-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official WAR OF THE WORLDS Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
540 replies to this topic

#1 of 541 Fred Bang

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted June 26 2005 - 11:23 PM

Couple of reviews over at AICN, by the way. Harry says its the best movie he's seen this year, and Moriaty's extremely positive also.

#2 of 541 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 12:06 AM

Reviews up at AICN and of course they flipped for it.

#3 of 541 Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 12:39 AM

Just came from seeing it tonight. Thought it was alright but nothing special. Definetly wasn't a fun film or adventure film and that kid in the movie crying throughout annoyed me. The effects were brilliant, though the ending was a bit abrupt. Oh well your milage may vary.

#4 of 541 DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
Reviews up at AICN and of course they flipped for it.

I wasn't sure they would. They've disliked the past couple of "sci-fi" Spielberg movies.

#5 of 541 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,523 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 28 2005 - 11:21 AM

Rave review up at MSNBC.com.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 541 Seppo

Seppo

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 12:21 PM

(Positive) reviews by Hollywood Reporter, Variety and Newsday.

#7 of 541 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 12:26 PM

Rotten Tomatoes
Good reviews across the board.
I don't like Cruise's behavior lately, but I'll still see the movie.

#8 of 541 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:14 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image from Ebert.

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#9 of 541 Patrick H.

Patrick H.

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 06:54 PM

I like Ebert a lot and often agree with him, but this is one of those bizarre reviews where he seems hung up on minutiae. In this case, it's the "impracticality of tripods." Although I haven't seen the movie yet, I think he might've missed the big picture here...

#10 of 541 Spero D

Spero D

Second Unit

• 490 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 07:40 PM

I agree with what most of Ebert said after watching the film. Guess I'm in the minority Posted Image

#11 of 541 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 07:59 PM

Every other week we have a thread discussion about another one of Ebert's questionable reviews. IMO in the last year he has gone from unreliable to reliably opposite of what everyone else thinks. I have gone from not using him to almost going with exactly the opposite of what he says.

#12 of 541 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,373 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 28 2005 - 09:38 PM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "War of the Worlds" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "War of the Worlds" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#13 of 541 Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 10:13 PM

I just listened to a very articulate talk online between Geoffrey Kleinman and Scott Weinberg, both of dvdtalk.com. They seem rather disappointed (or at least ambivalent).

http://www.dvdtalkra...com/player.html

http://www.dvdtalkra....fTheWorlds.mp3

#14 of 541 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,197 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted June 28 2005 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
I just listened to a very articulate talk online between Geoffrey Kleinman and Scott Weinberg, both of dvdtalk.com. They seem rather disappointed (or at least ambivalent).

From OUR Scott Weinberg's review at Rotten Tomatoes:

Quote:
"96% of the movie works so damn well that you'll be more than willing to forgive the 4% that does not."
4.5 out of 5 stars.

I think he liked War Of The Worlds quite a bit!Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#15 of 541 Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 01:30 AM

Quote:
I have gone from not using him to almost going with exactly the opposite of what he says.

Didn't look like you did after his 4-star review of Batman Begins. Posted Image

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#16 of 541 Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins

Producer

• 3,887 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 02:40 AM

The annoying thing about Ebert's reviews are, as mentioned, when he focuses on little things (like the Tripods) or when he compares a movie like WAR OF THE WORLDS unfavorably to a movie like THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

#17 of 541 Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 02:59 AM

According to what I read on another forum the rationale behind Ebert's review can be found on his Jurassic Park review:

Quote:
Think back to another ambitious special effects picture from Spielberg, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" (1977). That was a movie about the "idea" of visitors from outer space. It inspired us to think what an awesome thing it would be, if earth were visited by living alien beings. You left that movie shaken and a little transformed. It was a movie that had faith in the intelligence and curiosity of its audience.

In the 16 years since it was made, however, big-budget Hollywood seems to have lost its confidence that audiences can share big dreams. "Jurassic Park" throws a lot of dinosaurs at us, and because they look terrific (and indeed they do), we're supposed to be grateful. I have the uneasy feeling that if Spielberg had made "Close Encounters" today, we would have seen the aliens in the first 10 minutes, and by the halfway mark they'd be attacking Manhattan with death rays.

Because the movie delivers on the bottom line, I'm giving it three stars. You want great dinosaurs, you got great dinosaurs.

(emphasis added)

#18 of 541 GerardoHP

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor

• 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted June 29 2005 - 04:21 AM

and I couldn't agree more.
Gerardo

#19 of 541 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 06:25 AM

The thing is, we don't live in an "E.T." sorta world anymore, and Spielberg knows this. I have to give it to the man that he isn't living on past glories by simply retreading silly little aliens that go "OW!" Now, I just hope Tom can keep his moouth shut until after I go watch this movie!Posted Image
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#20 of 541 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 07:02 AM

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times's Kenneth Turan raved over the film in this morning's edition.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow