What's new

Howzabout making a list of nigh-flawless TVonDVD releases for a change? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
And to start things off, I'd like to nominate...

The Dick Van Dyke Show

I've got all five seasons of this wonderful show, and all the episodes look great, they're all completely uncut and unaltered, in the correct order, and have tons of amazing extras packed into every box as well as nicely formatted informative liner notes. And, the packaging is absolutely divine. The only screwups I noted were a couple of typos in the episode titles on the onscreen menus, and there may be one or two menu navigation quirks. Other than that, boy, I wish all TV shows could get as perfect a release as this, which luckily happens to be my favorite American television comedy of all time. I couldn't be happer with it. Buy with confidence.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
The "My So Called Life" box set is fine as far as I can tell. There's no extra on it but it has a 5.1 remix track and the original stereo.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Jeffrey, I don't think I can top TDVDS dvds. They are the tops.

But I'll nominate The Mary Tyler Moore Show Season One set. The episodes look spectacular, with colors that absolutely pop, and the feature-length documentary is great. I'm hoping season two will have the same high video quality.

There's about 3 or 4 others I'd nominate as well, but I'll keep with the one-per-post that has preceeded me.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Greg the Bunny was treated pretty well on DVD for a failed show.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I'd add the first four seasons of Seinfeld to the list. None of the eps are cut and all look and sound very good, at least to me. The extras on this have kept me entertained for hours. Although there has been some criticism of the quality of the commentaries, this is really down to the participants and not the DVD producers IMO. All the other extras – documentaries, outtakes, trailers, Notes About nothing etc – are really worthwhile.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Although the transfer isn't the greatest. My off air tapes look better, for some episodes.

And not to mention everytime I see the set, I have flashbacks to the horror story that was the production of it (the lunchbox, etc.)

But I would nominate THE SIMPSONS. One show that is kind of overdone as far as extras go. It could be the episodes only and I would still love it.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
The best looking and/or sounding TV shows on DVD that I own include:

Angel Seasons 3(R2) & 5
24 Seasons 2 & 3
Buffy Seasons 5-7(R2 WS)
Friends Seasons 1-4
Arrested Development Season 1
Firefly
The West Wing Seasons 2-4
Alias Seasons 1-3
Star Trek TOS Vol. 12 & 16

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I often prefer the less high profile, more independent releases in terms of real attention being paid. A lot of the big studio releases (Paramount, Universal and Columbia are special offenders with some exceptions) seem anonymous or don't have any extras at all.

Certainly the Freaks and Geeks release is a prime example of a small release with a caring human touch. The two Punky Brewster sets were extraordinary for such a niche series. And while not yet released, the He-Man DVDs must be setting some new record for sheer amount of communication and respect for the fans.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Dammit Travis, you beat me to it! :D The Twilight Zone Definitive sets keep amazing me.

I'll go with Moonlighting. Just wonderful.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'd like to nominate the first nine seasons of Friends for not only the clarity of the episodes, but the extended length of every episode. This is an idea I wish other shows would employ.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The Farscape "Starburst Editions" have so far had outstanding A/V quality, and are chock full of extras to boot!

Also, I have to give Paramount their due here: All the Star Trek box sets of all the various Star Trek series have looked and sounded *fabulous* with the exception of a few episodes of the first season of The Next Generation. Paramount receives a lot of criticism regarding the price structure of these sets (and I agree that Voyager and Enterprise are overpriced in today's market); but Paramount also deserves some major praise for the provided presentation.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I already see one that I'd certainly veto. To be nigh-flawless, you've certainly got to at least be complete and uncut.

Extras are nice, but just that, extra. To be flawless, what you primarily need is decent quality video, and complete, uncut episodes. Some that qualify:

The Dick Van Dyke Show
Frasier
The Simpsons
MASH
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Rumpole of the Bailey
The Good Life
King of Queens
Cheers
Monk
To the Manor Born
I love Lucy
Columbo
Everybody Loves Raymond
Taxi
The Andy Griffith Show
Home Improvement (though this does get docked a point for horrendous packaging - with discs on top of each other :angry: )
Seinfeld
Night Court
The Brady Bunch
The Flintstones
The Twilight Zone
The Bob Newhart Show
The Partridge Family

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As George and others have mentioned, there are a few different dvd sets that are super-high quality, but, there is one that stands out over all the rest:

The Dick Van Dyke Show

The only shows that seem close to it, as far as classics go, would be The Twilight Zone and I Love Lucy. But DVD on DVD is tops on my list!

Gary "I rememeber the first time I saw the Season 1 set - it was just incredible on many levels" O.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

There was one Simpsons episode that originally had a reference to Tourettes Syndrome. After the original airing, that reference was changed to Rabies. The DVD contains the Rabies version.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Gee, George, what series is that? :D I almost didn't list it for that reason, but I figured someone would list it anyway, plus I Love Lucy, which has several edited episodes in the Fourth Season set. But your point is well taken.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I purposely didn't say which one, now did I? :) And the cuts for I Love Lucy fall into a different category at this point given the nature of those cuts.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Still no mention of Freaks & Geeks yet? Amazing release.

Have to agree with the inclusion of The Twilight Zone definitive season sets and The Dick Van Dyke Show as well.

And as much as I love The West Wing, these sets simply could have been better, Adam_ME. The extras have always been lacking and there is even a cut from one of the episodes in season 4.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
should mtm season one be included, with the one ep having a song that was cut do to not paying for the rights to the song?

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

I was just rating the video and audio quality. And what is this cut episode you're referring to? It's the first time I've heard about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks