-

Photo
- - - - -

Bewitched? No, just annoyed. B&W isn't to be found!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 of 54 OFFLINE   RandallV

RandallV

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:32 AM

I've checked my local Best Buy, Borders, Target and (gasp!) Circuit City - only the IN COLOR versions were stocked. I finally found a "mom and pop" that had three Black & White copies. Anyone else encounter this problem?

#2 of 54 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:43 AM

Suggest that you order this online; Amazon has the B&W (and colorized) version for just under $28 with free shipping.

#3 of 54 OFFLINE   Brent C

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:44 AM

I was worried about this. Last Thursday, I was in a certain store who'd broken the street date and already had copies out.. but only the colorized version.

#4 of 54 OFFLINE   RandallV

RandallV

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:46 AM

Imagine their (the corporate types at these stores) surprise when these colorized sets don't "fly" off the shelves.

#5 of 54 OFFLINE   LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 08:49 AM

This morning on CNN, they spotlighted the set as one of their "new DVD releases of the week" -- and showed only the colorized version (which looked like shit, or did everybody on that show really have grey teeth?), although they did mention that the original B&W was available.

#6 of 54 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 09:28 AM

Fry's had many more B/W copies than color ones on the shelf today.

#7 of 54 OFFLINE   RandallV

RandallV

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 09:35 AM

Quote:
Fry's had many more B/W copies than color ones on the shelf today.

Fry's is a great store. Too bad they don't have one near me!

#8 of 54 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,565 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 09:54 AM

This is sad news! Of course, you can order it online (DDD is right in the middle of their 20% off sale week so you can get it very cheap from them), but the fact that so many retailers seem to be slanting things towards that colorized abomination is very troubling and discouraging.

Gary "I commend all of you here who are sticking to your guns and buying the b&w version" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#9 of 54 OFFLINE   Mike Halverson

Mike Halverson

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 10:11 AM

I had that problem here too.Not a single b&w copy to be found at the stores I went to.

#10 of 54 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,890 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 10:14 AM

Try Blockbuster!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#11 of 54 OFFLINE   Jon_Gu

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 10:15 AM

I was in Wal-Mart this afternoon. I want both versions, yes, I'd rather have the B&W version. I just want the colorized version for the sake of a 'complete' collection.

Anyway, Wal-Mart only had the colorized version out for $22.98 this afternoon and an empty space just above the colorized version that might have been a sold out B&W slot. Didn't look like the Colorized version was moving very well.

#12 of 54 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 10:18 AM

I just checked BestBuy.com and the B&W isn't available in stores. Someone on another site said that Target and CC are not carrying it either.

#13 of 54 OFFLINE   RandallV

RandallV

Second Unit

• 299 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 10:20 AM

Quote:
Try Blockbuster!

My Blockbuster charges a fortune for DVDs. I *never* consider them for a DVD purchase.

#14 of 54 ONLINE   EricSchulz

EricSchulz

Producer

• 4,481 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 11:12 AM

I've never been a fan of the show (although some of the first season eps were pretty decent) and have no intention of buying it. HOWEVER, I sure hope that because the B&W version is sorely missing from the B&M stores that it doesn't skew the sales so much that it would affect whether more seasons are released.

#15 of 54 OFFLINE   pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted June 21 2005 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
I just checked BestBuy.com and the B&W isn't available in stores. Someone on another site said that Target and CC are not carrying it either.
If you don't mind waiting a few days, try DeepDiscountDVD. I just ordered a copy of the B&W version during their 20% off sale and got it for $23.31 with free shipping.Posted Image
Gary

#16 of 54 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 11:58 AM

Just order it online. Stores are always going to make choices about what to stock, that can't be helped. But as long as alternatives are available and easily accessable especially in this day and age, I don't see the real problem.

Paul

#17 of 54 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 12:00 PM

Tower records in Chicago got in only 3 copies....2 in color....1 in black and white ( which I was able to buy)
Did Tower think this was not going to sell? Weird!
Ken

#18 of 54 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,266 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 01:59 PM

Even though I'm not a fan and wasn't planning to buy this, I checked out the selection at Sam's Club because the price was pretty good ($24.xx IIRC).

Only color. What's worse is that there is absoulutely nothing on the packaging to indicate that this was not originally in color. Fans who are not as savvy as those at HTF may be fooled into thinking this is the real deal.

My fear is that if B&M are only stocking color the sales figures will be skewed and when it comes time to release "I Dream of Jeannie" (a show I much rather would buy), the studio will only release the colorized version because color outsold B&W on Bewitched.

Call me paranoid, but remember that Warners released S1 of Kung Fu in fake widescreen because they thought they thought people preferred widescreen over full screen when it fact it is OAR that people prefer.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 54 OFFLINE   Brent C

Brent C

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 02:02 PM

I picked up a B&W version this evening at Costco for $25.89, but they only had 3 copies like that. All the others were colorized.

#20 of 54 OFFLINE   Kate*H

Kate*H

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 09:42 PM

Fred Meyer's had a couple copies of black and white, but both sets were mixed into together, I nearly bought a colorized version because I reached in back of a black and white.
I just don't get colorization.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are

Forum Nav Content I Follow