-

Photo
- - - - -

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 09:25 AM

What do you guys think about them? I went to the one near me recently (Beverly Hills location) and I thought it was quite good.

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

• 1,352 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 09:49 AM

I've never been to one. But they are building one in my city soon, so as soon as it opens I'll be able to tell you. Posted Image

#3 of 51 OFFLINE   Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 10:45 AM

Their good but I like Morton's better. I had an amazing cajun steak at mortons. hmmmm.....steak
I reject your reality and substitute my own. - Adam Savage

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   Chazz_S

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 10:54 AM

There's a Morton's here in Burbank, but never got around to trying it- gotta make a trip soon.

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper

Lead Actor

• 6,504 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 11:06 AM

The Arnie Morton's in Beverly Hills (near the Beverly Center) is better than the Burbank one (IMHO).

By the way, I think it's important to be clear we're actually talking about "ARNIE MORTONS" chain of Steakhouses. There is actually a famous LA Restaurant called MORTONS on Melrose (Old school celebrity hang-out and legendary post oscar location).

One of my pet peeves is people in LA calling Arnie Mortons "Mortons" when there is already an established restaurant by that name.

And yes, Arnie is significantly better than Ruth's Chris, IMHO. Although I have only had Ruth's a couple times, I think I'm turned off by any "fine dining establishment" that offers shoestring french fries, lol.

-V
Need an introduction to home theater? Check out our FAQ and Primer!!

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:03 PM

Ruth's Chris is predictable fine dining, which is the key to franchise success.... But the predictability is also their downfall when compared with smaller local cuisine.

While I prefer Ruth's over Morton's "of Chicago", it doesn't compare with some of our local purveyor's of fine bovine.

If you've never been to Ruth's, you definitely have to try it. If you keep the side dishes to a minimum and don't drink booze/wine, it can be "reasonable".

Enjoy !

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg Morse

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:39 PM

Quote:
I had an amazing cajun steak at mortons

The Cajun ribeye is the best...steak...ever. With the grilled asparagus for the side. Oh man, thank God for expense accounts.

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 01:54 PM

Quote:
I think I'm turned off by any "fine dining establishment" that offers shoestring french fries, lol.
You can say that again. I've eaten at Morton's once and that was once too many. I'd never step foot in Ruth's Chris or whatever they call it.

When I go out planning spending the kind of money that these chains want for a dinner, I'll be damned if I'll go to a big corporate chain.

Find a good local restaurant with a real chef instead of some mailed in recipie and resist the "McDonaldization" of expensive food.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
I like Morton's better.

My brother was visiting me so I took him to the Morton's in Crystal City, VA. We had a horrible time. We both ordered the same thing, NY Strip medium rare. He had to return it TWICE because it was near raw. Incidents like that tend to stick in one's mind. As we walked back to my car, he noticed a Ruth's Chris and commented "we should have gone there."

Next time he is in the area, I'll take him to Capital Grille and give it a try.

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   DaveHo

DaveHo

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 02:08 PM

Too much $$$ for a piece of cow that I can grill better @ home. Unless you have money to burn, I don't see the attraction.

#11 of 51 OFFLINE   Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,502 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 15 2005 - 02:58 PM

I like Ruth's Chris, but also prefer Arnie Morton's. My favorite steak house is PRIME in the Bellagio in Vegas.

I also like to buy prime steak and cook at home, but it's not a LOT cheaper (prime steak is darned expensive), and I have to clean up...

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 03:54 PM

I liked Ruth Chris'. Granted, it's nowhere near as good as Delmonico's in Vegas, but it's still good.

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 06:07 PM

I'll chime in with good steak, but way too much $$$. I felt kind of uncomfortable with the "fine dining" but then, I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal.

If I want good charred bovine, I have 2 uncles who are certified pyros and love grilling.

And what's with the name? Ruth's Chris?

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 09:39 PM

And what's with the name? Ruth's Chris?

I believe the name was originally "Chris Steakhouse", then Ruth (whatevever her last name is) bought it. Wanting to add her flare, yet keep the original identity, she named it "Ruth's Chris Steakhouse".

Phillip - you really should try it once. While a franchise, it's not that bad.... Posted Image

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted June 15 2005 - 11:03 PM

Ruth Chris Steakhouse is named after the lady that started it, Ruth Fertel when the chain was started sometime back, its an old New Orleans favorite just not in the french quarter. She has since died and now franchises are all around the country.
http://www.horatioal....memberid=FER95

Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

• 561 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 11:29 PM

Quote:
Too much $$$ for a piece of cow that I can grill better @ home. Unless you have money to burn, I don't see the attraction.

I agree. A steak can only be so good. For the kind of money I might spend at Ruth's Chris, I could go to a real fine dining establishment and get food prepared by a real chef.

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 01:23 AM

Quote:
Next time he is in the area, I'll take him to Capital Grille and give it a try.
Check reviews first. Despite not liking big corporate chains in general, I've been to the Capital Grille at Tyson's Corner once. Everyone in my group was dissapointed with the food and service. I won't go back.

I have sampled a lot of the Tyson's Corner and Leesburg restaurants but don't get in town that often. If you want a good steak and dont' mind a bit of a rustic atmosphere, I highly recommend JR's Stockyards Inn. If you're out for a really nice dinner and in the mood for beef, try Colvin Run Tavern, they have a fantastic carving cart.
Quote:
Phillip - you really should try it once. While a franchise, it's not that bad....
Why would I want to when the locals are so good?
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 03:14 AM

I have not been to the Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Minneapolis, but when I was on a business trip in New York we went to that location.

That was seriously the best steak i ever had. I didn't even need a steak sauce. We also had an appitizer of shrimp rolled up in bacon and sizzling in a butter sauce, i could of bathed in this stuff it was that good.

I've been to a few places steak places in our area, Timerlodge and Outback, while both are good steaks, they don't compare to Ruth's. A couple years ago we went to a local place called Manny's which is on the scale of Ruth's and i really was not impressed at all. I needed a steak sauce with it, there was just no flavor to the steak and I thought that Timberlodge was a lot better steak then Manny's.

Paul
If there be one of them who does not follow the way of the Snitzil, let that one go and do not throw bowling balls at them.

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
I highly recommend JR's Stockyards Inn.

I've been there and enjoyed it. As a matter of fact, I went there a week after my Morton's experience. Great food and service and about half the price.

I only mentioned Capital Grille because I've walked past their Penn Ave location in DC and their aging room can be viewed from the street. Seeing all those great cuts just made me salivate. Eventually I want to try all the great steak places in the DC area. Has any of the NOVA readership been to "Rays the Steaks" in Arlington. I've read glowing reviews in the "Post" and "Washingtonian".

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 16 2005 - 07:32 AM

I haven't been there yet......Posted Image

But right now I can BBQ outside, and my local butcher shop Partlow's sells some of the best cuts of beef I've ever seen (at appropriate pricesPosted Image ) so I may just DIY.....
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow