What's new

Murphy Brown S2? (1 Viewer)

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I've been loving Murphy Brown S1, since the DVD released about a week after the Nick @ Nite premiere was a perfect opportunity to purchase it. With the show now relegated to being on at 3:00 AM, though, it's hard to watch it most of the time (I still see the occasional episode, though). Does anyone know how well S1 has done in terms of sales, and if S2 is likely to be out within the next year or so?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
At the last chat, Warners said there were currently no plans for S2 of Murphy Brown. Doesn't mean that it won't eventually happen though.

Steve

MichaelColvin

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see the following seasons for this series. We need to get this show out there more - it was both smart and funny.

It'd be a great format to be reformatted upon for modern day.

I know that I would buy the next season.

cheers, Michael

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think with the "lower selling shows", I don't see why not just adhere to a "one season a year" policy, that way everyone wins

Mike*SC

Second Unit

How does the studio win in this scenario? Just that their loss is spread over more time?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

studios rerelease ultimate editions of flop movies all the time (who wants to bet we'll see the three-disc directors cut of Catwoman in a collectors tin this summer?) but yet they avoid unchartered tv show territories. I think once the first season sells a certain amount, then it's a sign for the company to know what to do and what not to do next season.

With Murphy Brown, Warner could decide to make it bare-bones and maybe press less copies so there won't be as much surplus. If Fox found a way around the flop of Mary Tyler Moore, Warner should do the same for Murphy Brown, Night Court and other shows... shows that DIDN'T FLOP (I know too many people who own these sets), just that they aren't as big and profitable as Friends (::yawn::), Fresh Prince (::yawn::) and Full House (::yawn::), three shows that are overplayed to death.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Therein lies the problem. Key word in that sentence, SMART. Therefore you are losing a large part of the buying public. Intelligent shows do not really appeal to the masses.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, you must remember that Murphy was a huge hit in it's original run, and it was so hot at one point that it actually sparked a political debate, so the audiences did embrace it, I think Warner should seriously consider at least going up to the end of season 4 where Murphy gave birth before abandoning it

James Reader

Screenwriter
I think the combination of lower than expected sales plus the cost of music clearence have sunk this for now.

Remember music clearence issues, and how you all complained about Universal (while somehow failing to point the finger at Sony who are just as bad with their Tour of Duty and Dawson's Creek releases).

I think Murphy Brown shows that the finance and business model are different when releasing TV on DVD. There's lots of reasons for this:

1) They are ongoing releases. With a film you can't really see how well the disc will sell before it is released. With TV on DVD you can. As the 1st season is generally the highest selling, if that doesn't reach sales expectations, their ain't much point in releasing the rest (unless you change the business model by dropping the extras such as King of the Hill did).

2) Movie Re-Releases. Well, these too are much less risky than continuing an underperforming TV show release. Mainly because all the clearences have already been negotiated and perhaps even paid - the cost of publishing a new DVD is smaller than releasing it's initial release, but can potentially have huge returns. This is why we'll never see an end to "double-dips"

3) Publicity. It's easy to get publicity for a new film release - especially one that did fair to exceptional business at the box office. Magazines, newspapers and tv/radio will often promote the release themselves via news and reviews. The announcement of the DVD release of the latest Harry Potter makes the mainstream section of a newspaper. The annoucement of Murphy Brown S2, M*A*S*H S9 or The Brady Bunch S4 generates no space. In addition, in the scramble for customers, the big stores often advertise their prices for the biggest new releases each week. These sometimes include TV shows, but unless the 'franchise' is exceptional like The Simpsons, they rarely include post season 1 sets. Thus the studios have to rely on their own advertising to let the public know the title is available, and this often results in a number of the potential buyers of a title unaware it is available to purchase.

TV on DVD is a harder sell than feature films, even though, ironically, it often offers better value for money. I'd love to see more Murphy Brown, but I can't see it happening anytime soon. Warners' have "no plans" for a reason. :frowning:

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
"Murphy Brown" was a major critical and commercial hit during the early years of its run on CBS, but the series never came close to duplicating that success in ancillaries. Few major sitcoms have performed as disappointingly as "Murphy" did in syndication---many broadcast stations paid top dollar for the series, only to see it tank in the ratings.

Other smart and funny sitcoms such as "MASH" and "Seinfeld" achieved great success in both syndication and on DVD---so I don't think that being smart and funny explains why "Murphy" has consistently underperformed since its run on CBS. What made "Murphy" a tough sell is that the series relied heavily on references to then-current events that may not be familiar to latter-day viewers.

The first season set apparently sold poorly; I bought the set last June at a store in NYC that was selling it for $11.99---just a few months after the set had been released by Warner. I wouldn't hold my breath for the second season.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
The first season was great -- I'd forgotten how good this show was until the DVD Season I release. As far as bare-bones, this realease was about as cheap as they go -- layered discs, they suck.

Still, I'd love to see more Murphy Brown -- a forgotten classic.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It seems to be a trend that DVD's that appeal to older audiences simply do not sell as well as the ones aimed at younger consumers. Perhaps if Murphy and the gang had run around naked on an island and shot at each other then younger buyers would be more interested. Older consumers need to be more aware that their favorite shows are on DVD so the sales will pick up.

Also, with regard to Murphy the show has rarely been seen in reruns lately so it's current profile is quite low. Plus, it seems as though all of the music was included in the 1st season release. That had to have cost a lot. That added in with supposedly low sales may be what have sunk further releases. So I suppose this could be another great show dead in the water.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Or if all of the characters dropped 50 IQ points each and just spent their time worrying about getting drunk and getting laid. Then you'd have the "MTV generation" lining up for it.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I've wondered if this may have a chance of coming out around the time of the mid-term Congressional elections later this year. Just a theory.

RandyAW

Grip
I honestly love Murphy. They can scrap the music for all I care. What opening/closing song is used means absolutely nothing to me.
The show was well written, smart and funny. I hope we do see more of Murphy.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I am almost 24 and found this show funny when it origally aired so i pre-ordered. I went through the show quickily on dvd and loved it still probably understand more the jokes now. I think part of the problem is that it is a smart show and unfortunily the majority of the public is not smart.

I want the music kept in tact, I think Warner has the best record compared to the other studios in this matter.
Its funny that Full House is getting such a quick release, I only ordered the 1st for the bonus disk with Growing Pains and Step by Step epsiodes.

I say nothing is impossible and Murphy Brown S2 and beyond will come

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

what really irks me is that Warner gives preferential treatment to the sitcoms like Friends, Full House and Fresh Prince that have been overplayed to the point of sickness, but yet Warner can't even do a "one season a year instead of two" type of deal with Murphy, a show that airs on N@N, but is not played to death like Fresh Prince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks