-

Photo
- - - - -

A rant and some random questions about in-mouth canker sores.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 23 2005 - 09:50 PM

I've got one doozy of a canker sore right now located at the most inconveniant spot just inside my lower lip where everything that I eat or drink makes direct contact with it. Posted Image

I don't get them as often as I used to, but when I do get one they freakin hurt like hell! I usually dab it directly with Peroxide with a q-tip to keep it clean until it heals, or squeeze it between my fingers until blood seeps to the surface relieving the pressure in it and bringing relief. Healing takes anywhere between a few days to a couple of weeks in the most stubborn cases, this one's been with me since last week and it's about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

What causes these things? Why do they feel cold when you eat something hot, body heat escaping through it I suppose? And what exactly is it, an exposed nerve? It certaintly feels like that, sometimes it hurts so bad that it feels as if I have a toothache even though I don't, because that whole area of my face aches.

I hate them, we need a cure pronto! Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#2 of 8 Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 12:43 AM

I get them all the time when I accidently bite the inside of my mouth. The best part is that they take a few days to form so I get to anticipate the impending agony. I've never found a way to get rid of them quickly and the over the counter meds don't seem to be of much use.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#3 of 8 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 12:59 AM

I asked my dentist about them and she said that there's not much you can do except wait for it to go away.

#4 of 8 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,529 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 02:56 AM

I always rinse my mouth with salt water when I get one (not that often, thank God). Seems to help it heal faster.

#5 of 8 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 04:21 AM

I go one step further and directly apply salt crystals on the sore.......hope you have a high tolerance for pain though.Posted Image Once the pain from the salt goes, I find that the sore feels much better.
Recently watched- The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"Look, Mommy! Dinosaurs!"

#6 of 8 ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 04:29 AM

As a person who gets these quite often here's a few tips.

There is nothing you can do to make them heal any faster. They usually last 7 days.

Try rinsing your mouth a few times a day with Listerine. It has an antiseptic to clean and also will numb it for about 15 minutes. Also "Kanka", while messy, helps with pain relief.

I find that I get them if I eat a lot of real salty things, like chips, ham, pickles, etc...
I am stressed alot and I think that the extra acid build up my system creates, makes me more apt to get them. If I bite my check or lip, it always turns into one.

#7 of 8 Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 04:33 AM

I've posted this before and it really does help.

Biotene mouthwash. Use it a couple times a day and especially before you go to bed. It really does help. It's one of the few mouthwashes that does not burn...no alcohol.

I used to get MULTIPLE canker sores, 4-5 at a time and the Biotene helped.

#8 of 8 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted June 24 2005 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Posted Image

Joseph, no way am I trying that! Posted Image I am not Rambo. Posted Image

Today I went into the bathroom at work and squeezed the living daylights out of it until it bled and I felt world's better afterwards, it's kinda flaired up again now, though. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan