Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What non-silent films have been lost and there are no prints?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted June 23 2005 - 05:30 AM

Hello, It has been stated that many pre-1950's movies have been lost due to deterioration. This would lead me to think that some color and sound films have been lost. One example could be the original cut of "The Magnificent Ambersons", although, of couse, some footage does survive. Any other notable examples of "lost forever" post-talkie films?
Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 23 2005 - 09:14 AM

I don't have any specific titles for you, but I've read that fifty percent of all pre-1950 films, and a staggering ninety percent of all silents are now lost.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Evan Case

Evan Case

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 02:00 AM

The Rogue Song, a 1930 Technicolor operetta with an Oscar-nominated performance by Lawrence Tibbett, is now gone, though the complete soundtrack still exists. Someone found a few minutes of footage relatively recently, however.

The film, directed by Lionel Barrymore (!), is probably best known now for featuring Laurel and Hardy as comedic support (apparently, they are only glorified cameos). The found footage, iirc, is a scene of L&H asleep in a cave and meeting a bear. I remember seeing this scene on TCM once, probably during their L&H marathon.

Evan
"               " - Buster Keaton
S&S (1992 & 2002), The 1930s : Finished! S&S Club : 311 seen (Recent: Bigger Than Life)
AFI Challenge Stars: 36 left, Songs: 11 left, Passions: 2 left, Cheers: 4 left, Quotes: 2 left, Top Tens: 1 left; (Most Recent: Camille [Passions, Stars]) 

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,614 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 24 2005 - 02:59 AM

Was The Rogue Song one of those films wherein the soundtrack was on a separate record?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Evan Case

Evan Case

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 04:11 AM

I believe so. Evan
"               " - Buster Keaton
S&S (1992 & 2002), The 1930s : Finished! S&S Club : 311 seen (Recent: Bigger Than Life)
AFI Challenge Stars: 36 left, Songs: 11 left, Passions: 2 left, Cheers: 4 left, Quotes: 2 left, Top Tens: 1 left; (Most Recent: Camille [Passions, Stars]) 

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 05:23 AM

The original 134-minute master cut of Superman IV is believed gone forever as well. Once the disastrous sneak preview had been shown, Warner Bros. ordered the film to be cut, and some 42 minutes of footage was excised from the print, with the remaining footage slapped together for theatrical release (90 minutes for the U.S. version, 93 minutes for the European version). Different trailers and TV spots have used portions of the excised scenes in promoting the film, all of which are evidence that the footage was in fact shot and filmed, though the master footage has not been located. Attempts to track down the master print have turned up nothing to this point, so we must therefore conclude that the master print and the missing 42 minutes of footage are gone forever. Some may say "good riddance" to it, while others may not.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Kim Donald

Kim Donald

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted June 24 2005 - 06:28 AM

Check out this web site that lists most of the early sound films and which ones are lost
Vitaphone
kd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users