Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo or Yamaha receiver ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Chase

Chase

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted June 19 2005 - 12:10 AM

I have the chance to get a Onkyo TX-SR800 ( http://www.us.onkyo.....class=Receiver ) receiver that is 2 years old for $300.00 shipped. I am a little worried about buying it because if it goes out I am pretty sure Onkyo will not fix it.

The other receiver I am looking at is a Yamaha HTR-5740
(http://www.yamaha.co...IB/HTR5740.htm# ) for $199.99 new.

I will be using this receiver for movies AND music in a semi large den area with 18ft cellings. They will be used to power 2 polk rt600 towers (http://www.polkaudio....ker=2&recent=1 ), a Polk cs400i center ( http://www.polkaudio....er=41&recent=1 ) and a pair of rt28i for the surrounds. ( http://www.polkaudio....r=178&recent=1 )

Which one should I get?
My system
----------------------
Onkyo TX-SR800 AV
Polk RT600i -front
Polk CS400i -centerPolk RT28i -surroundJBL PB 12 250watt -Sub36" Panasonic Panablack CRT

#2 of 21 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted June 19 2005 - 02:26 AM

Go for the Onkyo. If looking at the Yamaha, consider the HTR-5760/5860, and up. The HTR-5740 will be a bit under-whelming.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#3 of 21 Niti

Niti

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted June 19 2005 - 12:07 PM

agreed...imo - onkyo is the way to go (it'll give you more power than the yamaha also). they are quite reliable. have had three of them: one from the pro logic days that i am now using to power two mains in my bedroom and is 9-10 yrs old and still going. the other is a 5.1 digital/dts receiver that i sold since i got a 6.1 one about 8 months ago.

#4 of 21 Tim_

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 01:53 AM

I'm always a fan of Yamaha as they had never fail me until I try to run my 4 ohms power hungry speakers, which the Yamaha is not designed to do. In your case since you're willing to shell out $300 on a used Denon, my recommendation would be using the same $300 you could get a match or slightly better Yamaha.
Nothing beats the good old Hi-Fi in 2 channel!!
Dream Project: Should I turn my 3rd separate garage into a dedicated Home Theater room?????
**Small can be big but bigger usually is better**

#5 of 21 Chase

Chase

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted June 20 2005 - 05:33 PM

But isnt having THX select going to help the sound of movies alot on my receiver?
My system
----------------------
Onkyo TX-SR800 AV
Polk RT600i -front
Polk CS400i -centerPolk RT28i -surroundJBL PB 12 250watt -Sub36" Panasonic Panablack CRT

#6 of 21 DonnyD

DonnyD

Screenwriter

• 1,154 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 01:48 AM

THX is nothing more than a "certification" and adds nothing more than the weight of the letters to the case of a receiver. Buying something because of the THX logo can be a little misleading to what you may be getting.....IMHO.

Jackson, Tenn area is a little short on real or useful info. New Wave gets a little over the top with their info, whereas a few others around here can be lacking in info according which "salesman" you talk to. Way back when I first got into home theater, 15 years or so back, very little "good" info was available and no one was really keeping up with the technologies more than they had to to "make a sale"........I am so glad that forums like this one came along with some useful info.....
"There comes a time in the lives of men, when taken at the tide, you're liable to ****ing drown..." R. Farina
"or go broke due to upgraditis..." D. Davis

#7 of 21 Chase

Chase

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 11:51 AM

Ok besides the two listed, Best buy has a open box deal on a Yamaha HTR 5750 for 230.00 with 1 year warranty. The salesman at best buy said he hates Onkyo , But I have heard some really good reviews about this receiver and Onkyos in general so I think I am just going to spend the extra 100.00 and get the THX select receiver with no warranty.
My system
----------------------
Onkyo TX-SR800 AV
Polk RT600i -front

#8 of 21 Tim_

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted June 21 2005 - 12:12 PM

When a salesman makes that kind of comment on a product like Onkyo that really shows you how much he knows about what he is selling. Onkyo hasn't been popular in the states like Yamaha but they are premium brand in other markets. Onkyo usually are pricer then Yahama. IMO they are better then Yamaha, if you can find their high end models.
Nothing beats the good old Hi-Fi in 2 channel!!
Dream Project: Should I turn my 3rd separate garage into a dedicated Home Theater room?????
**Small can be big but bigger usually is better**

#9 of 21 Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted June 22 2005 - 06:33 AM

Do your self a favor and don't listen to a Best Buy sales person on anything, not just recievers. If you must buy something at Best Buy, do your research before you go in and don't talk to the sales person. Onkyo, I feel, is the better of the two recievers. I have owned both a Yammy and an Onkyo with simular specs and the Onkyo out performed the Yammy.

#10 of 21 Scotty P

Scotty P

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 11:55 AM

Quote:
Do your self a favor and don't listen to a Best Buy sales person on anything, not just recievers. If you must buy something at Best Buy, do your research before you go in and don't talk to the sales person.

Couldn't have said that better. Besides...Best Buy doesn't carry Onkyo.

I own an Onkyo/Integra and have set up several Yamahas for others. Both are excellent. Of the current models out now, Yamaha seems to be a little ahead (of any brand) in regards to features at a given price range.

#11 of 21 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 12:14 PM

Quote:
Couldn't have said that better.

About the only thing that I'd add is ... break out the kung fu on the sales droid when they keep forcing the extended warranty on you. Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#12 of 21 Todd Stout

Todd Stout

Screenwriter

• 1,027 posts

Posted July 01 2005 - 01:11 PM

Mark me down for a yes vote on the Onkyo. I have an Onkyo TX-DS777 that I have had since late 1999 and still love it. I am in no hurry at all to replace it but when I do I will more than likely go with another Onkyo or an Integra.

I do think that Yamaha makes very nice receivers as well though and almost bought one myself before buying an Onkyo. It may be a psychological thing but Onkyo receivers are just a bit warmer sounding to my ears than Yamahas are.

Where I think Yamaha excels is with the DSPs that they include with their receivers. The higher end models allow you to use four effects speakers placed in the corners of the room. This type of a set up makes for a really impressive soundfield for live music... if you're into that sort of thing. I liked Yamaha DSPs so much that I bought an old Yamaha DSP-1 (something I really wanted but couldn't afford when it was new) a couple of years ago on Ebay and use it with my Onkyo.

#13 of 21 Chase

Chase

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 23 2005 - 08:32 AM

I got my Onkyo TX-SR800 in a few days ago and am loving it!
The sound is very natrual on my Polk Rti speakers.
My system
----------------------
Onkyo TX-SR800 AV
Polk RT600i -front

#14 of 21 Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted July 24 2005 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Ok besides the two listed, Best buy has a open box deal on a Yamaha HTR 5750 for 230.00 with 1 year warranty. The salesman at best buy said he hates Onkyo , But I have heard some really good reviews about this receiver and Onkyos in general so I think I am just going to spend the extra 100.00 and get the THX select receiver with no warranty.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either model since both companies are quite respected in most forums. The other part that might be a consideration is weight, the Onkyo, if their website is accurate is a bruiser at 36.6 lbs which indicates a robust power supply and claims of wattage in 8, 6, and 4 ohms indicates that they expect their claims to be challenged (we're a whinny bundh at these forums and if the claims are very far off, there will be a lot of posts associated with it). I've owned and setup both brands but not these two particular models, but when in doubt get the heavier avr if you don't know how each sound.

#15 of 21 Leon Liew

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator

• 234 posts

Posted August 09 2005 - 06:17 PM

My sentiments are with Todd Stout on Onkyo AV receivers.
They are a bit warmer sounding than the Yamaha AV receivers
which I feel sounds a little on the bright side.My Onkyo
TX-DS676 is 6 years old and still going strong.

#16 of 21 Leroy

Leroy

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 02:39 AM

Well,

I tried out a Yamaha HTR-5860 and an Onkyo LR552 (digital reciever) to replace my ailing HK AVR300.

Picked up the Yamaha last week and found it a decent replacement for my HK, but still felt it was lacking (couldn't quite put my finger on it).

Brought home the Onkyo TX-LR552 digitla reciever (found it for a ridiculous price of $149, new at Fry's) yesterday. I went in to pick up some DVD-R's and wandered over the A/V dept. Saw this reciver a couple of weeks ago at a much higher price.

All I have to say, on my initial impression, is WOW!! The Onkyo sounds much better and then both my older HK and the new Yamaha. It's paired with a set of new Athena Micra6 sats/sub. Soundstage sounds much more expansive and things just seem to come through with more clarity. I know opinions on digital recievers are all over the place, but I think I found my replacement. Although it was a lot of work switching speakers between the 3, I tested them all with scenes from The Two Towers, Hellboy, Castaway and AOTC. The Onkyo just plain sounds better than the others.

I'll be taking the Yamaha back and giving the Onkyo a good workout. But it sounds like a keeper for me.
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.

#17 of 21 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted August 10 2005 - 03:33 AM

You do realize for just a little more, you can get a Yamaha 5890 new.... I mean, these rock with near flagship type performance.

#18 of 21 rob-h

rob-h

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 01:28 AM

I have the 5890 in my theater and a onkyo in my bedroom (use to be in theater.) I prefer the onkyo but it's only 6.1.

#19 of 21 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 02:37 AM

You prefer the overall sound? Power output? Come on give us some specifics here please.

I have recently switched to the 5890 almost exclusively for my installations, when I get to decide on the equipment anyways.

About the only thing I have to say great about the 5890 is it seems to support reference level type volumes better than a Pioneer 1015/1014. It's Pre/Pro section and video handling is real strong as well.

But I am real curious as to what you like about your Onkyo and it's model number over the 5890.

#20 of 21 rob-h

rob-h

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted August 11 2005 - 02:54 AM

Its the tonality of the sound. It lacks the brightness of the yamaha on my speakers (axiom). Using the THX cinema mode does remove this but seems to emphasize the bass in some voices to make them unnatural.

Forum Nav Content I Follow