Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Beethoven Hi Rez Piana Sonatas and Symphonies?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   John*K

John*K

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 02:12 PM

I would like to buy hi rez versions of Beethoven's complete sonatas and his symphonies. Can anyone make a recommendation? I like the music, but don't know which perfomances I should be looking to. I would like multichannel if possible, preferably SACD. Box sets of regular CDs are okay, too. Thank you.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,875 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted June 29 2005 - 03:19 PM

IIRC the only set of the symphonies on DVD-A is the Barenboim. I've heard a couple of his B interpretations and consider him quite pedestrian.

So the rest of the high res B symphonies are all on SACD.

The SACD Herbey (von Karajan) set on DDG is pretty good...it's his 1964 cycle and by many standards is the best of his endlessly-recorded B cycles.

There are separate SACD recordings of many of the B symphonies, including the Szell 3rd, the Walter 6th, and the Carlos Kleiber 5th and 7th. All of these are marvelous.

You aren't going to get multichannel.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 06:33 PM

Abbado and Berlin Philarmonic versions of all nine symphonies have been released on dvd-audio. Supposedly Abbado is one of today's great conductors, although I am no expert, not by a long shot.

There was a very positive and very thorough review of Abbado's rendition of 7th and 8th symphony on high fidelity review site:

http://www.highfidel....umber=15248308

I recently bought the 5th and 6th symphony by Abbado during the latest deep discount dvd sale, just to try it out, before I buy other sypmphonies. I haven't had a chance to listen to it though.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 12:38 AM

With the Symphonies, you'd be better off buying individual releases; the complete cycles are mostly iffy.

As for the sonatas, not much is out there. Ronald Brautigam has begun recording all of them on SACD, but he's only on disc 2 of what will be a 17 disc set. Disc 1 was excellent; disc 2 will be out next month.
Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 01:42 AM

The Beethoven symphonies are also on Pentatone and they are very good.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s