What's new

Valarie/Valarie's Family/Hogan Family (1 Viewer)

R. Kay

Second Unit
Would be nice if they released 'Three's a Crowd' to capitalize on Jeffrey 'Hey Now' Tambor.

;)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I don't see why we won't see TAC after Three's Company winds up.

Tambor was on TAC too? I know he was on The Ropers.

John*P

Second Unit
I'd buy all seasons of Valerie/The Hogan Family on DVD for sure. Its one of the most underrated of 80s sitcoms, IMO. I agree that now would be a good time to release it, what with Jason Bateman back on the scene and all.

Check out:The Hogan Family Online (watch the opening theme videos for a nostalgia rush)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
It would probably have been better for this title if an independent company (like Anchor Bay or Shout!) had been able to acquire it than Warners. There have been so few 80s family sitcoms released (especially past the first season) that the odds of V/VF/HF being released are not great.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Now with "Family Ties" finally coming to DVD, I wonder how close are we of seeing Warner Bros. release this? It just recently, once again, was pulled off ABC Family's schedule. I hope Warner Bros. is reading this, as I really would like to see this come to DVD. And if they're reading this particular thread, please restore the full, uncut opening and closing credits (with the correct title cards for their respective seasons) to Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family, and that the episodes are uncut (as well as the music intact). Bonus material would be nice.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
This series was being aired recently on ABC Family Channel but I hear they're pulling it, even though it's only been airing at 8am. There's a chance they could air it again at some point.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Yes, they were airing "Valerie's Family" (and they were almost done with Season 3) when they pulled it this week. This is the second time they've pulled it (and at the same point in the series too).

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator

Considering that this show is another acquisition property, hoping for correct restoration doesn't look good after the "Mama's Family" fiasco. It's a situation ripe for Warner to sing the "we didn't know they were cut" song again.

Of course this could be an opportunity for Lion's Gate to jump on board with this Lorimar production (a la "ALF") and release the syndication versions...all the while telling you that the 6th generation syndication versions are better quality than the uncut master tapes.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
ABC Family has pulled this show twice so far after airing it in 2 different time slots. That doesn't bode well at all. As much as I liked this show (and all it's incarnations) I have to say that it hasn't aged that well. Skimpy plots, strained jokes. But Edie McClurg is always a hoot !

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I have very fond memories of this show through all incarnations but I haven't seen it in many years. I'll consider buying this series when it finally gets released on DVD, I'm just not sure I will still enjoy it.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
No, he wasn't on Three's a Crowd. What reason would there be to have Jeffrey Tambor (who played Stanley & Helen's stuffy next door neighbor on "The Ropers") on both spinoffs from Three's Company? :D

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Tambor guest-starred on several memorable episodes of Three's Company, in various roles.

As for Hogan's...I dunno...I watched an episode a few weeks ago and didn't think much of it. I do remember it was one of my favorites when Valerie Harper was still on. It's just one of those shows like "Full House," "What's Happening" or "Family Ties" where it's popular in its own time, but doesn't seem to exist well outside of its time. The only shows that hold up over time have some kind of a classic feel to them--some hook that makes you remember the show fondly--not just the show's premise as a whole, but distinct episodes. Lots of sitcoms don't age so well, or seem corny or out of date not long after their airings, and I think it happens when all the episodes are too similar; when the plots are too light. Take for example, "One Day at a Time..." does anybody really remember a single plot from that show, other than the fact that they were always standing around the living room? I sure don't, and yet I saw almost the entire run of the show. Same with "Alice"...there were no plots, all they did was sit around the diner and swap wisecracks. It's not like with "The Brady Bunch" when you go, "oh yeah, I remember the episode where Jan wouldn't wear her glasses, or the episode where Greg became a pop star, or the episode where Peter saved the girl at the toy shop." That's just the way "classic" tv shows work--where you can later recall different episodes, not just the series as a whole. And I think that's what, unfortunately, "Hogan's" suffers from--too much sameness. I don't even remember the episode where Valerie died; they didn't make too much of it, if I recall; she died off-camera and she'd been in the ground for months before the new season started. I think this is what's keeping most of the 80s family sitcoms from dvd so far.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Since Warner told me tonight that they will continue to evaluate this, I just wanted to add that not only is this a childhood favorite (and an unreleased "holy grail" for me), but Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family holds a very special place in my heart. To see it again as it was originally broadcast, you don't know how happy this would make me Warner.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I was watching youtube the other night and the episode where Jason Batemen''s character on The Hogan Family had to deal with aids and his buddy Rich. That is one of the classic episode to touch on AIDS. I just hope this show is released on dvd. I have been collecting Mr Belvedere, Growing Pains, Family Ties and Silver Spoons and like the family sitcoms. TV today just does not reinforce the family values like the 1960-1980s accomplished.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i still hope they release this show, it was one of the better family sitcoms. I would rank it up there with the Cosby Show, Family Ties and Growing Pains. TV today does not really have any family sitcoms and we wonder why there are issues with the core family values now.

LizH

Second Unit
I thought it was OK (Nothing terribly special about it, though.)

Originally Posted by Ethan Riley )

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The good thing about these forums there is no right or wrong, but, opinion. Yes, the shows were good at the time, because they tough issues and some of them may or may not be relevant today. However, these shows emphasize family values and how you can jungle careers and family. If you look at the fabric of families today is significantly different because the computer and video games have become keys in the household. The internet has brought information in realtime, when in the past it was morning or evening news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks