Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help needed on new JVC DVD player problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Bobby S

Bobby S

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 09:59 AM

Hi, kids! I am hoping someone here can identify a big problem I'm having with my new JVC XV-NP10S dvd player. Just got this unit in April and connected it to brand new Sanyo HDTV via component cables. The problem is that almost every disc I play pauses by itself at various points during playback, then the picture stutters a little bit as if I was watching frame-by-frame, then it finally kicks in and plays OK for awhile. But then it will repeat the process all over again at some other point. I have switched between progressive scan and interlaced and there is no difference at all. Also some occasional pixelization/blocking shows up periodically, although very briefly. I called JVC and they told me to unplug the unit for 2 hours and then start it back up, but it made no difference. I called the place I got it from and was told to clean the tray and buy a laser cleaner to run in the player, but that they had never heard of this type of problem before. Neither have I. When playing properly the picture is beautiful. You just never know when the stuttering is going to kick in. I have tried 2 sets of component cables with the same result. So if anyone has had a similar experience or has any good suggestions on a cure for this problem please don't be shy and step forward. I'm really at wit's end here about what to do. Very frustrating indeed. Thanks for your time. Bob

#2 of 5 John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 10:10 AM

Every single disc???? If so, get a new/different player.

If it is not every disc, then it is hard not to suspect the discs....

If it were only once per disc, I'd say it's a poor layer change and normal.

If it is predicatable on any particular disc as in it happens at the exact same spot everytime, try to clean the disc with a wet paper towel, then a dry paper towel, then try it again in the same spot.

Sounds like it could just be a flakey player. I wouldn't say I have never seen an issue like this before, this is most commonly what happens on even great players when they get old and start getting flakey.

#3 of 5 Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted June 14 2005 - 11:41 AM

I was thinking along the same lines as John, sounds like poor layer change. If it is happening at the same spot on the perticular dvd and it is clean/scratch free then that is probably your culprit. Only solution I can think of is to get a better dvd player.

#4 of 5 John Gido

John Gido

Second Unit

• 312 posts

Posted June 15 2005 - 02:42 AM

Is there enough ventilation around the unit? I had a similar problem with my JVC XV-S45. It seemed that the unit would overheat because it was on top of my Digital Cable STB, which ran very hot. Once I moved the DVD player, evrything seemed to work OK.
Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support
group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.
-Drew Carey

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."-UnknownMy DVD Collection

#5 of 5 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,522 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted June 15 2005 - 04:23 AM

Not every DVD has a layer change, so the chance of it happening on every single disc is slim. I would return/exchange it under warranty, first for the same model to see if the problem persists, then for a different one if it does.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein