Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Buffalo Bill!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:20 AM

Wow. Was just planning to post Buffalo Bill in the thread about shows I want that will probably never be released and yay, there it is.

John Fiedler.
Charles Robinson
Meshach Taylor
Max Wright

Yay again.

Talking
The folks around here do some talking.
Turn on your set and see
Turn on your set right now
Find out what's happ'ning on the
Buffalo Bill show.

Buffalo is a land of opportunity.
Aaah. Girls Girls Girls
Who are good looking
and are for yoooooooou.

Talking
Talking
Talking
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#2 of 26 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:54 AM

John Fiedler just passed away. His obituary is in the
L.A. Times today. The obituary mentions 'Buffalo Bill',
while noting Fiedler is best remembered for his role on
'The Bob Newhart Show'.

#3 of 26 Wendy_L

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 06:17 AM

I remember watching this show when I was a kid because I lived in Buffalo, NY at the time. I wouldn't mind watching it again.
Who needs a life when you have TV?
My Current Top 10: Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Medium, Veronica Mars, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Lost, Heroes, Desperate Housewives, Entourage, Survivor
Top 3 All-Time Favorites: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Friends
I Still Miss: Tru Calling, Once &...

#4 of 26 John Carr

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 07:51 AM

Great show! Not one I expected to see for a long, long time... I will buy this one for sure.

Now, what about Slap Maxwell?

#5 of 26 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted June 28 2005 - 09:18 AM

Not really related, but from that same era: The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd!
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#6 of 26 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 10:23 AM

So, um is it coming out? And if so, when?!

#7 of 26 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 02:40 AM

Here you go, Ric:
http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=3616

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#8 of 26 Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 02:53 AM

How did this show get canceled so soon with Dabney Coleman, Geena Davis, and John Fielder in the cast?

Paul

#9 of 26 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,909 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 10:33 AM

IIRC, this show never had very big ratings and was moved around to different nights. It also may have a bit too cynical for the average viewer, not unlike Arrested Development. I was a huge fan of this show and am anxious to see if it holds up.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#10 of 26 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 11:50 AM

Quote:
Now, what about Slap Maxwell?
I'd have my glass eye on that one. Posted Image

#11 of 26 Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted September 05 2005 - 06:37 PM

Looking forward to picking this up, but with so many tv shows being released with syndicated prints I have to worry. There were shorter versions of this show which ran on A&E in 1986-1987. These versions would cut to commercial breaks at awkward places, then return from the break in the middle of a scene. I still have most of these A&E epsiodes on tape and they all run about 22:30. NBC sitcoms from this period usually run about two minutes longer than that. Is there any way to confirm that these are the original uncut NBC episodes before I break the shrink-wrap?

#12 of 26 MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 573 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted September 06 2005 - 06:53 AM

I found a review here:

http://www.classictv....ils.php?id=841

That seems to indicate that some of the episodes may be syndicated.

#13 of 26 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 01:50 PM

Ouch! Just picked it up today. While I have not picked up other shows that have been cut (ie: Alf, Ren and Stimpy: Uncut) I'm going to have to make an acception for this show. It's been one of my Holy Grails for a very long time.

Ric

#14 of 26 Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 04:31 PM

Okay, so things aren't as bad as I feared with this set. Every episode except for two appear to be the original NBC versions. Despite what the review from ClassicTVHits.com says, not a single episode runs as short as 21 mins. They're all in the 23-25 minute range. All but two, that is:

-The episode "Hit the Road, Newdell" opens with a disclaimer from writer/producer Tom Patchett explaining that a scene featuring Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" had to be removed. He states that the publishers would not allow its inclusion at any price. This episode runs about 22:15.

-The final episode, "Church of the Poisoned Mind" also runs a mere 22:15, yet this isn't the version A&E broadcast back in the late 80s. Since "Buffalo Bill" was never officially in syndication (as far as I know) except for the A&E airings, perhaps this was just a short episode(?)

So, I'm disappointed with the loss of a good scene, but it could have been a whole lot worse. Actually, I guess I'm pretty pleased.

By the way, be careful when picking up a copy at your favorite retailer. My nearest Wal-Mart had eight copies ($23.64 was their price) and every one of them had a loose disc rattling around inside. So I went to Best Buy. They had four copies ($24.99), two of them with loose discs. Of course, I bought one of the two that didn't rattle.

#15 of 26 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted September 06 2005 - 05:45 PM

I went to pick up a copy of this,earlier tonight.The two stores I went to never had it.I inquired about it,at one of the stores,and the clerk said(get ready for the dreaded I word)that it's an import.Why doesn't this surprise me?Now,this is the second sereis,along with Tales From The Crypt,that I've wanted,but haven't been able to buy because of them being imports.Posted Image

#16 of 26 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,021 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted September 06 2005 - 07:17 PM

Quote:
a scene featuring Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" had to be removed. He states that the publishers would not allow its inclusion at any price.

Not ANY price? That was supposed to be the key moment in the episode.

This music rights BS has to stop NOW by ANY means necessary.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#17 of 26 Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Now,this is the second sereis,along with Tales From The Crypt,that I've wanted,but haven't been able to buy because of them being imports

Why can't you buy imports?

As for the music rights issue, looks like the RAY movie may have driven up the costs.

#18 of 26 JeffWld

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

• 235 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 04:02 AM

Quote:
-The episode "Hit the Road, Newdell" opens with a disclaimer from writer/producer Tom Patchett explaining that a scene featuring Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" had to be removed. He states that the publishers would not allow its inclusion at any price.

I wonder if this situation had any impact for the upcoming Dick Cavett Show DVD featuring Ray Charles.

#19 of 26 Jeff Briggs

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted September 07 2005 - 02:36 PM

I was in the States in 83 & saw quite a few of the episodes. Sure there were lots of cynical comments but the dialoguewas brilliant and had me laughing out loud. Unfortunately I never heard of Buffalo Bill ever being shown in Australia. When I saw it listed I pre-ordered as fast as I could. Yesterday I was advised that the dvds have been posted & now I can hardly wait.

#20 of 26 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted September 09 2005 - 06:09 PM

Quote:
Why can't you buy imports?
I can buy imports,but only on-line.I'm hesitant of shopping on-line, so I'd rather buy them at the stores.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow