Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade Time?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Shane Acker

Shane Acker

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 04:41 PM

Well my Kenwood VR-4090 is in the shop for some repairs and I don't know if I'm just jonesing for something other than the tinny sound from the tv speakers or if I'm really serious about upgrading the receiver to 7.1. I've been thinking lately about a Denon, Yamaha or Pioneer in the $1000 to $1200 range. I have an all Energy setup as follows

Mains E:xl 25
Center E:xl C-2
Rears E:xl 15
Sub E:xl S-10

I think the exposed tweeters on the E:xl speakers tend toward bright (which I like personally) but I don't want to go overbright with a new receiver. I would probably complete the 7.1 setup with a pair of Energy E:xl R speakers just so everything matches.

I would probably upgrade in the next 2 months or so.

Thanks for any help.
Shane Acker

My Home Theater EquipmentList

---------------------------------------Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   MikeDuke

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted June 17 2005 - 03:47 AM

I had an older Denon, the 3300, for a number of years and liked it very much. Not bright at all. A freind of mine has a 3805 and that sounds good to me also. Again not bright to me. I can not comment on the new Yamaha or Pioneer.
I know what I like when I hear it

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted June 17 2005 - 07:30 AM

I own a yamaha rxv-1400. It isnt bright at all either. I have hooked up at one time or another, infinity, boston, sony and dunlavy's to it. They all, well maybe not the sony's, sounded great.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 17 2005 - 08:43 AM

At that price point, I don't think you have to worry about any of those manufacturers. I'd also add Harman Kardon, Marantz and Onkyo to your list though.

The E:xls are bright to my ears, which is why I recommend some of these smoother sounding receivers.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted June 18 2005 - 03:34 AM

HK 635 would be good choice. I have heard HK635 with Klipsch which are considered bright speakers and they sounded amazing with the HK 635. For the price(online), it's well worth the money.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Arthur S

Arthur S

Screenwriter

• 2,572 posts

Posted June 18 2005 - 04:52 AM

Shane

On the other hand with HD-DVD and the newest versions of Dolby Digital and DTS apparently coming with HD-DVD, why not hold off a while since you are already committed to getting the Kenwood fixed.

The upgrade for now could be the additional Energy speakers while something that is a close match is available. Yes, you will be a bit frustrated having the speakers and not being able to use them, but if you put out $1,200 bucks now and then DTS Plus or DD Plus is viable in a year you might be frustrated then.

With a couple of new sound formats clearly on the horizon, this might not be the best time to put out $1,200 on a new receiver.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Shane Acker

Shane Acker

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted June 18 2005 - 11:46 AM

Thats true. I pulled the trigger on the Kenwood a little too soon then DD-EX and DTS-ES came out a couple months later I felt a little burned for not doing better research.

Anybody have any links to info on the new formats?
Shane Acker

My Home Theater EquipmentList

---------------------------------------Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted June 18 2005 - 11:53 AM

To be honest with you shane. Its always gonna be that way. Lol. But I do agree. I may want to do research on if HD-DVD and Blu-ray are coming really soon, or 5years soon. Posted Image