Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Watts and speakers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 StanB

StanB

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 01:23 PM

Is there an instrument that one can hook up to the posts of a speaker and measure the watts it's drawing?

#2 of 6 Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 02:44 PM

If you connect a voltmeter in AC mode across the speaker terminals, you can get a rough estimate of average power: voltage squared divided by the approximate impedance of the speakers. (Example, you have 4 ohm speakers and the voltage readings fluctuate around 5 V AC... 5^2 / 4 is about 6 watts.) Depending on the music, the peak power could be 2 to 100 times more.

#3 of 6 StanB

StanB

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 01:42 AM

Thanks. I'll give that a try. Yes I have 4 ohm speakers.

#4 of 6 Alan M

Alan M

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 02:29 AM

There used to be an analog meter(passive) that would hook up in line to your mains to measure wattage.It was a two meter box meant to be used for home audio(it was a permanent piece to keep in your audio rack).I bought one in the late 70's from radio shack.I sold the meter in the early 80's.

I have been looking for said meter,for the last couple of years(rat shack no longer makes nor carries them) to no avail.

#5 of 6 ColinM

ColinM

Screenwriter

• 2,057 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 03:43 AM

There's also an LED type out there somewhere....
You call that a knife?

#6 of 6 Justin Ward

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 08:06 AM

There's a meter I've used at college before that is used for measuring AC power. I believe it has one set of leads that go in series with the speaker to get the current, it also has two leads that go in parallel to get the voltage. It takes this values and multiplies them to get overall power.