one though, I'm sticking by my MiniDisc Posted Image

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 05:44 AM

Dome, I gave this a little thought and concluded that your thread is best suited for A/V Sources rather than the Music area — especially since you all are discussing the possible inclusion of video on an iPod. Carry on. JB

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted July 02 2005 - 05:58 AM

Thank you good sir. The lowering of the iPod shuffle price has me intrigued. Now I'll have an excuse to finally make my 80's montage playlist for the gym Posted Image

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   McPaul

McPaul

Screenwriter

• 1,724 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted July 02 2005 - 07:54 AM

I love my shuffle. When you plug it in, it opens up a special feature of your iTunes that fills it automatically. You can fill it automatically where it selects random songs from your Library, or you can turn off autofill, and fill it yourself. If you have a USB 2.0 connection, this doesn't take much time at all, do it everytime you come home to dock it, and it's ready to go with a bunch of different songs.

Very cool.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Scott L

Scott L

Producer

• 4,466 posts

Posted July 03 2005 - 08:12 PM

Hate to say it but my 30gb ipod photo feels like it's 2 years old. The display is boring compared to the iRiver players, reminds me of my last bare-bones cell phone. Of course I'm used to customizing an animated background, screensaver, etc... on cell phones so that may play a part in my rant. Posted Image

What I do like about the ipod is you can view a song's album photo in full on the screen, the simplicity & handiness of the clickwheel, and the amount of aftermarket gizmos available for the ipod is insane. I love hooking it up to my alpine head unit and seeing the song tag info appear, as well as charging & controlling what I listen to, all from the head unit. Posted Image

Oh btw, how do you upload photos onto the ipod? I wish you could do it with iTunes but from my understanding you need extra software to do that right?

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,514 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted July 04 2005 - 11:59 AM

Quote:
I'd think they'd at least add video file support so you could send them from your digital camera.

Already (partially) there. A little known feature of the Apple iPod Camera Connector (a $30 device that hooks up between your digicam and your color-screened iPod) is that it not only pulls over picture files, but pretty much anything else that your camera generates, including video files. It can't play them back, but it does free up the space on your digicam's memory card.
Quote:
Oh btw, how do you upload photos onto the ipod? I wish you could do it with iTunes but from my understanding you need extra software to do that right?
Wrong - it is done through iTunes. What may be throwing you off is the option to sync photos is only available when the iPod is connected to iTunes. When you have your iPod connected, bring up the iPod options (click on the little iPod icon that will appear in the lower right corner of iTunes) and select the Photos tab. On the Mac, you can sync up with your iPhoto library or selected Albums; on Windows you can choose folders (default is the standard My Pictures folder).

I do believe the next generation of iPods will do video, but I'm guessing they will be a different form factor (perhaps an additional line like the mini) to accomodate a larger screen. I just can't get why anyone would want to watch video on the current tiny little iPod screen.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Jennifer B

Jennifer B

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted July 04 2005 - 07:34 PM

Also interesting may be that you can not only manually fill the Shuffle, but also rearrange songs. Just grab them in the iPod Shuffle playlist and drag them up and down until they are in the order you want. for example, I have them sorted by artis first and album second. Then, if you want you can turn off the shuffle feature on the iPod and click through your songs in order. Makes it easier to find a song wiothout display.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted July 07 2005 - 07:51 AM

The Shuffle is great and I started out with the 512 MB model. After about 60 days I wanted more. I currently have a silver mini and it is about 3/4 full. I have been eyeing the 60 gig color iPod (much to my wife's chagrin)!!! I still use the shuffle when I go and so something physical like biking or running.

Forum Nav Content I Follow