What's new

Speakers for Pioneer 1014(5) (1 Viewer)

donLK

Auditioning
I'm an audio newb and would like some recommendations on speakers to pair up with a Pio 1014(5) I plan on buying. I have about $500 to spend on speakers and due to my limited budget will probably just get a left and right speaker and a Dayton 10. Is the Infinity 250 the best choice for budget speakers? I read good things about Swan speakers but the only ones I could afford are the 2.1's and I'm not keen on using bookshelf speakers for mains.

Don

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
There are alot of speakers in that price range - you need to just go out and listen and find what you like. I wasn't happy with the Infinity, Polk, JBL or Klipsch at around the same price range you are at - but that's my preference - many others are very happy with one or more of those. Also, I wouldn't get hung up on the bookshelf vs floorstanding. Taking the Primus 250 as an example, they are spec'd down to 49 hz. The Boston Acoustic CR-75 bookshelves that I have are spec'd to 52 hz - not much difference - and the slightly bigger CR-85 is spec'd to 48 hz. In my opinion, many of the lower cost floorstanding speakers are simply bookshelves with built-in stands - they don't really have the drivers to be full-range. With a sub that will blend well with good bookshelves, I don't see any advantage to floorstanders in this price range. If you are willing to consider bookshelves, I would also look at the Rockets & Ascends.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
Don't ingnore used speakers. If he cabinets are decent and you can listen to them, and all drivers work, they are as good as new. This would allow you to cut the speaker purchase price in half or better.

There are Definitive Technology, Mirage, Paradigm, current models for sale used. Or, vintage speakers, especially from Polk (like the model 7's and 10's) or Infinity (RSIII, RS6, Kappa, etc.) will beat the pants off any of the $550 systems you mentioned. They will output stonger and better bass than the Dayton 10 for a lot less money. The Pioneer allows you to select "no sub."

Go for the 6.1 or 7.1 setup right away and buy a subwoofer (good one) when a used one shows up.;)

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
I have to respecfully disagree with the recommendation to immediately go to 6.1 or 7.1. Given the very few DVDs that use anything more than 5.1, I would rather have a better 5.1 system. But - there is some missing information, like how big the room is, and what mix of music & movies you plan to use. If you were looking to purchase just a good music system now with the plan to eventually build it into a home theater, then I would spend all the current budget on the 2 mains and maybe a sub. On the other hand, if movies are the primary goal from the start, then I would try to squeeze a 5.1 system into the budget to get the surround and LFE effects.

I do agree that buying used can stretch your budget - I have had good luck buying used from individuals - probably because in general folks who buy nice audio gear tend to also take care of it and enjoy upgrading as often as possible! ;) Finding a good used sub has proven a bit more difficult for me (I'm still looking) - it seems like the new subs have better amps and better specs at lower prices than the models they are replacing, and the good modern subs sell used for prices a little too close to new for me. B-stock and refurbs are another way to find good deals.

donLK

Auditioning
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm against buying used mainly because of the time I would have to invest into finding a good deal. I am not an audio phile by any stretch of the imagination but I do appreciate what a good sounding system brings to a home.

I thought it over the weekend and I think I'm leaning towards just buying a cheap 5.1 speaker set like the Onkyo SKS-HT240 so that I can start using something right away. Are there any better sets like these that are floor standing, can handle the output of the Pioneer 1015 and within around $500.00?

SummyD

Stunt Coordinator
Since you are considering the Onkyo speaker set, you may also want to consider the Point-5 set from Athena. This seems like a closeout deal - onecall.com/PID_21573.htm . Unfortunately, I haven't audtioned this but its from a company known for making speakers (as opposed to Onkyo) and has good reviews. $199 for 5 speakers is mouth watering! :D Add the Dayton sub and you are all set for way under $500. Actually, you could even throw in stands/mounts and still be under budget.

PS - Prefix "ww1." to the URL. Being a new member I couldn't post one.

John S

Senior HTF Member
SummyD, I agree that would be an excellent match to that Pioneer. He would absolutely need to get a sub with those...

Bright efficient speakers make the Pioneer 1014 sing...

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Don: for about $300-$400 you can buy a pair of these floorstanders. They are not--repeat NOT--built like the other speakers from this company that can turn off some people. And according to a member over at AudioAsylum who owns the largest model, they were designed by an engineer who used to work for NHT and Revel. Same member says the soft-dome tweeter is made by Vifa (a high quality European manufacturer). I am very sure their price is so low only because they are quite large to many people & their styling is rather controversial and pretty industrial looking. The 12" version is a whole $15 more.

They can take pretty much all the power from your Pioneer without toasting themselves. IMO that powerful receiver deserves some speakers that can be turned up to high levels without distorting. And while they can't reproduce subsonic (i.e. "rumbly") bass that a true subwoofer can, I think they have enough bass to hold you over until you can buy a separate sub. This way you could buy a pair of rear surrounds from CV that complement the front mains--now you can hear all the surround effects from the 1014's sophisticated DSP processors. :emoji_thumbsup: And the matching, and LARGE, center channel is only $110 right now from J&R.

I don't work for CV or even own their speakers--I'm just old :) and think large speakers like this sound better than most current "hi-tech" tiny speakers with 4" drivers.

Also: I think the Athena F2s would be a good match too.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Lance, I have no rebuttle.. All I can say is if he has a wife, I'll bet those are a big time no go. :)

I would not pair those with this particular AVR. It just doesn't have enough b**** for them in my experiences with it.

With floor standers on the cheap.. Maybe find the best deal you can get on these newer AR Towers...

ACOUSTIC RESEARCH ARVP600 VP

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3986020

David Brass

Agent
Right now Audio Advisor is having a closeout deal on Athena AS-B1s at $100/pr and the center channel is on sale as well.

I have the Athena AS-F1s as fronts, the B1-s as rears and the C1 for a center. I just picked up another pair of the B1s to go 7.1 as I just got the Pioneer 1015 although I have no idea where I'm going to put them. The price was just too good to pass up.

I love the Athenas for the price and you could do your whole surround system (minus sub, of course) for about $300 and wouldn't be disappointed. (Caveat: Don't even consider the Athena sub. It's awful.)

I would buy what I have again for the price I paid for it then.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Once again I agree. I think Athena lines are a particularly good match for a 1014. Slightly forward / bright....

donLK

Auditioning
The Athena's was a choice I was taking a serious look considering my budget and the recent/past deals on the f1's. I'll go visit a local Best Buy later tonight to see if they still have any left. I just saw the deal on audio advisor for the rear and center speakers and they look perfect. Are there any places having a sale on Athena F1's that I could take a look at?

David Brass

Agent
Last I was in BestBuy they did not have the AS-B1s. They had the new line but they were rather pricey.

They are on sale at AudioAdvisor.com while supplies last.

I do not find the Athenas particularly forward or bright. In fact I have always wished they were slightly more so. However, for movies they are beautiful when matched with the Pioneer 1015. Very clear and clean with nice midrange impact.

Your mileage may vary.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Really? A receiver generating (if I remember correctly) 110 watts with all channels driven? Even if it was "only" say 60 watts X 7 I would still recommend these speakers.....unless Don has a very large listening room.

You must listen at exceptionally loud levels John! :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep... I tried a Pioneer 1014, and sent it back. Near reference levels, I thought it was going to blow a speaker it sounded so strained.

If you want to hit true reference levels with that AVR, efficient forward speakers will be the ticket. :)

donLK

Auditioning
I went to the local best buy and they had the bookshelfs and center piece on sale for $79.00. I got the center piece and shelfs but unfortunately they were out of the f1's except for the floor models which looked to be in bad shape.

I did some searching online for some used towers and found a guy whos selling a sony receiver and the towers for $125.00. I'm not interested in the receiver but will probably go visit him to check out the towers. Is there anything I should pay attention to when testing used equipment? I had been planning on just playing a DVD and turning up the volume on each speaker individually to hear for any distortion. Is that about all you can do?

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
donLK,

Are the used towers Athenas? You want your speakers to match the B1's and C1.

If not, go back and re-check the Best Buy AS-F1's. If its bad cabinet or speaker damage don't get them. If its just the grille, that can be replaced. I purchased open box AS-F1 towers for less than $100/pr out the door using this coupon. One speaker had a small tear in the grill but its not noticeable after I played with it a little. I had to order the speaker spikes to get the towers directly off the floor but it only cost $12. Athena pointed me to Best Buys site where I could order any missing parts.

If the used speakers are Athenas the warranty may be transeferrable. Athenas have a 5 year warranty and it couldn't have expired yet. Good luck.

donLK

Auditioning
Due to the clearance on Athena speakers at Best Buy and at Audio Advisor, I was able to buy all 5 speakers and a Dayton 10" for just under $475.00. I put in an order with Etronics for the Pioneer 1015 the other day for about $410.00 to put my total budget at under $900.00 for the home theater system.

I'd like to thank everyone's help and suggestions in helping this audio newb. You guys have been great.

David Brass

Agent
That's the great thing about this forum. When it came time to buy a new TV, I consulted the display forum and got many helpful suggestions. I'm sure I made the right choice for me because of them.

I have been very happy with my Pioneer/Athena combination and I hope you will be too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks