What's new

War of the Worlds (2005)

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Title: War of the Worlds

Tagline: They're already here.

Genre: Adventure, Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: Steven Spielberg

Cast: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Miranda Otto, Justin Chatwin, Tim Robbins, Rick Gonzalez, Yul Vazquez, Lenny Venito, Lisa Ann Walter, Ann Robinson, Gene Barry, David Alan Basche, Roz Abrams, Michael Brownlee, Camillia Sanes, Marlon Young, John Eddins, Peter Gerety, David Harbour, Miguel Antonio Ferrer, January LaVoy, Stephen Gevedon, Julie White, Marianne Ebert, Rafael Sardina, Amy Ryan, Ed Vassallo, Michael Arthur, Danny Hoch, Sharrieff Pugh, Erika LaVonn, Christopher Evan Welch, John Michael Bolger, Omar Jermaine, Robert Cicchini, Jim Hanna, Tracy Howe, Adam Lazarre-White, Vito D'Ambrosio, Laura Zoe Quist, Ana Maria Quintana, Lorelei Llee, Mark Manley, John Scurti, Becky Ann Baker, Mariann Mayberry, Ty Simpkins, Jerry Walsh, Tommy Guiffre, Daniel Franzese, Ed Schiff, Ellen Barry, Amy Hohn, Dan Ziskie, David Conley, Daniel Eric Gold, Booker T. Washington, Maggie Lacey, Eric Zuckerman, Daniel A. Jacobs, Asha R. Nanavati, Joaquin Perez-Campbell, Dendrie Taylor, James DuMont, Travis Aaron Wade, Benny Ciaramello, Ricky Luna, Columbus Short, Kent Faulcon, Kevin Collins, Terry Thomas, Clay Bringhurst, Jorge-Luis Pallo, Suanne Spoke, Kirsten Nelson, Melody Garrett, Lauri Johnson, Takayo Fischer, Shanna Collins, Elizabeth Jayne Hong, Art Chudabala, Jeffrey Hutchinson, Dempsey Pappion, Chris Todd, Johnny Kastl, Juan Carlos Hernández, Bruce W. Derdoski Jr., John N. Morales, Morgan Freeman, Peter E. Tasciotti, David Gere

Release: 2005-06-28

Runtime: 117

Plot: Ray Ferrier is a divorced dockworker and less-than-perfect father. Soon after his ex-wife and her new husband drop off his teenage son and young daughter for a rare weekend visit, a strange and powerful lightning storm touches down.

Couple of reviews over at AICN, by the way. Harry says its the best movie he's seen this year, and Moriaty's extremely positive also.

Spero D

Second Unit
Just came from seeing it tonight. Thought it was alright but nothing special. Definetly wasn't a fun film or adventure film and that kid in the movie crying throughout annoyed me. The effects were brilliant, though the ending was a bit abrupt. Oh well your milage may vary.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I wasn't sure they would. They've disliked the past couple of "sci-fi" Spielberg movies.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
I like Ebert a lot and often agree with him, but this is one of those bizarre reviews where he seems hung up on minutiae. In this case, it's the "impracticality of tripods." Although I haven't seen the movie yet, I think he might've missed the big picture here...

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Every other week we have a thread discussion about another one of Ebert's questionable reviews. IMO in the last year he has gone from unreliable to reliably opposite of what everyone else thinks. I have gone from not using him to almost going with exactly the opposite of what he says.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "War of the Worlds" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "War of the Worlds" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
4.5 out of 5 stars.

I think he liked War Of The Worlds quite a bit!;)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The annoying thing about Ebert's reviews are, as mentioned, when he focuses on little things (like the Tripods) or when he compares a movie like WAR OF THE WORLDS unfavorably to a movie like THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

Juan C

Second Unit
According to what I read on another forum the rationale behind Ebert's review can be found on his Jurassic Park review:

(emphasis added)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, we don't live in an "E.T." sorta world anymore, and Spielberg knows this. I have to give it to the man that he isn't living on past glories by simply retreading silly little aliens that go "OW!" Now, I just hope Tom can keep his moouth shut until after I go watch this movie!:D

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks