What's new

A Theory (Crackpot as it may be) (1 Viewer)

Kevin/M

Agent
Yes, We've all heard about the music clearances issued that have plaguedf quite a few DVD's (And in the Case of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Guest Clearances :rolleyes:), but i have a theory that at least a little of the the Music Industry's holding out for some titles might have been caused the ongoing Music Pirascy/P2p Issue, and the prominence of Napster and Kazaa from a few years back). I figure that the Music Industry might have wanted to idsh out a subtle punishment for the piracy of their music by choosing not to clear some titles so the DVD comapnies can release them. Call it Crackpot, call it conspiracy, call it far-fetched if you will, but it can't be ruled out completely

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but they are losing a chance to make up some money that they are losing to piracy. What would make them want to 'punish' DVD companies? Especially when some of them are owned by the same parent company.

Like you said, it can't be ruled out completely but almost nothing can be ruled out completely:)

Mike*SC

Second Unit
Can't be ruled out completely? Well, proving a negative is generally impossible. I can't rule out completely that there are invisible giraffes living in my underwear, but I can be pretty certain there aren't.

Remember, the music "industry" is in fact many labels, each run by many individuals. They do not act in unison. But they are united in one goal: they want to make money. The notion that each of these labels would act in the same mysterious way -- a way that runs counter to profit -- as an act of vengeance makes no sense at all. Further, they have never been secretive about their fight against piracy. So why would they engage in a secret (er... "subtle") act of revenge when virtually nobody would be aware of why they are doing it?

Also realize that songs can be controlled by a variety of entities. Depending on the contractual sitiuation, a composer or lyricist can put the kybosh on a clearance deal if he wants more money... or simply doesn't want to sell his song.

And finally, music rights clearance issues have been around for years and years... they predate Napster and all the other file sharing programs by decades. These issues have prevented the release of compilation LPs and CDs, VHS releases, and production on scenes in movies. Were these rights denials an act of pre-revenge for possible file sharing if ever an internet were invented? Well, you can't rule it out completely. But really, you can.

Kevin/M

Agent
Notice how i said that Music Piracy could play at least a small part in the matter. I didn't say it singlehandedly caused it (and notice how i said it was a theory, not a fact)

True, But the necessity for Clearances skyrocketed to it's current maginutde with the TV-on-DVD boom, which was overlapped with/happened almost immediately after the famous Music Piracy lawsuits. MY Theory is that the Music Labels could have seen this boom (and the studios at the door trying to get clearances) as a way to send everyone the message that Music Piracy could cause a problem .
Also, The Music Labels could've asked more more money to compensate for the money lost from Piracy and attendant lawsuits

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I thought they used lawsuits and prison time to punish music pirates. :D

Anyway, I was wondering that they may be using the same cost models for music licensing of TV shows on DVD that they use for movies; thus if one were to license "Strangers in the Night" for a movie, it would cost $20,000, while an episode of a TV series using the same song would also shell out $20,000 for the song. Ad about 20 or 30 more songs and you've got about half the allotted budget for a release going to pay for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks