What's new

Directors What are your favorite classic, current or recent TV sitcoms ? (1 Viewer)

BrettHarris

Auditioning
Irrespective whether they're on DVD, or aren't yet, but soon or eventually will be, what are your personal favorite classic (as in ones that finished production before, or up to 1985), current (still being made) and / or recent (as in recently in production, but since finished within the last 1 - 10 years) TV sitcom shows and please say why, for each one/s named ?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I don't watch much in the way of current television, though I like 24, but two series from the Nineties that I view as bonafide classics are the X-Files and Homicide: Life on the Street. Although very different shows, what makes them classics is quality . . . quality of the writing, acting and overall production. I'm collecting Homicide (up to Season 6) and just started on the X-Files.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Sticking strictly with sitcoms, here are a few from my list of favorites:

Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle USMC, Leave It To Beaver, Dick Van Dyke Show, Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Monkees, Partridge Family - childhood favorites, still love them today

Cheers, Three's Company, Home Improvement, Designing Women, Golden Girls, SOAP, Ellen, The Jeffersons, Fresh Prince, Newhart (the one at the inn in Vermont), M*A*S*H, Mad About You - just plain funny (with some excellent dramatic touches on some from time to time), and great characters

Wings, WKRP - probably my 2 all-time favorites; great writing, great ensemble casts - I never get tired of these two

P.S. - This list would probably belong in the POLLS forum

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My favorites--

Classic:

WKRP IN CINCINNATI (my favorite sitcom of all time)
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
POLICE SQUAD!
THE HONEYMOONERS

Classic-era shows that weren't intended to be sitcoms, but often work as sitcoms, IMHO:

DRAGNET (1967-70 version)
LOST IN SPACE

Recent:

THE SIMPSONS (though I haven't been able to see new episodes for the last 4-5 years)
GET A LIFE
NIGHT COURT

Current:

none (a sorry state of affairs, innit?) :frowning:

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Just going by what I have/want on DVD, since a complete list would be much longer:

Classic
I Love Lucy, Bewitched, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, All In The Family, The Jeffersons, Get Smart, Batman (would this be considered a comedy?)

Recent
Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Mad About You, Murphy Brown, The Cosby Show, Roseanne

Current
Will & Grace

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Classic: Dad's Army, Beverley Hillbillies [I was under ten when this was on, so excuse my lack of critical faculties], Yes Prime Minister, Newsradio, Drop the Dead Donkey, Porridge

Recent: Friends

Current: Simpsons, Will and Grace

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Classic: Honeymooners, Father Knows Best, Sgt. Bilko, Leave It To Beaver, McHale's Navy, My Three Sons, Dick Van Dyke Show, The Andy Griffith Show, Bewitched

Recent: The Jeffersons, Taxi, Cheers, Roseanne, The Golden Girls, Moonlighting, Frasier, Murphy Brown, Dream On, Keeping Up Appearances, In Living Color, The Larry Sanders Show

Current: Curb Your Enthusiam, Scrubs, As Time Goes By, The King of Queens, Coupling, Arrested Development

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Classic: Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart Show

Recent: Cheers, MASH, and Taxi

Current: Arrested Development, Scrubs, and Two & a Half Men

All of the above sitcoms are/were intellegently written with great ensemble casts.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I knew I'd forget and leave some things out...

Add Get Smart and It's Garry Shandling's Show to my list.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Classic: Beverly Hillbillies, Honeymooners, Flintstones (animated sitcom).

Recent: Fraser

Current: none

To me, adult cartoons are animated sitcoms.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Mary Tyler Moore
Golden Girls
Newsradio
Absolutely Fabulous

and all six episodes of Police Squad!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Classic: Leave it to Beaver, The Many Loves of Doby Gillis, The Patty Duke Show, The Brady Bunch, The Jeffersons, What's Happening?, Good Times, MASH, WKRP

80's: Family Ties, Soap, Diff'rent Strokes, Silver Spoons, Cheers (the first 4-5 seasons)

Recent: Seinfeld, South Park, Simpsons, Newsradio, Roseanne (really underrated show, probably as good at "serious" episodes/topics as any sitcom I've seen other than MASH), Friends, King of the Hill, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Malcolm in the Middle (1st 2 seasons only), Dr. Katz, Beevis & Butthead

Current: I don't watch a single show of any type regularly anymore. But I have seen a few eps of Home Movies and thought it was very funny.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
50s: I Love Lucy

60s: Dick Van Dyke Show, The Twilight Zone, The Andy Griffith Show

70s: The Brady Bunch, Columbo, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Good Life, The Bob Newhart Show, The Partridge Family, To the Manor Born

80s: WKRP in Cincinnati, The Cosby Show, Cheers, Taxi, Rumpole of the Bailey, Night Court

90s: Frasier, The Simpsons, Star Trek: TNG, Home Improvement, Seinfeld

2000s: Everybody Loves Raymond

Current: Monk, The King of Queens

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Dick Van Dyke Show

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The Bob Newhart Show

M*A*S*H

Cheers

Newhart

Seinfeld

King of the Hill

Coupling

The Office

The Simpsons

WKRP In Cincinnati

Yes Minister

Yes Prime Minister

The Royale Family

Arrested Development

Frazier

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator
Classics I Love Lucy, Good Times, Laverne and Shirley, Soap, Benson, Are You Being Served?

Recent Frazier, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, Night Court, News Radio, Mama's Family, The Critic, The Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted, Chef!, Roseanne

Current Wil and Grace, King of Queens, The George Lopez Show

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
Classic:

The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, The Bob Newhart Show, Newhart, Taxi, Happy Days, Cheers, WKRP in Cincinnati, Three's Company, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Get Smart, The Dick Van Dyke Show, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Batman (Adam West), Family Ties

Recent:

Seinfeld, Futurama, Frasier, Home Improvement, Everybody Loves Raymond, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Wings

Current:

The Simpsons

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks