What's new

Buffalo Bill! (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Wow. Was just planning to post Buffalo Bill in the thread about shows I want that will probably never be released and yay, there it is.

John Fiedler.
Charles Robinson
Meshach Taylor
Max Wright

Yay again.

Talking
The folks around here do some talking.
Turn on your set and see
Turn on your set right now
Find out what's happ'ning on the
Buffalo Bill show.

Buffalo is a land of opportunity.
Aaah. Girls Girls Girls
Who are good looking
and are for yoooooooou.

Talking
Talking
Talking

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
John Fiedler just passed away. His obituary is in the
L.A. Times today. The obituary mentions 'Buffalo Bill',
while noting Fiedler is best remembered for his role on
'The Bob Newhart Show'.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I remember watching this show when I was a kid because I lived in Buffalo, NY at the time. I wouldn't mind watching it again.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Great show! Not one I expected to see for a long, long time... I will buy this one for sure.

Now, what about Slap Maxwell?

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
How did this show get canceled so soon with Dabney Coleman, Geena Davis, and John Fielder in the cast?

Paul

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, this show never had very big ratings and was moved around to different nights. It also may have a bit too cynical for the average viewer, not unlike Arrested Development. I was a huge fan of this show and am anxious to see if it holds up.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to picking this up, but with so many tv shows being released with syndicated prints I have to worry. There were shorter versions of this show which ran on A&E in 1986-1987. These versions would cut to commercial breaks at awkward places, then return from the break in the middle of a scene. I still have most of these A&E epsiodes on tape and they all run about 22:30. NBC sitcoms from this period usually run about two minutes longer than that. Is there any way to confirm that these are the original uncut NBC episodes before I break the shrink-wrap?

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Ouch! Just picked it up today. While I have not picked up other shows that have been cut (ie: Alf, Ren and Stimpy: Uncut) I'm going to have to make an acception for this show. It's been one of my Holy Grails for a very long time.

Ric

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so things aren't as bad as I feared with this set. Every episode except for two appear to be the original NBC versions. Despite what the review from ClassicTVHits.com says, not a single episode runs as short as 21 mins. They're all in the 23-25 minute range. All but two, that is:

-The episode "Hit the Road, Newdell" opens with a disclaimer from writer/producer Tom Patchett explaining that a scene featuring Ray Charles' "Hit the Road Jack" had to be removed. He states that the publishers would not allow its inclusion at any price. This episode runs about 22:15.

-The final episode, "Church of the Poisoned Mind" also runs a mere 22:15, yet this isn't the version A&E broadcast back in the late 80s. Since "Buffalo Bill" was never officially in syndication (as far as I know) except for the A&E airings, perhaps this was just a short episode(?)

So, I'm disappointed with the loss of a good scene, but it could have been a whole lot worse. Actually, I guess I'm pretty pleased.

By the way, be careful when picking up a copy at your favorite retailer. My nearest Wal-Mart had eight copies ($23.64 was their price) and every one of them had a loose disc rattling around inside. So I went to Best Buy. They had four copies ($24.99), two of them with loose discs. Of course, I bought one of the two that didn't rattle.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I went to pick up a copy of this,earlier tonight.The two stores I went to never had it.I inquired about it,at one of the stores,and the clerk said(get ready for the dreaded I word)that it's an import.Why doesn't this surprise me?Now,this is the second sereis,along with Tales From The Crypt,that I've wanted,but haven't been able to buy because of them being imports.:angry:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Not ANY price? That was supposed to be the key moment in the episode.

This music rights BS has to stop NOW by ANY means necessary.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Why can't you buy imports?

As for the music rights issue, looks like the RAY movie may have driven up the costs.

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if this situation had any impact for the upcoming Dick Cavett Show DVD featuring Ray Charles.

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
I was in the States in 83 & saw quite a few of the episodes. Sure there were lots of cynical comments but the dialoguewas brilliant and had me laughing out loud. Unfortunately I never heard of Buffalo Bill ever being shown in Australia. When I saw it listed I pre-ordered as fast as I could. Yesterday I was advised that the dvds have been posted & now I can hardly wait.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I can buy imports,but only on-line.I'm hesitant of shopping on-line, so I'd rather buy them at the stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks