Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TV Shows You've Bought but Won't Complete

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#41 of 103 OFFLINE   Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 822 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted June 28 2005 - 01:25 AM

And three, in the case of buying shows you loved "way back when" and find out they just don't entertain you like they once did. That's a real bummer.
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#42 of 103 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 05:48 AM

Will and Grace - first three series worth watching for the one-liners, but after that shark definitely jumped. Simpsons - will buy up to series 8, after which I think the average quality dropped. Some great individual episodes after this point, but the average return on the expenditure is way too much to justify the costs. Six Feet Under - sold the series 1 set after only watching half of it. Started great, but there's only so many weeks I can watch self-absorbed people with in most cases a side-order of self-destructiveness and/or whininess (am I the only one that wanted the daughter to meet a painful death?). Red Dwarf - the last two seasons were plain awful. Shark not jumped, but series instead swallowed by shark and its festering remains cut out of shark and slopped across the screen. Jeeves and Wooster - last series not terribly good, old boy. Better to duck out at the end of series 3. Frasier - stopped after series 1. I'd heard all the jokes and seen the five basic plots enough times by then. [Sorry, I know a lot of folks' mileage differs on this one - it's just a personal opinion, okay?].

#43 of 103 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted June 28 2005 - 07:56 AM

Had to think about this one for awhile, could be a lot of typing, so here goes: Star Trek: TNG - Stopped after season 2 for now couldn't justify the $100 bucks even at release day prices. X Files - Stopped after season 5, the move to LA hurt the show. Also agree with everything else that has been said on it. Simpsons - Will stop with season 5. I know season 6 has some great episodes. But the head thing i don't like. I know i can slap em in my own box, but i don't want to. Land of the Lost - Season 3 sucks. I hated it when i was 12, bet it would be worse now. Wonder Woman - Stopped with season 1. I never bought the move to the 70s. Avengers - I got the color Emma Peel episodes. I like the B/W Peel episodes, but the color was more than enough for me. Airwolf - If they ever put out the USA Network episodes count me out...PU ! Star Trek - Of the 40 volume set i own 30. Even i couldn't bring myself to buy Spocks Brain. Dr. Who - I wont own ANY of the Sylvester McCoy episodes. Red Dwarf - I have never seen the last 2 seasons but from what i hear they are bad. To expensive to give it a shot for what you get. Moonlighting - I wont follow that show into the decline like i did in the 80s. Twilight Zone - I think i will stop with season 2. I looked at the episode list for season 3, and only found about 6 or 7 episodes i like. To expensive to buy it for them. Twilight Zone (80s) - Season 1 was good enough for me. Columbo - I am so on the fence with this. I love the show, but hate that Universal is gonna do another flipper set and change the package on it for the 3rd time. MASH - Season 3 was the cut off for me. As a kid i never missed it. The first 3 seasons are still golden, but after that it became a stage based sanitized Hollywood drama, with Alan Alda politics. I own so much TV on DVD i have to find a place to stop or i would own more than i could watch.

#44 of 103 OFFLINE   John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 864 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted June 28 2005 - 08:24 AM

Well, Fox has forced me to stop buying NYPD Blue. I want at least the Bobby Simone episodes.
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#45 of 103 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 10:41 AM

X-Files: I took it all the way to Season 7. There's no way in hell I would plop down cash for those last two seasons. Dynasty: I plan to take it to the end of Season 5. It nose dives after that. Magnum P.I.: I'll buy to the end of Season six. 7 was mediocre, with only a few standout episodes. 8 just plain blew. -Lyle J.P.

#46 of 103 OFFLINE   Juan Books

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 01:42 PM

Dawson's Creek - I liked the show when I was younger, and would love to see it again, yet Sony has disrespected fans to such an obscene degree with all the cutting and alterations, that I won't buy the sets I'm missing, and will probably sell the ones I had bought.

#47 of 103 OFFLINE   Nathan Phillips

Nathan Phillips

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted June 28 2005 - 02:31 PM

People say that the show dropped in quality after that, but in fact the episodes leading up to and immediately after the twist were among the best in the show's run. The fourth season is quite odd at times but still very good. I don't think the show really lost it until Glenn Gordon Caron's departure, and there are still a couple of good ones in the final season, the last episode in particular.

#48 of 103 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 03:37 AM

In Living Color, most of my memories were the Songs and those seem to have been one of the biggest casulties. Well Never say Never but the rest are ones I have started and mostly haven't finished due to just not being able to afford it and them not also being High Priority (my buying won't affect them). For example MST3K is high priority to me and I try to buy each release asap. Simpsons Stargate SG1 Sopranos Star Trek (All of them) *struggling to think of one not beginning with S* Oh, Farscape.

#49 of 103 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 04:16 AM

I'm not sure if this falls under the first part of your response, but I'd like to add a 3rd reason. The reason I won't buy any more seasons of "Rocky and Bullwinkle", "The Monkees" and "SCTV" is because I remember loving these as a kid, but now that I watch them again, they just don't "do it" for me anymore in the laughter/entertainment dept. Having the first season (of each) is great for the "Nostalgia" factor, but that's enough for me, I don't need (or want) any more.

#50 of 103 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted June 29 2005 - 01:09 PM

Simpsons- an example of a show that's gone on way too long. I have also gotten tired watching it.

Airwolf- Will only pick up the seasons with Jan-Michael Vincent and Ernest Borgnine. No way in hell will I pick up the crappy final season with an entirely new cast....that abomination should be burned.Posted Image
Recently watched- Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Trek(2009), Game Of Thrones: Season 1, Vault Of Horror, Tales From The Crypt(1972), Paranormal Activity 3, The Purge: Anarchy, Speed, Oldboy(2013), Fright Night 3D(2011), Cosmopolis, Supernatural: Season 3, The Darkest Hour 3D, Scanners, Dracula Untold, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Star Trek: Season 2, Band Of Brothers, Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season 1, Game Of Thrones: Season 2

"Since my customary farewell would appear oddly self-serving, I shall simply say...Good luck."

#51 of 103 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,190 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 30 2005 - 10:26 AM

24 bought the first season for $20 about a year and half ago because I'd heard good things about it and the price was right. I thought I'd want to check it out, but I have no desire to watch it. If I ever do watch it, maybe I well get the other seasons, but it really doesn't seem likey at this poiint and time.

#52 of 103 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 11:30 AM

I just returned Homicide season seven to Amazon because I realized that there wasn't a single episode from that season that I cared about seeing again.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#53 of 103 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,295 posts

Posted June 30 2005 - 11:51 PM

Yeah I ordered Season 7 as well, I'm a Homicide Geek and I Did'nt even watch alot of Season 7 when it was on, I hated what they did to Bayliss's character and I did'nt like any of the new characters and I detested Falsone. I figure I'll try to watch the season.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#54 of 103 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 02:28 AM

MOONLIGHTING is one show I couldn't wait to get on DVD. I got it right when it came out. BUT, to be honest, it doesn't hold up too well. I don't know about future seasons. And as for THE SIMPSONS, I know it is hip to say it declines in quality after the early ones, but isn't anyone watching it? This past season has been one of its best. For me, those early seasons are very difficult to watch today, because of the crude animation and characters not fully developed. But in the later seasons, it hit its stride and continued.

#55 of 103 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 04:29 AM

9 Reasons NOT to watch season 7: 1. No Pembleton 2. Bayliss' pointless "explorations". 3. No Pembleton 4. Falsone and Ballard's pointless affair 5. No Pembleton 6. Munch and Gharty's pointless rivalry 7. No Pembleton 8. New characters are just pointless 9. No Pembleton
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#56 of 103 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted July 01 2005 - 08:09 AM

Lost In Space - I bought Season 1 many, many months ago and still have not made it all the way through. 1 and out for me...

The Munsters - I made it through Season 1, but I doubt I'll buy any more. Maybe I've seen one too many syndicated reruns on WPIX...

Bewitched - I started watching the Season 1 black & white set the other night, but so far, I am underwhelmed. I know this is an older show, but overall the presentation quality is really lacking and very inconsistent, IMO.

The Greatest American Hero - I enjoyed the (admittedly short) first season and picked up Season 2. I made it through about 5 episodes and have yet to complete the rest.
Gary

#57 of 103 OFFLINE   Robyn

Robyn

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 09:59 AM

What's Happening = Isn't as funny as I remembered it. Sanford and Son South Park = Up until the kids enter the 4th grade Different Strokes = I'll collect until Arnold hits puberty. All in the Family = Once Gloria and Mike moved to California, it was over for me. Good Times = I didn't care for the last 2 Seasons I Love Lucy
Jessica Marbles: I smell gas!
Miss Withers: I can't help it, I'm old.
Jessica Marbles: No, not that kind of gas. The kind that kills!
Miss Withers: Well, sometimes my gas...
Murder By Death (1976)

#58 of 103 OFFLINE   John*Wells

John*Wells

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 10:31 AM

I bought Dallas Season 1 & 2 But I dunno if I will finish it

#59 of 103 OFFLINE   Steve Meil

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts
  • LocationAurora, CO

Posted July 04 2005 - 07:59 AM

This is a good one!!! 1. Silk Stalkings- Bought season 1 and only seen about 8 episodes- did not hold up 2.Lost in space season 1- Not the show I remebered still have over half the episodes to watch 3.A- Team- Barely got through season 1. I can't believe this was once one of my favorite shows 4. The X-Files Have season 1-7 I will not buy 8-9 at those inflated prices. I am hoping the 4th mytholgy set will have the key episodes for 8 + 9 including the final 5. Star Trek" Enterprise, I finally had to say no after owing ST TNG, DS9 and Voyager- Only the last season was decent but will now pay those inflated prises. 6. Star Trek The Original Series. I orginally bought 40 episodes when they first came to DVD (I have the rest on tape) I can't see spending any more money on this dinosaur 7. Mary Tyler Moore- I bought the 4 episode best of. I didn't even laugh. 8. The Outer limits (original Series) I bought season 1- Did evey episode have to have a lizzard looking monster in in? update 01/12/07 I did finally buy X files seaon 8+ 9

#60 of 103 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted September 11 2005 - 07:02 PM

Old thread, I know. But, interested in the topic and I do have a few things to contribute. The Simpsons: I like the show, but I just bought my two very favorite seasons. I just would never view the show enough to warrant owning so many seasons. Tales from the Crypt: Will only buy Season 2 for an episode I still love. Overall though, the show isn't what I remembered. Season 1 was ok. Not as vicious or spooky as I remembered. Though I guess 16 years does that. I also didn't remember the Santa episode having intentional comedy in it. I remembered it as being straight frightening horror all the way through which it is not. Once again, something 16 years will do. Sanford and Son: I have to agree. Something went wrong. I used to like it (even 10 years ago) and now it's a chore. A-Team: Sold Season 1. Didn't hold up for me. Ren & Stimpy: Didn't hold up for me at all. I couldn't make it through the majority. I enjoyed this show very much when it originally aired. Married with Children: I am out after Season 5. I actually was one of the beginners. Saw Season 1 & 2 as they originally aired (still a kid) before the big hype started with Season 3. Anything after Peggy's Pregnacy I just didn't like at all. Same for when they originally aired as well. The majority of my family stopped viewing the show during Season 6. I think I may have seen every single episode. But, after Season 5, it was all downhill for me. Roseanne: Will stop at Season 6. Season 6 was even shaky, but it has a few episodes I really like. Charmed: Will stop at Season 4 (I didnt like the direction it went in after and never followed it past Season 5). Though I may Netflix them one day just to see. Funny thing with this show. I think I made fun of it when it started, but then ended up liking it. I haven't really made that mistake since. I will at least try something out first. C.S.I: I just can't get into this show. Why? beats me. The Munsters: It's not that I don't like the show anymore. It's just that I only have the interest to view an episode every now and again. Not something I can view more than one or two episodes of. Seinfeld: Same as above. Bought the first set off impulse. Alias: Seasons 1 and 2 were very good. I actually wouldn't have minded for the show to be ended at that point altogether. Season 3 had it's moments, but bla. Season 4 was well just not good at all for the most part. I wont be buying Season 4. This is just a sample. There are many more.