Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Loving my HSU STF-2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan_McG

Ryan_McG

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 27 2005 - 03:19 PM

Hey all,

Well back a few weeks ago I picked up an STF-2. I use it in conjunction with a Pioneer VSX-1014 and Athena F2's B1's and a C1. When I first set it up, I must say I was thoroughly satisfied, but let me tell you that I just calibrated it properly, and it is truly unbelievable!It's not as much the loudness (Even thought the loudness seems never-ending) but how clear, precise and accurate it is, it is really stunning. I have to say that a sub is a very if not the most important piece to balance your home theater puzzle out, and this just adds an incredible dimension that nothing in that price range can compete with, im my opinion of course.

If anyone is in the market for sub supremacy and their budget is around $400 to $500, the HSU STF-2 is the sub for you!

Anyone else have one and care to share their opinion?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 04:19 AM

Yes I agree, after over a year of ownership I am still impressed by my STF-2. And like you said not only by its clean loudness and depth, but by just how well it blends in, how tight it is and in general just how right it sounds. I paid $350 for mine (back when they sold them at CompUSA) and it was certainly the best deal I have gotten in my HT. And it is probably my favorite peace of equipment.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan_McG

Ryan_McG

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 01:38 PM

I could not agree more Matt. It's hard to get SVS up here in Canada with all the taxes, boarder charges and everything else involved, so once I realized that i turned my view's to the STF-2 and there is no turning back. I'm Very happy and not just the sub, I am impressed with HSU's customer service, that really rocks too. They are right on the ball with things and are honest people making an honest living at selling a great product for a fab price! you can't go wrong!

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Peter Marcks

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 03:11 PM

Thank you so much, Ryan, I am so glad that you are happy!

We are very fortunate to have such kind and gracious customers, and for that we are ever thankful Posted Image

Sincerely,
Peter Marcks
Hsu Research

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,333 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted June 29 2005 - 04:09 AM

hi guys

HSU makes / designs a great product.

Question: did you try / consider the Athena sub? I am wondering how they compare.

Regards

Gregg

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 29 2005 - 04:34 AM

My VTF-2 was always a great performer. In max extension config (which would be the same as a STF-2 I believe), it had plenty of output, especially for it's size. My room is quite large, so I had to upgrade from the VTF-2, but it's a great sub.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   CurtisSC

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 05:38 AM

Quote:
My VTF-2 was always a great performer. In max extension config (which would be the same as a STF-2 I believe), it had plenty of output, especially for it's size. My room is quite large, so I had to upgrade from the VTF-2, but it's a great sub.

Right John...and remember, you had an older VTF-2 with an older driver and amp. The new amp and driver added even more dynamics and ooomph.

I bought a used STF-2 as a stop gap for my Parents' HT in a 15x25x12 room in a tri-level house, uncloseable stairways to the upper and lower floors. I am amazed at what the STF-2 does in that room. Ofcourse, my Dad wants my VTF-3.
curtis
Manhattan Beach, California

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Ryan_McG

Ryan_McG

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 09:20 AM

I did compare the 2 and there was really no direct comparison. Don't get me wrong, the Athena PS-400 was not bad, it just was not as good. I heard a great quote from another poster and here it is:

"The Athena was like Beyonce and the HSU was like Aretha, Beyonce can sing, but Aretha is a whole other level!"

Love that one!

I agree to say that possibly the Athena sub may be Athena's weakest link, but there new subs may be a force to reckon with as they are bigger, stronger and now are made with BASH amp's, we will see how that pans out I guess.

Big thumbs up for HSU subs, and Athena floor standing and bookshelf speakers!